Whats your setup?

Cohiba Stevie

622 members have voted

1. 1. What type of humidor are you using?

2. 2. What type of humification are you using?

• Active (Please specify: Cigar Oasis, Hydra etc.)
    • Passive (Please specify: Heartfelt beads, HCM beads, Boveda, crystals etc.)
    • Basic (distilled water / PG solution with foam humidifier)
    • Other (Please specify with post)
  3. 3. Does your collection mainly consist of

• All singles, unboxed.
    • Mostly singles unboxed, with 1 or 2 boxes
    • Boxes only
    • Mostly boxes, with a few singles in dedicated compartment.

This poll is closed to new votes

I thought I'd share my humi setup, that after years of using different storage ideas, finally settled into near perfection for me.

When I started 'collecting' (i.e. - having too many cigars to fit into my desktop box) initally a large cooler was used to hold my boxes, stored in the cool, humid basement. This worked fine but was ugly, and getting to boxes from the top down was a pain. I then started using a small refrigerator, a larger 'dorm room' size, with just beads in it, and this worked great for many years. But having a mini fridge in my office was just not part of good decor to the misses, so I searched for something nice to look at.

I found it and more in an antique, copper sterilizing cabinet from a university that was modernizing their lab building. It not only looks awesome but works perfectly, holding just enough boxes to not let me think am taking this cigar collecting thing into the 'cat lady' phase.

The humidor weighs about 150 pounds with all the metal structure being copper and a ceramic insulation inside, hidden behind an interior of copper sheet walls. On the top are 3 vents that go into the humi chamber and let me control the humidity should excess show up from the small container of beads I use for moisture.

Screened copper shelves keep a good flow inside and take up only 5mm of vertical space. It is deep enough to store 2 boxes deep and can hold 24 SLB's.

It has been in use now for a year and I love it, I am inside enough (almost daily) to see on the battery powered gauge how the temp and humidity is doing and maintenance has been almost nil except for adding a little water every 2 weeks.

Thought I'd share, I'm rather proud of how well it looks and works.

That's really classy mate. Good project!!

Cheers. -the Pig

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just about full, time to decide what's next. 

Here's my Aristocrat. Two active humidifers on the bottom, three fans and temp controlled. I'd say it works great, although the humidity at to top of the unit is typically 2-3% below the bottom, whe

Think I have posted about my set-up before - here's the details : 90% of my cigars are in inside metal lockers from a German company named Zarges that are water/airtight and those metal lockers are

That's an amazing piece of work. I love seeing the conversion of non-furniture pieces into humidors! Myself, I would love to find a bunch of vintage Coke machines and convert them into humidors.

I thought I'd share my humi setup, that after years of using different storage ideas, finally settled into near perfection for me.

When I started 'collecting' (i.e. - having too many cigars to fit into my desktop box) initally a large cooler was used to hold my boxes, stored in the cool, humid basement. This worked fine but was ugly, and getting to boxes from the top down was a pain. I then started using a small refrigerator, a larger 'dorm room' size, with just beads in it, and this worked great for many years. But having a mini fridge in my office was just not part of good decor to the misses, so I searched for something nice to look at.

I found it and more in an antique, copper sterilizing cabinet from a university that was modernizing their lab building. It not only looks awesome but works perfectly, holding just enough boxes to not let me think am taking this cigar collecting thing into the 'cat lady' phase.

The humidor weighs about 150 pounds with all the metal structure being copper and a ceramic insulation inside, hidden behind an interior of copper sheet walls. On the top are 3 vents that go into the humi chamber and let me control the humidity should excess show up from the small container of beads I use for moisture.

Screened copper shelves keep a good flow inside and take up only 5mm of vertical space. It is deep enough to store 2 boxes deep and can hold 24 SLB's.

It has been in use now for a year and I love it, I am inside enough (almost daily) to see on the battery powered gauge how the temp and humidity is doing and maintenance has been almost nil except for adding a little water every 2 weeks.

Wow, What a stunning piece of kit

I've got a thing for copper at the best of times but yours is something else

Nice Work!

• 1 month later...

Vintec 30 bottle wine fridge. All i have done is brought it home and plugged it in and filled it with about 8 empty cedar cigar boxes. Have no beads in it or anything but the temp hovers between 16 and 18 degrees C while the humidity ranges between 64 and 70 in the upper shelves and 61 to 65 on the lower shelves. I've ordered the beads but just waiting for them.

Very happy with this thing, its the easiest way to make sure the sticks stay in decent temp and humidity i think, can't beleive i didn't do this sooner.

• 1 month later...

There are some amazing humidors here, very inspiring. Thank you for sharing. I thought I would show my appreciation.

This a 28 count Wine Enthusiast, works great. I built the cedar shelves with my Dad, bought the Spanish Cedar at a local lumber yard. Added two pounds of 65% beads. And recently added two oust fans, top and bottom.

On top of the fridge is a Daniel Marshall 100 count, however I just emptied it and put the singles in the fridge. My place gets to warm in the summer. I'm just not comfortable with freezing cigars. I hate not having cigars in the DM, it's such a nice humidor.

Well this is my setup!!

post-16577-0-59297200-1362428121_thumb.j

post-16577-0-95015600-1362428158_thumb.j

I bought a Haier two zone wine fridge (40 ct) for 50 dollars from a guy who was selling it in non-working condition on craigs list. I decided to take it on as a project and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it for the longest time. After a few months of letting my friend "take a look at it", I took it back and was able to find the missing part for 30 dollars online.

I fired it up the other day and it cools just fine although my apartment never gets much higher than 68-70F so it will probably never kick on unless it happens to be REALLY hot one day. Either way it works now and now I just need to test how well it holds humidity. If it does a good job I Am going to build some cedar shelves, install some fans for circulation on a timer and put a shell on the outside of it so that it looks like a varnished 898 box complete with stencil of the RA logo.

Here it is currently (empty boxes, just testing the seal)

RboiPALl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...

A year on and this thread still continues to amaze me.

Thankyou to everybody for their posts and I urge all forum members to keep them coming.

I think this thread can prove an invaluable resource for those just starting out and will also document over the years how cigar storage will evolve.

A sincere thankyou to everybody that has contributed.

Mods: as a long and good standing (i hope lol) member of this fantastic forum, this is my formal request that this post be stickied as an easy accessed gateway to sound cigar storage advice for everybody.

I think it can and only will add further value to what has become the best cigar related website in the world.

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great Humi......thumbsup.gif

I recently received my Aristocrat cabinet from Bob late last month and couldn't be more pleased. I went from two 150qt coolers, a Montegue End Table, and a Wineador to this one cabinet. 60" x 42" x 25"

null-17.jpg

null-22.jpg

Each end has the humidification unit with fans and there are additional fans at the top of the unit - I didn't go with a cooled cabinet as the basement where it resides never climbs as high as 70 degrees