What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

Don’t post down here often but don’t often open bottles like this and have been patiently waiting to try this since it was released so figured I’d share.  The occasion is I had my first/worst hangover in a long while today so I thought I deserved a day on the beach and some great wine and gourmet burgers as compensation. 

08DEAE38-EAE3-472D-A488-FA6DFFFFB24C.jpeg

• Like 1

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

6 hours ago, El Hoze said:

Don’t post down here often but don’t often open bottles like this and have been patiently waiting to try this since it was released so figured I’d share.  The occasion is I had my first/worst hangover in a long while today so I thought I deserved a day on the beach and some great wine and gourmet burgers as compensation. 

Did you start with the Insignia, this reminds me I should revisit a bottle of the Insignia soon.  

I hope the Harlan was a wonderful bottle and expirence for you .

6 hours ago, El Hoze said:

harlan is a superstar. my fave american producer. don't see them often but a mate, with dollars, is on the mailing list out here and he gets an allocation.

if you missed it, their 2013 just won the Best Wine in the World comp for 2017. 

we have just opened entries for 2018. 

6 minutes ago, Bill Hayes said:

Not having any idea about Napa Valley, is the Harlan Estate a Shiraz or a Cab Sav or a blend?

bill, would be highly cab dominant. not 100% certain but it may also include small quantities of cab F, merlot. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NorCalAaron said:

Did you start with the Insignia, this reminds me I should revisit a bottle of the Insignia soon.  

I hope the Harlan was a wonderful bottle and expirence for you .

Thanks Aaron. The Harlan was fantastic. I was surprised by how relaxed the wine was at such a relatively young age. I have five more bottles that will be drank sooner than I might have guessed so glad I opened a bottle. The Insignia was a half bottle left over from the night before (the hair of the dog). I'm a big fan of Insignia, it's a consistently good wine. I lived in San Francisco for years and a favorite activity was getting a picnic table overlooking the vineyards at Phelps on a sunny day and drinking a few different vintages of Insignia with friends. Location can always make a wine taste better in my opinion. So Insignia will have a little spot in my heart.

9 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

harlan is a superstar. my fave american producer. don't see them often but a mate, with dollars, is on the mailing list out here and he gets an allocation.

if you missed it, their 2013 just won the Best Wine in the World comp for 2017. 

we have just opened entries for 2018. 

Thanks Ken! Harlan is my favorite as well, one of the few big boys I still buy annually. I actually have purchased some of the 2013, but I have not tried it yet. Looking forward to it for sure!

9 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

bill, would be highly cab dominant. not 100% certain but it may also include small quantities of cab F, merlot. 

Ken is correct. Though it varies Harlan is planted with about 70% Cab Sauv, 20% Merlot, 8% Cab Franc, and 2% PV.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 10:41 AM, s1911 said:

IMG_0145.thumb.JPG.02bd310805128493c53cd48a8e7394b5.JPG

1948 Graham & 1978 Red Rock Terrace both where quite amazing, the Graham was unbelievably youthful.

'48 Graham is a legend, well any 1948 port is fantastic as that is one of best 20th century vintages.  A highly recommended port!  Red Rock Terrace '78 should still be going strong.  Been a few years since I last had it.  Had 1980 not too long ago and it was rocking.  Diamond Creek is great stuff.

• Like 1