What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

38 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

If Barolo, you can sit it out and wait I suppose?  I like Giacosa better than Oddero and I don't think their Dolcetto is that far apart in price?

Many great dolcetto - I keep notes, but they are scribbled on scraps of paper on my desk :). I love nebbiolo (and really, Italians from pretty much every region and zone), but don't get to sample much top tier Barolo - the last being a '99 Scarpa (fantastic). I do have a single bottle of '04 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo which I pretend I don't have. 

I'm a fan of Vajra, ArPePe, Le Boncie, Vietti........ it's a long list   :lol3:

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Picked up my two bottles yesterday

I got some at the beginning of February and I missed the first two shipments.

I think they got in trouble for doing that, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BellevilleMXZ said:

A few good splashes of this tonight with a very good MC #2......Probably one of my top 3 now

20170316_200631.jpg

Someone gave me a bottle of that last month.  Great stuff.  My girlfriend blasted through that bottle like no time.  

• Like 2

An interesting single cask bottling of a 10 year old single malt at cask strength by the French distillery, Armorik. Bottled exclusively for Australia, this has been matured in an ex-sauternes cask.

01b6af1d2a1c1f3c3d148bf694d93de0.jpg

Impressive nose: sweet and winey with flowers, apricot and honey, a little smoke - very vibrant and fresh. Explosive palate with a profile that mirrors the nose - juicy and fruity with a nice spice underlay. The peat is quite mild which a tad disappointing as it appears to be drowned by all the intense sweet honey and fruit.

For me, my benchmark of this 'style' would be the bottling of Port Charlotte that was matured in a sauternes cask of similar age by independent bottlers: Rest and Be Thankful, probably from the Jim McEwen era. I recall this had more peat which helps to balance the sweetness and harmonise the profile most effectively.

• Like 2

Finished a bottle of the Glenfiddich 30 Year Old at a private "by invite only" club here in Melbourne.

1d6ddba36fda83aa3ad5e3af818aae39.jpg

It's quite expensive but I suppose you pay a premium for the prestige.

Worth the experience but probably not for me.
  • Like 2

2001 Siro Pacenti Brunello Di Montalcino with dinner and then Santiago de Cuba 20 year old rum with a cigar. Both awesome.

6f71394dc8b3de5d322f5f2d8f57bc1a.jpg

af0fc9e9b7ccdb4fa0c51be05b651e7d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4