Whats your setup?

Cohiba Stevie

622 members have voted

1. 1. What type of humidor are you using?

2. 2. What type of humification are you using?

• Active (Please specify: Cigar Oasis, Hydra etc.)
    • Passive (Please specify: Heartfelt beads, HCM beads, Boveda, crystals etc.)
    • Basic (distilled water / PG solution with foam humidifier)
    • Other (Please specify with post)
  3. 3. Does your collection mainly consist of

• All singles, unboxed.
    • Mostly singles unboxed, with 1 or 2 boxes
    • Boxes only
    • Mostly boxes, with a few singles in dedicated compartment.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just about full, time to decide what's next. 

Here's my Aristocrat. Two active humidifers on the bottom, three fans and temp controlled. I'd say it works great, although the humidity at to top of the unit is typically 2-3% below the bottom, whe

Think I have posted about my set-up before - here's the details : 90% of my cigars are in inside metal lockers from a German company named Zarges that are water/airtight and those metal lockers are

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I'm new and my name is Ryan. I researched many ways of storing cigars and decided to go with this method and am very happy I did.

So what is your setup?

* Free bar fridge with glass door from Ranbuild. Turned off and kept in a cupboard.

notes. Tip! To remove any plastic smells or other odours wash the internal walls with distilled water and go to the pet shop and get an activated charcoal bag and put it in the fridge for 2 days with door shut before you do anything else. After 2 days take it out. This will have soaked up an odours.

* Unscented kitty litter crystals (large ones) in a media bag.

notes. Before you insert cigars for the first time (when your seasoning the fridgedor) put these in the bottom of the fridge(humid air rises) in a dry state initially for 2 days and see what humidity is then. If low then lightly spray some distilled water on it and check again in 2 days. You should also put 5-6 empty cigar boxes in now as well.

* 2 digital hygrometers. Place one towards top of fridge and the other in the middle.

* Empty cigar boxes to fill up free space which acts as ceder shelves substitutes (for smell and humidity absorption/regulation).

notes. Depending on how many full cigar boxes you put in will depend on how many empty ones you will need. The rule is to keep the fridge relatively full of boxes all the time. n.b the photos attached were taken before I put in all of my full boxes so it looks a bit empty. As stated earlier, when seasoning the fridge put in ONLY empty boxes.

* I also have 2 desktop humidors for storing singles as the fridge is only used to store boxes.

Why does it work for you?

Keeps perfect humidity. The hygrometer, from **** Smith, has also an external temperature sensor connected to a cable. I have run the cable between the door and the cabinet and that creates a very small opening in the seal which keeps the air from going stale. I'm not sure why people try and make a fridge completely air tight. If you bought a timber cabinet humidor then that wouldn't be air tight anyway. You do need to have a tiny bit of air exchange.

What problems do you face if any?

None. Recommend this way to everyone. Go down to Big W or somewhere and get a really cheap bar fridge WITH a glass front door. Doesn't matter if you even get a second hand one and it doesn't work as you don't turn it on. Although this is suitable for my climate (Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW) it may not work for those in hotter climates.

attachicon.gifIMG_6442.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6446.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6458.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6455.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6445.JPG

great setup...any reason why you havent enabled the fan at the back? is circulation not good?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1434065103.923821.jpg

I'm slowing running out of space. The biggest issue for me was planning for growth. I still have 5 boxes in transit...I told wifey most are empty boxes. Not sure how far I'm going to get with that one.

You better hope wifey doesn't do a spring/winter (whichever hemisphere you live in) clean up..

The below image is data from my existing wine fridge/cooler that is running with a compressor. for two weeks I tried making both temp and humidity consistent, however failed. this diagram is mainly to assist others not to bother with compressor types (in my opinion) unless you have a PHD like Ray. peace.gif

xc7wi1.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So what is your setup? I have a Vinotemp Humidor http://www.vinotemp.com/View.aspx/3045/Thermoelectric-Humidor. This thing crapped out shortly after its warranty expired but I have it in a temperature controlled room now so it is always off anyway. The cabinet looks good and has a great seal so it gets the job done. I also have a small coolerdor for backup storage and use passive humidification (Boveda 65%) in both locations.

Why does it work for you? I am a fairly light/recreational smoker and don't need to be able to store more than 4-500 cigars to keep a fair amount of stock aging. I can get about 250 each in both storage solutions, but always try to keep extra room for 2-3 boxes in case something grabs my attention.

What problems do you face if any? None!

• 2 weeks later...

Some amazing setups on here. I am working my way there . As of now I have a Tuscany humidor I ordered on Amazon, and after I filled that up with around 85 cc and 10 or so nc sticks I bought a Daniel Marshall ambiente 125 cigar humidor and now that is full.

After all this I Was going to order a end table humidor to start storing full boxes but winded up getting a 2.5 cubic foot whytner prefab frigador

I only started smoking more ccs recently (I've had them over the years here and there when overseas but never acquired them in the USA until I found out how easily they can be had on the Internet) and before this smoked Nc cigars for a few years. With the nc cigars I've never had more than a box or so on hand because I know I can always go to multiple local bnm with a huge selection at my fingertips. But with the scarcity of Cubans in my country it's created a need to stockpile. Also the fear that the end of the embargo will increase demand and decrease quality . It's funny cause I never thought I would fill up a 100 count but when I did I told my self 100 isn't enough then I filled up another 100 and still felt it wasn't enough now on to this 2.5 cubic foot fridge to fill with boxes I don't know when this madness will end or if it ever will!

funny cause I never thought I would fill up a 100 count but when I did I told my self 100 isn't enough then I filled up another 100 and still felt it wasn't enough now on to this 2.5 cubic foot fridge to fill with boxes I don't know when this madness will end or if it ever will!

The madness doesn't end... It merely gets worse... In a good way :P
  • Like 1

I have 2 large desktops full and 2-48 quart ice chest. One chest is all boxes and the other has a mix of singles and boxes. I have around 700-800 cigars on hand. If i get to many more i will need another desktop or cooler. I have pictures but they are nothing fancy, Ive wanted for yrs to build my own cabinet but that has yet to happen lol.

I finally did it. After four years of saving up all my spare pennies, I realized a dream I have had for a very long time. Yesterday I took delivery of an Aristocrat humidor model MXT plus 19. These are more beautiful to behold in person as compared to pictures on a web site.

Even the wife and kids can't stop admiring it. Needless to say I am very happy with it.

• Like 4

I finally did it. After four years of saving up all my spare pennies, I realized a dream I have had for a very long time. Yesterday I took delivery of an Aristocrat humidor model MXT plus 19. These are more beautiful to behold in person as compared to pictures on a web site.

Even the wife and kids can't stop admiring it. Needless to say I am very happy with it.

That is a great looking humidor. Now you have to save more pennies to fill it up. ?

Very nice, maduro! You're going to love it. Bob does great work. Follow his instructions on seasoning and take at least a full week. Then comes the fun part. Get busy filling that thing up. Take pictures along the way and it'll be fun to look back at the progression as it fills up. Plus, you can post your progress here. Congratulations on making a great investment in an heirloom quality piece.

• 3 weeks later...

i love how the trend is now stacked double fridges.... hole.gif

And then the stack is too small !!

No space for the 24:24

So

You go nuts and this happens.....

P1000009_resize_zpsdmxkpgfl.jpg

Cheers

PS Dimmers

I'll explain at Havanathon smile.png

Cheers

• Like 4

Gotta start somewhere.

Whynter 16 bottle, drain hole plugged. Boveda pack at the bottom rear to manage the moisture that the drainplug would normally handle. The high reading was from having the fridge door open and re-arranging a while ago. Generally stays 63-65 degrees and similar RH.

Gonna have to start playing tetris with it after a few more 24:24s.

TtFF2TNl.jpg

Here's my Aristocrat. Two active humidifers on the bottom, three fans and temp controlled. I'd say it works great, although the humidity at to top of the unit is typically 2-3% below the bottom, where the active humidifers are located. I don't think this is a problem with the system as much as it is the fact that the thing is packed full of boxes (and it's actually quite a bit fuller now than in the pic below) and the streams of humid air have a difficult time making it up to the top shelf.

Also, while the internal fans are virtually silent, the humidifers are not and they run quite often. So much so that I wish there was a quieter option. If I were to do this over, in addition to making the unit 2x the size, I would probably ask Bob to find a quieter option for the humidifers even if that option took up more space.

6470351063_d6615e39ec_b.jpg

Do the vinyl boxes throw things off for you? I've heard that they can pose problems when trying to store sticks.

• Like 1