Is this a Genuine Cuban Cigar?

Trevor2118

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is this a Genuine Cuban Cigar? How many times has this question been asked in a forum? Unfortunately, forums are full of well-intentioned advice, which (regrettably) is often wrong and is invariably

There is an "English market selection" sticker on boxes imported into UK and it is portrayed as higher quality. Also, some Swiss vendors have claimed to be receiving superior stock. It's all a crock o

Thanks for a great post. I have been reading and researching all I can find here and everywhere trying to learn all I can

This is great information for the new and old aged smokers alike. lol3.gif Thank you Trevor!

I like to think of myself as a mature smoker, rather than aged. wink.png

Great thread, Trevor!

• Like 1

wow, brilliant read and very informative... fascinating what cigar sales have become.... does the forum have any sort of annual awards for best posts, because this is some FoH pulitzer stuff right here....

Amazing source of information Trevor ! I personally have several fake CC I bought from an online shop for which I have been (partially) refunded. I thought I would keep them for future reference.

I have taken many detailed pictures of the CC themselves, the two boxes and the bands. If they can be of any interest to you let me know.

I have now finalised this post, and I thought it might be worthwhile highlighting my summary:

Summary

Now....a final piece of advice:

Buying your Cuban cigars from a known reputable source is the best possible way to avoid fakes.

If you buy elsewhere......use this information to guide you.

And if you are unhappy with a purchase....talk to the seller and explain your specific concerns.

This post will be updated as necessary.

It is also available on my website at: http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/fakes.aspx

Edited by Trevor2118
Link updated

The only thing I would add is if the duty and Habanos labels are separate from, not applied to the box. That drives me nuts.

Now updated. Packaging section amended (see in bold) as follows:

Packaging

Check that the various stamps and stickers are correctly applied and appropriate to the box date. Note that the stickers must actually be applied.....they are never placed loose in the box.

Some exceptions to the backaging rules added:

Exception to the Rules

For the standard dress box, all the appropriate stickers and stamps are on the outside of the box.

Some Special Releases in upmarket varnished boite-nature boxes come in a plain or decorative protective cardboard outer. Some of the stickers and stamps are placed on this outer packaging (for example, see the Cohiba 1966 LE2011).

Some boxes (such as several of the recent 898B10) have the date factory and date codes inside the lid.

Another part added:

Internal Special Release Notices

Many special releases have a unique internal notice providing pertinent details regarding the release.

Edited by Trevor2118
More added.

Very nice post indeed, well written! Some of these fakes are pretty darn good, I had to tell a friend on Facebook that his Cohibas were fake...the bands looked real from the thumbnail but upon looking at them they were not embossed and the "Havana, Cuba" font was off. I hate seeing people get taken advantage of.