What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

A nice glass of Laphroaig 10. Oddly enough when I first opened the bottle this year it really smelt/tasted like cardboard. Very stale. 

Having worked through half the bottle it no longer has that taste but has become nice and peaty. 

Interesting to see the flavour change for the better as a result of oxygenation.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/juliet-and-romeo-cocktail/30df206b-afb8-4ffc-884a-216ae9dc400d

Move over mint julep - I have a new favorite summer drink (which I have also seen called a "Montague and Capulet")!

I have been making my juleps with Pierre Ferrand 1840 instead of bourbon and I cannot recommend that substitution highly enough - takes it to a whole other level.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2017 at 1:06 PM, jcorona said:

4 roses sb

abdf34084d1bed7ae372ac14ee392b39.jpg

Impossible to be an American with even the most remedial understanding of History and not get a little misty eyed at the sight of a bottle of 4 Roses.  Very Nice!

3 minutes ago, Buck14 said:

Impossible to be an American with even the most remedial understanding of History and not get a little misty eyed at the sight of a bottle of 4 Roses.  Very Nice!

a new four roses for you. i've not tried it.

Four Roses’ New Limited Edition Small Batch Bourbon Is Letter Perfect

OESK? OESV? For bourbon connoisseurs, it spells delicious.

By Tony Sachs on September 21, 2017
Four Roses Bourbon bottles

What the heck does OESK mean? Is it the initials of some obscure government agency? A small town in Russia? A typo? And what is it doing on a bottle of bourbon?

Dyed-in-the-wool Four Roses fans know straightaway that it’s a bourbon made with a low-rye mash bill (“E”) and a spicy, full-bodied yeast strain (“K”). The “O” means it was distilled at the Four Roses distillery in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, and the “S” means it’s a straight bourbon, having aged in wood for more than 2 years.

Four Roses uses two different mash bills to make its bourbon—one with a higher percentage of rye to give it a bolder, spicier flavor, and one with less rye and more corn for sweeter, smoother results—as well as five different yeast strains, all of which impart different flavors in the final product. Master distiller Brent Elliott tinkers with the recipes and the aging time for every limited-edition bottling the brand releases.

The Four Roses Limited Edition 2017 Small Batch Bourbon ($130) marks the first blend that’s all low-rye; it’s a combination of 15-year-old OESK, 13-year-old OESK, and 12-year-old OESV (the “V” yeast strain makes for a fruity, buttery bourbon).

Thankfully, it’s not necessary to understand yeast strains and mash bills to appreciate this bourbon. It has a creamy, velvety mouthfeel, with tart cherries, ripe raspberries, and creamy vanilla on both the nose and the palate. It stays sweet through the long, spicy finish, with dark plum notes bringing up the rear. It’s bottled at barrel strength, which in this case is 107.3 proof—but no water is needed to appreciate a whiskey this well-crafted. What is required, however, is speed; Four Roses’ limited editions sell out quickly, and this one, limited to 13,800 bottles worldwide, will be no exception.