Best meal you've had (or the best restaurant you've been to)

dangolf18

Dined for the 30th night in a row at Syama Village. Because i dont trust the halal food im eating vegetarian. Those who say its a healthy can shove it, i haven't lost any weight in the month i've been doing it.

Anyway feast your eyes on this mouth watering plain rice (no salt), steamed veggies, and crisps (cooked on site). Fabulous dinner. I would have no hesitation in paying 2 cents for this meal.

post-15810-0-18516200-1381429303_thumb.j

Please put some photos on this thread, i can't wait for my first meat dish in Turkey when i go off site for R&R. CANT WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite..uni at jiros

A few years ago, my wife, who is a food and beverage photographer, was hired to shoot Garret Oliver, head brew master of Brooklyn Brewery, by a Belgian beer magazine.  Since the writer did not know Ma

Wendy's double with cheese with everything, fries, and a frosty.

Best meal i've ever had was in a bar called Joes in St Kilda

The food wasnt that amazing but the atmosphere, service and drinks were top notch

We ended up staying til closing time and sitting at the bar, watching the resident 'Mixologist' work his magic

I had such a good time I was over come with a sense of generosity and shouted the whole bar (including the staff) a shot

That was a $750 round, totally worth it!

Noma in Copenhagen, Denmark.

• 3 months later...

La Potinière Restaurant in Gullane, East Lothian, Scotland.

Tiny place but World Class! My father, my brother, and I did the Scotland golf trip thing in 2006. While playing at Muirfield and staying at Greywalls, we ate at La Potinière. We were the only 3 people in the restaurant. The chef came out and talked with us after each serving. I forget the fresh fish I had but it was by far the best piece of fish I have every had.....and I am a seafood *****! The entire meal was phenominal. We left the restaurant, went back to Greywalls, got a single malt scotch from the bar, and sat on a bench overlooking the 10th tee on Muirfield while smoking some nicely aged Opus X robustos.

http://www.la-potiniere.co.uk/

• 3 months later...

I don't have a long memory for restaurants, but the meal we just had in Montreal at Au Pied de Cochon , with several kinds of Fois gras, wine and French onion soup, incredible bread and desserts to die for... I would go again and again!!

cochonheureux135.jpgSo my friend Martin won your stomach!!!! lol3.gif

I don't know about best. There's tons of factors that can come in to play. I've had some great meals because of the company I was with, while the food was mediocre, and I've had some terrible meals where the food was good and the company was god awful.

Lee in Toronto is a great resto though. Run by Susur Lee, who was on top chef masters, and I believe came in second place (he got robbed) There is a singaporean slaw that is a mainstay on the menu that is AMAZING.

Tres Carnales in Edmonton is great too.

What a great way to describe a great meal... with great company!!!

This is a difficult one... As mentioned above, the company with the meal is always important into making or breaking a meal. But, I must say that the Michelin stared restaurants are always a ''unique'' and memorable experience. In my book of fantastic and out of this world was chef's Ferran Adria of the late El Buli and Joan Roca's (the chef of the Roca Family) of El Celler de Can Roca, both in Spain. I could go on for a long time on this subject... But for anyone living or visiting in Montréal, you should visit my friend Alain Loivel at Le P'*** Plateau on Marie-Anne Street. The food is always fantastic and the benefit here is your can bring your own wine. This guy is a French chef from the South-West of France... So, duck, foie gras, porc, red deer, house cold smoked salmon and all is always very good. I have never had any déceptions there. Again being a small place they have 2 services on the Fridays and Saturdays, one at 5:30 and the second at 8:30... Do the second... If you do not want to be pushed out of the place if you are late and draging your feet on the first.

• 5 weeks later...

Best Steak - Steak for two at Peter Lugers in Brooklyn, NY

Best Italian - Carbone in NYC

I went to the lugers in long island and found the porterhouse at Ruth's Chris better (not the one I'm Atlantic city).

Best food I had was in Kauai the fish and beef was unbelievable

23oz Porterhouse at St Emo's

14oz Blackened Filet at Peterson's ( just last Saturday night )

Both served with a huge lobster tails !

St Elmo's is known for its huge shrimp cocktail with wasabi in the cocktail sauce (wow !)

Both are in Indianapolis , Indiana

Hard to beat !

God I miss Indy!!!! Love St. Elmo's!!!!!!

23oz Porterhouse at St Emo's

14oz Blackened Filet at Peterson's ( just last Saturday night )

Both served with a huge lobster tails !

St Elmo's is known for its huge shrimp cocktail with wasabi in the cocktail sauce (wow !)

Both are in Indianapolis , Indiana

Hard to beat !

I hear that St. Elmo's isn't what it used to be. That said, still pretty good stuff, but the shrimp cocktail is the biggest thing that separates them from the rest IMO.

I think Sparks in NYC had best steaks I've ever had and I've been to St. Elmos numerous times.

Had a great meal at Kelly's at Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios. Food not great by any means, but a great view over the water, a great sunset, and seeing a barracuda come up and feed was pretty cool.

• Like 1

I want to challenge all that has said "it's the best Steak you've ever had", that you've never had a Steak in Texas! So your scope of measurement is not accurate!

Just Sayin'!

party.gifhungry.gifok.gifrotfl.gif

This is a difficult one... As mentioned above, the compant with the meal is always important into making or breaking a meal. But, I must say that the Michelin stared restaurants are always a ''unique'' and memorable experience. In my book of fantastic and out of this world was chef's Ferran Adria of the late El Buli and Joan Roca's (the chef of the Roca Family) of El Celler de Can Roca, both in Spain. I could go on for a long time on this subject... But for anyone living or visiting in Montréal, you should visit my friend Alain Loivel at Le P'*** Plateau on Marie-Anne Street. The food is always fantastic and the benefit here is your can bring your own wine. This guy is a French chef from the South-West of France... So, duck, foie gras, porc, red deer, house cold smoked salmon and all is always very good. I have never had any déceptions there. Again being a small place they have 2 services on the Fridays and Saturdays, one at 5:30 and the second at 8:30... Do the second... If you do not want to be pushed out of the place if you are late and draging your feet on the first.

i can endorse can roca. had a number of meals there. beyond spectacular. and the best wine list ever (and cheapest). it is my best. one visit, went for dinner and was going back the next day for lunch (girona is a small industrial town - no reason to go there for anything else so may as well make the best of it). that evening we discussed vintage ports, which are not on their list but they do have plenty. they arranged for some poor cellar hand to come in and decant the port (77 taylors for peanuts) at 6 am. at lunch, i said i enjoyed the degustation (15 to 20 small dishes) so much i'd do it again. no, they said you cannot. i was keen but they refused. what they wanted to do, they said, was create an entirely new one for me. no doubt using some dishes from before but wow. and they make the brilliant havana dreams dessert i have mentioned previously.

never ate at el bulli but i did get to sit down with ferran in his lab in barcelona for a few hours. amazing man.

in france, auberge de I'ill - had a couple of meals there and i don't think anything else from france can top them (that includes a fair few of the best).

i'm intrigued by the recommendation for a place with the double sitting and wonder what others think. i simply will not go to them. i know a number of restauranteurs who are horrified by the thought. i feel like they are little more than a fast food production line. doesn't matter how good the chef is, or thinks he is, i'm paying for the experience and being hurried, hassled and shunted around so he can jam his pockets is not an experience that appeals in any way.

• Like 1

I like simple stuff,from my weak memory.

Vegas,the steakhouse in Circus Circus, grilled over wood

Angelo's steak pit in Panama City beach. Grilled over a hickory wood pit.

• 4 weeks later...

The fancy hotel (no good with names) on Salt Spring Island. Had a stuffed trout slathered in a creamy dill sauce. The waiter assured me it wasn't bad form to lick my plate. My wife still disagrees.

Mamouns in NYC is great...especially after a few drinks!! Best restaurants I would go with Nobu, Morimoto and Per Se, all in NYC. Best Steak by an edge is Berns in Tampa, FL...Peter Luger is a close second.

Mamouns in NYC is great...especially after a few drinks!! Best restaurants I would go with Nobu, Morimoto and Per Se, all in NYC. Best Steak by an edge is Berns in Tampa, FL...Peter Luger is a close second.

Eaten at Mamouns more than anywhere in the City. Best Felafel outside Israel.