Hoyo de Monterrey 'Le Hoyo' series

• 10 months later...

Hi Michel1968,

This was wonderful the way you reviewed the whole cigar line together. It really helps put the picture together for me.

I have only tried the 2003 Dieux so far, which was wonderful.

Thank you very much for sharing,

Curtiss

• 4 years later...

Du Prince are one of my favourites. I picked up a '13 box in Barcelona in the summer, allowing me to keep my hands off my 40-odd remaining '16s. It's problematic as they're such a nice cigar and no longer being made. Creamy, rich, complex and in a neat PC-ish size. Cue much wringing of hand about HSA's production cessation policies...

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

5 years ago, when this excellent review series was published, who would have known that all these cigars would be deleted or in hiatus, bar the du Depute and du Maire?

The du Maire is a cigar I plan to pick up in the next 3 to 6 months, as I don't mind the small panetela size, 30 rg x 100 mm. The du Prince I basically stopped smoking when they were announced as an upcoming deletion in 2017 (and saved the rest until later). I've gone through three-quarters of a '15 du Depute box since the middle of the year. They've been fairly consistent in their light cocoa, cedar, nut and toast profile. Sometimes I'd get a little vanilla out of them. My personal view is that the 'Le Hoyo' series cigars benefit greatly from resting, where they can develop 'tea' flavours and a combined wood/creamy texture comes to the fore.

12 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

Anyone had a de depute/marie/prince lately???

Yes.  Did a box split of some '15 du Prince.  A couple have been outstanding and tasting well beyond their age, the rest I had were meh at best - probably just far too young.  I gifted a couple and have 2 left which I'm just going to forget about for several more years.  Wrappers were that matte babyshit brown/green that's been around more lately, so I can only assume the difference is in the filler.

Also received a Depute from '16 in a trade.  It was dark in the room and I thought I was grabbing a RASCC, but grabbed that sucker, cut and lit before I knew what was going on.  It exploded out of the gate like some of the best aged des Dieux or du Gourmet I've ever had - literally cascades of cream, exotic wood and cinnamon.  I was so shocked and enamored by the flavor profile that I looked down, saw the "mistake" I had made (beautiful oily rosado wrapper) then settled into the best Hoyo I've had in recent memory (surpassing a '03 des Dieux from the same trade that was outstanding as well!).  The middle third turned to less cream, even deeper wood (increasingly exotic) and more of an undifferentiated sweet kitchen spice.  Last third was a return of cream, duller woods and a sweet finish.

Now I'm on the hunt for a quality box of the Depute.  Don't know if it was a one-off or what, but something that good so young is worth a gamble on a box purchase.  Other than some aged du Gourmet I flew through over the last couple years, that was probably the best Hoyo experience I've ever had.

Happy hunting!  If you find anything noteworthy (good or bad) in the le Hoyo line, reply and let us know! 

Glad to hear you enjoyed that du depute @earthson I’ve got a few people hooked on that cigar. I’m now a fan of the du depute and it is always nice to have some options in the minuto-ish sized cigars. 

Like @JohnS I’ve plowed through a third of a box of 16 du deputes and several have been phenomenal and reminiscent or des dieux. Others just average. 

Never really been wowed by the prince, but I do like the maires every now and then. Price being relatively similar between the three, I’ll cntinue to stock up on the du depute. One other perk is that they don’t take up much space in a humidor, space being a premium not to be taken lightly. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...