How long should a barbecue last you?

dangolf18

How long should a gas grill last you, say if you grill every other night? My folks have a Vermont Castings gas grill that they bought back in 1997. My father can't believe it has held up (perhaps because it cost 3500$ back then). Just wondering how long the average grill lasts?

Initial quality of the components are crucial, as is how it is stored. The first thing I do after I buy a grill is modify it the way I like it, and replace all the cheap parts with high quality material. Kept covered from the elements a cleaned routinely, a gass grill should last as long as you keep it up kept. Parts and components will start going out after 3-5 years depending on use, but those all can be replaced for cheap in order to restore function. The shell itself should last decades if is maintained properly. Same goes for a smoker, but smokers are usually already built with better quality materials and stronger materials, so a smoker should last 20,30,40 + years. The more cast iron you have in your grill and the less stainless steel you have the longer parts will last.

Haha. Yea, most of it's cast iron. Thing is built like a tank...unlike anything you'd find today. If the stock market wasn't so good in the late 90's, I doubt my dad would've plunked down $3500 for it. I think he's glad he did.

I have a napoleon infrared grill going on 6 years, no signs of degredation, i think the better quality unit you buy along with care makes the difference. I was replacing generic grills every 3 years previously

I own a cheap grill and it's going on 7 years. I've had to replace the burners every two years. However, now that I've switched over to ceramic burners I don't think I'll have to replace it as often. If you're doing proper maintenance on the grill it should last a while. Always test your hoses for leaks as well.

• 3 years later...

Have a Weber 3-burner gas grill going on 20 years and a Weber Smoky Mountain Bullet smoker 17+. both stored outdoors with covers. Secret to longevity is not frequent use, but rather, maintenance and cleaning after use. No rust, no burn-through on the burners and igniter works first time. WSM is awesome! Genesis gas grill works well and makes great steaks - doesn't need anything. I have replaced the grease cup about 5 or 6 times, though. rotfl.gif

I've got a Weber Kettle I bought in 1995 that's had a couple components replaced but still going strong 20 years in.

I've had a large stainless steel Sears grill for the last 12-years. On the outside it looks brand new, but I've rebuilt the inside 4-times (new burners, burner tubes, igniter). Now the parts are more difficult to find and have gotten so expensive it's no longer cost effective to fix. It will suck to have to take this brand new looking grill to the dump.

Have a Weber 3-burner gas grill going on 20 years and a Weber Smoky Mountain Bullet smoker 17+. both stored outdoors with covers. Secret to longevity is not frequent use, but rather, maintenance and cleaning after use. No rust, no burn-through on the burners and igniter works first time. WSM is awesome! Genesis gas grill works well and makes great steaks - doesn't need anything. I have replaced the grease cup about 5 or 6 times, though. rotfl.gif

This is the Key to Longevity for you Grill, smoker whatever keep it covered!