Por Larranaga Montecarlos

sbmcduffee

I tried another one a few days ago. I went through the entire top row of the box this time working each cigar in my fingers looking for hard spots like I found in the first cigar. Unfortunately there were quite a few more hard spots, fortunately non of them seemed to be as large or densely packed as what I saw in the first cigar.

The second cigar smoked much better than the first, almost perfect draw/construction wise. Caramel in spades already, the creamy rich sweetness was really amazing. The burn was perfect, no touch ups or relights throughout. The ash fell off on me once, but I'm prone to that. I smoked it until about 1 1/2" from the end, it began to get harsh pretty quickly at this point and I gave up on it. These really need to be smoked slowly, as tough as it is. Definitely impressed with the caramel sweetness, especially for the price. They didn't have much past that caramel flavor though and seemed to have a bit of a hole and some roughness around the edges still. I am disappointed with the possibility of so many plugged sticks, but I am excited to try them again in a few years once they had some time to mature.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Smoking through an EML SEP 14 box right now and I'm not disappointed. They do need some time to acclimate in the humi but after the 30-60 days they're ready to rock.  These are starting off on th

Having smoked my first one of these last night (a single, no idea of age), If I had a category of “biggest different between how expensive it tastes and actual cost” the PLMC would be my pick so far.

These are pretty sensational. I am almost finished with a TOS Sep 15 box, and the value here in pretty outstanding. Not just a very good cigar for the price, but a very good cigar, period. Maybe

I'm new to all this, but bought a box of PLP not long ago and was totally blown away. Especially considering the price point...every time (except maybe 2-3 duds), I couldn't believe I was smoking a $2 stick. Needless to say, I'm excited to try the rest of the vitola's the marca has to offer.

• Like 1

have a box of plmc and plpc on hand which have aged very well. after reading up on the forum, bought 2 boxes of the MCs which shipped yesterday. hopes are very very high

I have had a couple more from the same EML ABR 14 box, Completely different experience. Other than the first, unsmokably plugged cigar these have been GREAT. Rich Creamy Caramel flavor, still getting a it harsh towards the end, but I struggle to smoke them slow enough. I am looking to add another box or two of a similar vintage/same code to see how they age. At this pace it wont be long at all before I'm done with this box.

Still trying to decide whether these have unseated RASS as my favorite cigar. Both are a decadent mix of rustic and refined, but LOVE the RG on these! A little dryboxing goes a long way!

Have some EML sitting back, so don't know about them, but these AME are almost rosado in color and starting to display an amazing depth of flavor.

• 4 months later...

I picked up a box of these as my first box purchase. I bought 4 from my B&M and had enjoyed 2 before a sale had me decide to pickup a box. Really lovely cigars, glad to see so many agree.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wd123 said:

I picked up a box of these as my first box purchase. I bought 4 from my B&M and had enjoyed 2 before a sale had me decide to pickup a box. Really lovely cigars, glad to see so many agree.

Recently picked up a box myself.  I really enjoy these.  You may have persuaded me to enjoy one later tonight.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Marevas are my favorite vitola across all brands, but I have become convinced PLMC > PLPC.  Not only is it a fun size, but PC takes 5-7 years to settle down to my preference whereas the MC only takes 2-5.

• 1 month later...

Just purchased a 10er of these to push an order to the free shipping point. Totally blind, didn't even review on here before hand. Sounds like it'll be a nice little surprise. 

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

A 10 box of PLMC? :confused:

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

You know I thought that too, but it may refer to a split of 10 perhaps?

Probably just 10 singles, to push the order over the free shipping threshold as mentioned.

• 1 month later...

These are pretty sensational. I am almost finished with a TOS Sep 15 box, and the value here in pretty outstanding. Not just a very good cigar for the price, but a very good cigar, period.

Maybe half have had draws tighter than I like, and maybe 2 uncomfortably so. That is the only drawback, and aside from maybe those 2, they've all been easily enjoyable. What I like about them is they pack a lot of flavor and richness into a good, solid, 70 minute smoke (for me). They're a bit on the milder side, but I think people who like the Montecristo and Allones flavor profiles will dig them. I do.

They're probably as close as I'll ever get to smoking a Punch Ninfa or some of the other legendary, long-skinnies of days past.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Danimalia said:

These are pretty sensational. I am almost finished with a TOS Sep 15 box, and the value here in pretty outstanding. Not just a very good cigar for the price, but a very good cigar, period.

Maybe half have had draws tighter than I like, and maybe 2 uncomfortably so. That is the only drawback, and aside from maybe those 2, they've all been easily enjoyable. What I like about them is they pack a lot of flavor and richness into a good, solid, 70 minute smoke (for me). They're a bit on the milder side, but I think people who like the Montecristo and Allones flavor profiles will dig them. I do.

They're probably as close as I'll ever get to smoking a Punch Ninfa or some of the other legendary, long-skinnies of days past.

Thank you for the update!  This is nice to hear. I've got an EML May 15 box sleeping in the humidor waiting for caramel to build up.  It seems with other PLs, this really starts to happen at 3+ years.  Not sure with the Montecarlos, given the smaller gauge.  Rob's notes from that sale:

PSP/HQ: One of the forums firm favourites. Really enjoy them at this quality. One of the cigars that I have learned age makes a huge difference even to my barbarian palate. Still…we mostly smoke them young. If you have the patience the caramel will build and build. Some excellent dried fruit notes in these currently.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2017 at 11:12 AM, planetary said:

Thank you for the update!  This is nice to hear. I've got an EML May 15 box sleeping in the humidor waiting for caramel to build up.  It seems with other PLs, this really starts to happen at 3+ years.  Not sure with the Montecarlos, given the smaller gauge.  Rob's notes from that sale:

PSP/HQ: One of the forums firm favourites. Really enjoy them at this quality. One of the cigars that I have learned age makes a huge difference even to my barbarian palate. Still…we mostly smoke them young. If you have the patience the caramel will build and build. Some excellent dried fruit notes in these currently.

I've found that the PLMC does benefit from as much time as you can give them, and they really should have at least 2 years on them, but they seem to blossom a bit faster than PLPC which really seems to need 4-5 years to pick up in the caramel department. I've found that the PLP seem to be the best model fresh, meaning less than 2 years. But I still do think the PLPC with 5+ years is the best PL model, and they really have unlimited aging potential.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I have a couple of AME MAY 13 boxes that are smoking well.   There have been few from each box that have been rolled a little too tight..however, the majority are rolled well enough to smoke without a problem. They were good when I received them and are getting better and better with age - the carmel notes are getting progessively stronger, so I've been trying to pace myself to not smoke them all to quickly.