Cabinet Humidor Project

wkoti

So getting back to Vegas, I'll have a place to work again, and because my father and I have outgrown 4 28 bottle Vinotemps, and then a Aristocrat M+ 25D, it's time for something bigger. But I don't feel like paying Bob Staebell pricing again, so he's what I have in the works. I have a considerable amount of singles and boxes, and need plenty of places to keep them both of them. It's a dual zone humidor, the right side being controlled by it's own active humidifier and it's own peltier, so I can age boxes at ideal conditions for long periods of time, without constantly changing their atmosphere by opening the door, rummaging through my singles, and closing it again. The left will be it's own conditions, slightly lower RH (65% instead of 71% for the aging side) so I can just grab and go without effecting the aging boxes. I know that keeping the door open for a couple of minutes to find the cigar I want to smoke won't do much, because being bundled together and inside of a cedar box makes for a good buffer, but leaving boxes in unchanged conditions for long periods of time will make it even easier to have solid aged smokes for later.

It will be about 32 cubic feet, made from 3/4" furniture grade MDF that I will veneer. I'll line it with sapele or spanish cedar, and make the drawers out of a combination of mahogany and spanish cedar. Outside dimensions are 48" wide x 48" tall x 24" deep. Let's hope this will sustain the collection for a little while.

Humidor.jpg

Were you planning to seal the mdf before you veneer it in Spanish Cedar?

I'm in the very preliminary phases of designing my own and researching materials. I would be nervous using mdf since it doesn't react well at all with moisture. Especially if using a veneer. I was looking at a spanish cedar plywood as a possible option. I imagine lining a cabinet with 1/4"-3/8" would be pretty pricey.

I'll veneer the outside of the cabinet so it's not hideous. From what I've heard MDF is the ideal wood to use for humidor because it won't warp and is very forgiving and absorbent of moisture, I also hear it doesn't mold easily. So I wasn't going to seal or veneer the inside, I would just veneer the outside, line the inside with 3/16" spanish cedar, install the drawers and shelves and call it good. Also what I heard is Aristocrats are made from furniture grade MDF, that is veneered, unless otherwise requested. It's not going to be a overly cheap project, but far cheaper the the best stuff out there.

The project will be expensive, just because of the spanish cedar, sapele, and mahogany. The drawers will be 18 1/4" deep, 5 1/4" tall, 22" wide x 8. That's not going to be pleasant on the wallet, but I have more expensive options.

Depending on the thickness of the MDF, how you store it (eg on its side), uneven moisture and heat, you bet it can warp or swell. Oh, and mold can grow on MDF unless it has been pre-treated or you are using moisture resistant MDF. Normal MDF will suck up moisture like a sponge.

Depending on the thickness of the MDF, how you store it (eg on its side), uneven moisture and heat, you bet it can warp or swell. Oh, and mold can grow on MDF unless it has been pre-treated or you are using moisture resistant MDF. Normal MDF will suck up moisture like a sponge.

I was going off by what I heard and read, but I've been wrong many times before, this wouldn't be the first if I am. Thanks for the information, I was encouraged to use MDF, maybe because both places I live have less than 12% humidity max, and not many climate issues. But I don't know the best option, just the one presented to me.

Have any tips or comments to add, I would hate to spend all this making it, and it being useless a year later :(

I was going off by what I heard and read, but I've been wrong many times before, this wouldn't be the first if I am. Thanks for the information, I was encouraged to use MDF, maybe because both places I live have less than 12% humidity max, and not many climate issues. But I don't know the best option, just the one presented to me.

Have any tips or comments to add, I would hate to spend all this making it, and it being useless a year later :(

When your outside humidity is that, but your inside humidity is 60-70 % RH, that's not a good material to use.

Do a search of some past threads. You'll find lots of different suggestions on construction materials and such. Best of luck to you. It's quite an undertaking (I know directly), but one that will be well worth it when it's done.

Oh, and MDF contains formaldehyde. The dust is something you do not want to be inhaling. Not to mention that the gases can slowly seep out of the MDF.

Don't get me wrong, MDF is useful, but just not in humidor building. You would need to seal all edges and panels from moisture if you are deadset on using it.

• 2 weeks later...

Concept great! The devil is in the details!!!

Cooling your humidor will require some serious thought, including insulating your box. A vapor barrier would likely be a good idea as well.

MDF okay...

Veneer on outside okay...

Fir inside, then fill with flat type insulation, fir to fit.

Vapor barrier on top of insulation, over with T&G or shiplap cedar.

You can get SS brads to nail, or SS screws to firing.

...Obviously wire the interior beforehand!!!

Cheers. -the Pig

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I built this one using mahagony plywood for the box, and lined it with solid spanish ceder, the drawer and shelves are SC as well. For the top I used cherry and finished it with tounge oil, with beads, the box is rock solid at 68%.

MVC-001S.jpg

MVC-003S.jpg

MVC-006S.jpg

MVC-007S.jpg

MVC-002S.jpg

MVC-005S.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Bart, but it has to go. Can't afford to keep it full now. I'm selling it and looking for something much smaller and hopefully seasoned. That's the best part of a cab, opening it and smelling aged cigars.

• 3 years later...

Looks awesome! This is exactly what I plan on building except instead of lining with Spanish cedar I think I'm just going to use a single Spanish cedar shelf