Ho Chi Minh (Saigon)

Hi All - I am looking for cigar friendly location and places to buy.

If you have experience there, can you recommend where to eat...

The bar at the Caravelle (Saigon Saigon) is smoke-friendly and has an ok selection of puros. Pricey but they are well kept in a locked cabinet humidor. There is also a LCDH kiosk on the ground floor, but it was closed when I tried to go.

In general, I found the prices in Vietnam to be absurdly high, and the LCDH kiosk in the Melia in Hanoi, which is the other place I bought smokes, did not care for their cigars well. One I bought there had green spots on it and the other burst its wrapper when I punched it.

As for restaurants, we went to the Nha Hang Ngon in Hanoi and liked it a great deal. I think there is one in Saigon as well, worth checking it out. We also enjoyed a French restaurant right next to the opera, can't remember the name. (Maybe Lafayette?)

• 2 years later...

Not to resurrect an old thread, but to answer the original question for those of you traveling to Saigon/HCMC, there is a decent cigar shop there called "The Humidor" located in District 1 in the Sun Wah building (where Citibank is) on Nguyen Hue avenue. You really can't miss the building, and Nguyen Hue is a major street. The Humidor is small, but they have a decent stock to help you survive. Monte 4's, 2's; Hoyo mainstays like E1&2, Cohiba Siglo VI, and many others. You'll have to ask a couple of times, since not a lot of the stock is out on display and the english skills are minimal. Keep asking and the girls start pulling out amazing surprises from the trunk behind the counter. I've found prices to be about 30% below the (very) high prices of Duty Free in Hong Kong, so it's no blazing steal, and certainly not in the league of FOH for value, but it will get you by and I'm happy to support the shop when I'm in town. And you can bargain on the accessories if you need a cutter, etc.

As to where to light up, hands down the best spot is just up the street at the Rooftop Bar of the Rex Hotel. After 7 they have live music and a wonderful, local feel, outdoor roof patio, with big cigar ash trays and an endless supply of wood matches!

One word of warning: I find cigars in Vietnam to tend to the over humidified. Not much you can do about that except "dry box" them in your hotel room with the A/C running! shead.gif

• 1 month later...

Will be in Saigon next week: Jan 7 - 11th if any of you adventurous types are there, let me know and we'll smoke a few at the Top of the Rex. cigar.gif

• 9 months later...

Hi all, sorry to bring up an old thread.

Friends are in HCM/Saigon until the end of the week.

Any ideas on where to go for box buys at decent prices e.g. RASS for *****int prices.

Also, will forward on The Humidor. Thanks PapaDisco.

Cheers.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Also, just to bring this subject current, you can smoke cigars (no cutting fee either) at Shri 72-74 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai. It's normally known for the food and great roof top view, but you can smoke outside or inside in the bar complete with cushy seats and great ventilation.

Other threads have mentioned the bar at the top of AB Tower (a proper cigar lounge), Siqar just off Dong Khoi, and the Top of the Rex among other great spots. The Boudoir lounge in the Sofitel (Le Duan street across from the U.S. Consulate) also allows cigar smoking inside.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Another addition to Saigon: I'm currently in the brand new Social Club cigar lounge on the 23rd floor of the M Gallery hotel (76 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street in District 1) next door to Shri restaurant in the Centec Tower (Shri and Social Club are actually connected by a freaky looking glass skywalk). Good bar, lots of comfy seating, music a bit loud, nice view. Not much cigar stock but no cutting fee so you can bring your own and smoke in air conditioned comfort!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Also, just to bring this subject current, you can smoke cigars (no cutting fee either) at Shri 72-74 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai. It's normally known for the food and great roof top view, but you can smoke outside or inside in the bar complete with cushy seats and great ventilation.

Other threads have mentioned the bar at the top of AB Tower (a proper cigar lounge), Siqar just off Dong Khoi, and the Top of the Rex among other great spots. The Boudoir lounge in the Sofitel (Le Duan street across from the U.S. Consulate) also allows cigar smoking inside.

Sadly, Shri restaurant has banned cigar (but not cigarette) smoking inside. You can still smoke outside, but they've remodeled the interior bar to include a cozy whiskey tasting room that looks like the perfect cigar lounge; I asked my waitress if one could light up there (Shri used to be smoke friendly throughout the entire interior dining room and bar) and she assured me yes, but once I had my Sancho Panza Bellicoso lit the manager came over and told me 'no cigars.' Nice guy though, he let me finish the stick since there was no one else in the whiskey lounge at the time. Cigarette smoking is still allowed throughout. Go figure! :cigar:

• 1 year later...

A bit of good news/bad news in Saigon.  First the good:  the Rex Hotel, home to one of Saigon's classic rooftop bars, now has a walk-in humidor and shop on the ground floor hosted by the same folks running the high end Saigon Cigar bar at the top of AB Tower.  And it's a very decent selection.  The bad news is prices: a CoRo retails for $120 :o but hey, at least you can get one when the mood strikes and your own cigar case is running on empty. :cigar: 

• 3 months later...