Hoyo de Monterrey 'Le Hoyo' series

Hi BOTL’s and SOTL’s

I did a review on the complete ‘Le Hoyo’ Series for a Dutch cigar board. Realising I didn’t do a review yet on FOH I thought this was a good opportunity to make some changes. It’s a bit of a coarse and shortened/ simplified translation while some markers will be complete abstract to readers outside the Netherlands (anyone for liquorice?) still I hope this will be evenly entertaining, in a positive sense that is, as it was for me writing this. Scores are done from a 0 (poison) to 10 (devine bliss and beyond) scale. Please forgive any mistakes in spelling and grammar... English is not my first language, making the translation of emotions quite difficult...

hoyooverzicht.jpg

Le Hoyo du Gourmet LUS OCT 09 33 x 170mm Palmas/Slim Panetela

Hoyo_du_Gourmet.jpg

Appearance: Very elegant with a slightly oily Colorado wrapper. There are some veins and some toothy spots which at this thin gauge seem amplified but giving a certain rustic look and feel. Sometimes you don’t want them too sleek...

Construction: This Gourmet feel good. No soft or hard spot and it’s complimented by a almost perfect draw. Just a tiny bit on the light side. The burn is razor sharp, somewhat fast and it needs your full attention as it tends to extinct itself quite rapidly. The ashes are white, quite solid and we have tons of creamy smoke.

Taste: Pre draw sees some subtle notes of currants, wood and clean notes of tobacco. When lighting the cigar the taste is there. No need for a first few puffs to start things up. Clean tobacco, soft woodsy notes, some liquorice and a touch of honey. In the second part the balance and cleanliness really stand out. Also more notes of liquorice, some yellow fruits, brioche/light toast, almonds and int he background some leather. The body increases from very light to light. Into the third part notes of subtle pepper surrounded by some notes of eycalyptus and some cloves followed by caramel, hay and clean tobacco. Everything is very balanced and civilised. At the very end some espresso and red grapefruit. Great smoke!

What a great smoke this is. The balance and overall cleanliness are outstanding. Also this cigar makes you want to smoke more, a true tobacco appetiser. Given enough care whilst smoking this cigar will bring you loads of light bodied enjoyment and whilst it might not be a superstar, it sure is one of those intense ‘je ne sais quo’ moments. Highly recommended and a solid 8.3 points.

Le Hoyo du Maire BOA MAY 10 30 x 100mm Entreactos/Small Panetela

Hoyo_du_Maire.jpg

Appearance: Well... it’s small, really small. As a friend said about the Maire “Wow, what a Barbie-doll this cigar is and yet, hand rolled and all... so serious” The colorado wrapper has a gentle sheen and like the Gourmet, it has this rustic look. The tripple cap something special at this size.

Construction: The Maire feels good and evenly filled. Draw is good with a healthy amount of resistance which at this size is of great help preventing a ‘racy’ smoke and thus a bitter experience. It has quite a quick and hot burn and generates medium grey ashes. As I wrote: ‘So serious’.

Taste: Pre draw has notes of cedar, liquorice and dried stone fruits. Also some tropical wood (jotobá). At the start notes of ‘lively’ pepper and quite some wood and I get a flimsy feel in my mouth. Notes of roasted meat and dried apricots. Nice! One would not expect a lot of evolution in a cigars this size but still, there is some. It starts of concentrate on the woody notes, but not overly so and the body intensifies whilst it remais quite balanced. Towards the ens we’ll see the most evolution as notes of... sauteed mushrooms (yes!) join in, as well as notes of caramel, humus and dried ferns.

Well, the Mayor turns out to be a nano-sized heavy weight. Power and intensity are all there. One must take extreme care as to not overheat this small cigar as it will bring nothing that blak-holed bitterness. When looking for a quick (25 mins) but serious smoke that gets you out of every day hectic life, this is your choice. This example 7.6 points, more aged examples I had are all around 8.0.

Le Hoyo du Deputé OPM OCT 09 38 x 110mm Trabucos/Short Panetela

Hoyo_du_Depute.jpg

Appearance: Technically a severe shortened Laguito #1 – or a less severe shortened #2 if you like. This example has a Colorado Maduro wrapper which to me is a source of concern, I’m not too fond of darker wrappers on thin gauge cigars feeling they’re too dominant in the overall flavor.

Construction: This example feel somewhat tight but the draw is good. The burn is somewhat off-line but corrects itself so that’s no concern at all. It could have generated some more smoke, I really had to work for it which is always a bit of a hassle at this ring gauge, you’ll overheat quite easily.

Taste: Pre draw shows notes of clean tobacco and wood but all seems a bit shy. The first part however is quite outgoing with notes of cream, cereals and cooked milk. This is followed by notes of cedar and toast whilst a little acidity joins in. The whole evolves towards creamy almonds, sesame oil and water crackers. The ‘little acidity’ turns for the worst... ammonia. Damn you youth! A small purge does miracles and from half way we see a solid platform of nuts, toast and dried ferns. The acidity returns in the very last part but is too late to cause any harm.

This example was a bit too young... although I suspect a bit of sick stage. For a few hours I had a strong taste of ammonia in my mouth. Very unpleasant to say the least. I had some examples that were more aged and from those I can tell this can be a very nice cigar. My cabinet stays closed for at least another year... This example scores 6.0 points, the more aged examples are around 7.5 points.

Le Hoyo du Prince LAG FEB 11 40 x 130mm Almuerzos/Corona

Hoyo_du_Prince.jpg

Appearance: Ah, one of those cigars where the relation gauge/length completely goes wrong. To my eyes that is. It looks a lot smaller than actual. Well, being a unique vitola in the Habanos catalogue we should give it a fair chance (as with all cigars...) So, we have a healthy oiled Colorado wrapper with the by now well known rustic looks. This example is quite high in weight (It occurred to me in contrast, Cubans seem quite underweighted the last two or so years – grab that Behike 56 and tell me if you find a realistic correlation between dimensions and weight)

Construction: Besides the relative heavy weight this example has an even feel, no soft or hard spots at all. Draw is good, just a little resistance. The burn is somewhat less. The first half needs some corrections and I got three small tunnels but all got for the better better in the second half. I would say no real issues.

Taste: Pre draw has tobacco, some honey/beeswax and wood. The start is earthy and woody. Notes of sourish leather, cloves and dark toast are to follow. The young age shows by some ammonia in the background. Let’s hope it stays there... The second part becomes somewhat rough edged, the notes of the first part remain whilst the relative roughness brings an old-skool feel to this cigar. The third part sees increased notes of earth/humus and the whole becomes more creamy. Also notes of dark chocolate (70%), espresso and a fruity, slightly sweet edge which reminds me of morello cherries. The young age now breaks bad. The ammonia, before in the background, starts to scream and no matter how hard I try, it’s here to stay. An undignified end of an otherwise interesting cigar...

Right, like the Deputé this example has issues due to its youth but it certainly brought an amount of enjoyment that made me decide to go for a cab. It’s not at the level of the well known Petit Corona’s (i.e. Party Shorts, PLPC or Boli PC) but the Prince has this certain 'smokability' which I really like. So looking for an smoke for just a relaxing moment whilst having enough complexity on offer if needed? This might be a good choice. This example 6.8 points but I can see this when aged properly reaching 8.0 points.

Le Hoyo du Dauphin +/- 2003 38 x 152mm Laguito No. 2/Panetela-T discontinued 2003

Hoyo_du_Dauphin.jpg

Appearance: Entering the more well-known vitola area: a pig-tailed Laguito #2. And this time a ‘Le Hoyo’ that really looks good. An oily Colorado wrapper with just the tiniest of veins. Eye-candy! Kindly provided for this review by FOH’s very own DougB!!

Construction: There are some hard spots and the draw is quite heavy but doable. The burn is quite quick and off-line so this was a very ‘active’ smoke that needed lots of attention towards corrections and not trying to overheat.

Taste: Pre draw sees notes od currants, caramel, dried fruits and some wood. The first part notes of liquorice, leather and subtle earthy notes. Brioche, pencil shavings, creamy coffee and pepper are to follow. Balance is fine and as with the Maire I get this flimsy feel in my mouth. The second part sees increased notes of pencil shavings, notes of sweet hay, dried ferns, anise/fennel and a nice herbal feel. The body increases from light to medium. Third part sees notes of pepper, humus and dark toast. This Dauphin had quite some build up of tar and nicotine, had to cut it for a second time. Fun part was the heavy note of eucalyptus I had for over an hour after smoking this cigar.

Despite the issues with the construction this is certainly a very good cigar. A more than decent evolution and complexity to keep you entertained for over an hour. This would be a serious match for the Cohiba Coronas Especiales but as we know, Habanos doesn’t like competitors for its crown jewel. Too bad the Dauphin is discontinued I would have loved to try one with a good construction. 7.9 points on taste alone, combined with the construction 7.1 points.

Le Hoyo du Roi +/- 2003 (5-pack) 42x142mm Coronas/Corona Discontinued 2009

Hoyo_du_Roi.jpg

Appearance: A classic Corona, simply a joy to look at. This example has a Colorado Maduro wrapper with some large veins and dark spots and has a certain feel to it, quite velvety. Oh... I do like the old Hoyo band so much better...

Construction: Draw is somewhat heavy but I get more than enough smoke. Ashes are quite dark and flakey which make for a rather off-beat ‘crown’ for this Roi. Burn is somewhat disappointing and some touching up is needed whilst smoking. I had to do a purge halfway which gave quite a flash, something one wouldn’t expect from a cigar with almost 10 years of age...

Taste: Pre draw has gentle notes of currants, tobacco, subtle earth and leather. The start is great! Leather, jotobá, currants, roasted meat, leather and linseed oil. Later on also some roasted almonds. Great balance and a lovely medium body. The second part is more creamy. Cappucchino, milk chocolate and more subtle yet intense note of humus and then suddenly the evolution stops... It does give that lovely flimsy feel but it becomes a somewhat of a ‘meeting expectations’-smoke. Third part seems some woody notes as well as pepper, chicory and walnuts. Too bad it didn’t had the stamina of the first part...

Despite the problems concerning the burn and the almost loss of my eyebrows I’m quite happy with this specific Roi. Other ones I had were... bland to say the least. Not bad but somewhat boring and never beyond the stage of expectations. This off course my personal opinion. 7.7 points for this example, most Roi’s I tried were around 7.0 points.

Le Hoyo des Dieux NPO MAY 03 (50 cab) 42 x 155mm Coronas Grandes/Long Corona

Hoyo_des_Dieux.jpg

Appearance: Okay, I have a soft spot for Corona Grandes. The almost ultimate dimensions (that spot is taken by the Cervantes). A medium oily Colorado Maduro wrapper with a few larger veins and some toothy spots. I’m tempted to use the word ‘Rustic’ – again, but his time it’s different, there’s a certain aura surrounding this cigar (which has nothing to do with the recent uproar about 2003 Des Dieux). It just looks great.

Construction: This example is a kind of a light weight, some soft spots and not surprisingly, shows a tunnel during smoking. Luckily this is of no negative influence on the burn or overall enjoyment. The draw is a bit too light (re. tunnel). Burn is razor sharp, tons of smoke but ashes are really loose. Being to slow for three times it was quite a messy smoke...

Taste: Pre draw is somewhat timid. Some tobacco, liquorice, dired stone fruits and jotobá. The start is anything but timid. Pepper and heaps of wood. There is no complexity as such but one can already sense it underneath. Quite special. Notes of pencil shavings, macadamia nuts and cocoa powder. The pepper settles down a bit and brings an extra dimension to the medium body. All kinds of different wood (jotobá and rosewood and other kinds I just can’t name...), fresh roasted coffee beans and the return of the dried fruits I had from the pre draw (apricot, figs, dates). Half way thru the cigar it really intensifies whilst notes of beeswax, leather, dried oak leaves, butterscotch and dried shi-take mushrooms add on. The last part sees notes of dark honey and some kind of a wood explosion. Mind you, it all stays very civilised, the balance is simply impeccable!

Well, it’s totally clear why the Dieux is considered the best amongst the “’e Hoyo’s’. Everything seems to be right about this cigar. If you’re into woodsy notes that is... There is this tension between brutal power and sheer civilistion which I find intriguing. A classic. Only drawback is ageing. An example from a 2008 cab I had recently was, well... not soo good. A Dieux needs serious ageing before it can show something great that reminds you why you got into cigars in the first place. Period. 9.0 points.

A final tought. I had a wonderful time smoking this line. Despite the constructional issues and the examples that were simply to young I think the Le Hoyo’s are worth trying and considering buying a cabinet of a prefered vitola. They might not be ‘in yer face’, they might not be the highlight of cigar cult (although Dieux is...) and they might not be the ultimate poser’s tool, they do make for a very nice alternative for the well known marca’s offering quite unique vitola’s and show the more charming side of smoking a cigar, perhaps even bring out an enjoyable, slightly melancholic contemplation.

final.jpg

• Like 2

Well done mate :clap:

I enjoy the Le Hoyo line and have smoked most of the series.

The only negative about this line is its need for prolonged periods of aging for it to start showing its potential.

What a lot of people don't know about this line is that it has similar DNA to Davidoff's Chateau Series. Apparently, the "original" blend of the legendary Davidoff Series was the identical twin of the Le Hoyo seires.

Bravo. I personally am a big fan of the Prince - the older stock does taste better as you imply - sourness and sharpness goes away and all you get is a little bit of white pepper and a complex creamy profile.

Have you tried the La Escepcion?

First, thanks all for the kind words! It was a pleasure doing, so there's more to follow!

Bravo. I personally am a big fan of the Prince - the older stock does taste better as you imply - sourness and sharpness goes away and all you get is a little bit of white pepper and a complex creamy profile.

Have you tried the La Escepcion?

La Escepcion??? no(t) (yet)... it's somewhat funny to see boxes poping up all over the world but over here in the Netherlands and Belgium many have great trouble sourcing down even a single unsure.gif

I've read some comments about a certain simularity in taste compared to Hoyo...

First, thanks all for the kind words! It was a pleasure doing, so there's more to follow!

La Escepcion??? no(t) (yet)... it's somewhat funny to see boxes poping up all over the world but over here in the Netherlands and Belgium many have great trouble sourcing down even a single unsure.gif

I've read some comments about a certain simularity in taste compared to Hoyo...

This was made by HdM for the release. I found it to be very Le Hoyo-esque. Looks as if Im not the only one from what you say! Specifically what I imagine a panatela version of Hoyo du Roi and Hoyo du Prince to be like.

This was made by HdM for the release. I found it to be very Le Hoyo-esque. Looks as if Im not the only one from what you say! Specifically what I imagine a panatela version of Hoyo du Roi and Hoyo du Prince to be like.

Speaking of the devil... this tuesday I have a single of the La Escepcion! I'll keep this (^) in mind...

Speaking of the devil... this tuesday I have a single of the La Escepcion! I'll keep this (^) in mind...

Yea?! Nice, hopefully it's been sitting and acclimating to temp/rh for you. I can't wait to see what you think.

Am I to infer that you do find the des Dieux as your favorite in the Le Hoyo line? I'm a du Prince and du Roi fan. With age, the Prince cannot be beat!

Yea?! Nice, hopefully it's been sitting and acclimating to temp/rh for you. I can't wait to see what you think.

Am I to infer that you do find the des Dieux as your favorite in the Le Hoyo line? I'm a du Prince and du Roi fan. With age, the Prince cannot be beat!

Aged Dieux is favorite, Gourmet close behind. Prince might be the dark horse... I will get a cab of 'Prince' and have it aged!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a wonderful looking cigar that still has to be smoked... :lol:

IMG_1511.jpg

nice pic :whisper::innocent::devil2:

Wow man! Amazing work and effort here! Great review. Thank u so much for this. :thumbsup:

+1,

awesome insightful review! :perfect10: