Japanese Whiskeys

Hiroshiro

Bought this at Yamada

post-17505-0-13305100-1380186888_thumb.j

Anyone Try Nihon-shyu(sake) with Cigars? I don't think it would be a good paring but I've never tried. 5 Different Kinds gonna see which one taste the best

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been soooo busy traveling for work but sometimes the stars align .... just returned from Japan and was able to pick up a few items only available there (or at least very hard to find outside): - ****

Tried the ***** Coffee Grain this summer and wow!!!

An interesting article that may be a good guide for some; BANZAI: THE 9 BEST JAPANESE WHISKIES TO DRINK Traditionally, the realm of fine whiskey was divided into four nations with well-defined rol

Bought this at Yamada

post-17505-0-13305100-1380186888_thumb.j

Anyone Try Nihon-shyu(sake) with Cigars? I don't think it would be a good paring but I've never tried. 5 Different Kinds gonna see which one taste the best

It's not too bad. Just make sure you have something mild bodied so as not to overpower the sake too much.

Great time at the event, Good cigars, good whiskey. I had to rush off to see a client with a problem afterwards but other than that, good time.

Nino, Rob wasn't there, he's out of the country at the moment but I know he'll be in Cuba in November, no doubt you'll see him them.

Really nice to meet up with Alohastyle, who I hadn't met before and didn't know was going to be there until I arrived (late as Yiorgos got us lost driving there) but a great guy and quite a few mututal friends.

If you see this AlohaStyle, make sure you call into the Fox shop today or tomorrow, there's something there for you, plus David is expecting you. Have a great time in London..

Of the whiskeys, the ***** "Whiskey From The Barrel" was the one for me. The most approachable.

The Taketsuru was very drinkable but didn't do much for me and the Yoichi I found a bit "difficult" as a first time. I'd try it again though.

The *****, at about 40 euro a bottle retail here is the cheapest of the three. Again, I'm quite pleased i have cheap tastes. smile.png

Plus, it's a lovely bottle.

Some pictures

2 FOH members in this one, plus Andre from Zimbabwe and Percy from South Africa. For some reason, my glass is always empty in these pictures.

post-3053-0-16178000-1380199842_thumb.jp

Our host

post-3053-0-07756800-1380199847_thumb.jp

Happy drinkers

post-3053-0-29617200-1380199853_thumb.jp

***** "Whiskey from the Barrel"

post-3053-0-53121200-1380199855_thumb.jp

Taketsuru

post-3053-0-57771800-1380199857_thumb.jp

Andy :

Looks like a great evening - enjoyed the pictures and good to see "The Man with the Hat" again, great guy this Aloha hat with a style ... !!

Aloha, any plans to come over to Germany ?? You'd be very welcome.

Thanks for posting the pics Andy! It was great meeting you, the Fox gang and your other friends... it truly made my first trip to Dublin a great one. I have never tried Japanese whiskey before and did enjoy all 3 offerings, enough where I might buy again.

Nino, I almost didnt bring my hat because I dont want to be known as the hat guy... the one day I didnt where it in Havana, no one recognized me!?! LOL. I guess its meant to be though when around the FOH crew, I have to wear the hat. :)

And no I wont be in Germany anytime soon unfortunately. I think I told you my cousin moved to Koln and other relatives flew over to visit, but they are all in Munich for Octoberfest. So I chose Dublin instead before my London stop. I do hope to visit you one day. :)

Nino, I almost didnt bring my hat because I dont want to be known as the hat guy... the one day I didnt where it in Havana, no one recognized me!?! LOL. I guess its meant to be though when around the FOH crew, I have to wear the hat. smile.png

No worries, man,

good to see you happy and taken well care of - Köln, anytime, just a short drive away from here.

Safe travels and enjoy your time over here !!

Here's a pic of you at Santos/Comodoro Hotel last year - Aloha-style hat :-))

post-4742-0-13941500-1380223447_thumb.jp

photog.gif

• 1 month later...

The only Japanese whiskeys I have tried are the ***** 12yo, which I really liked. I also recently got a bottle of a 13yo Karuizawa that was a single cask exclusive bottling for a liquor store here in the San Francisco area (K&L Liquors). I had not heard of this distillery before and the bottle cost me around $170 USD, but I bought it because it's apparently very difficult to get and so I figured it might be a good investment. Anyway, I opened the bottle a few weeks ago -- so much for the investment -- and have really been enjoying it. I really don't believe in buying wine, cigars, whiskey, or other consumables as investments. I say if you're going to pay for the good stuff you might as well enjoy it. You never know what will happen tomorrow. Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Just picked up some ***** Yoichi 15yr single malt.

Report back. Before I open my bottle haha

Interesting. Any type of cigar you would recommend to pair with it?

The cigar. It was an young Opus X Phantom (lancero) which when young have a lot of red pepper up front. As for the dram, it was great but should have paired it with something sweeter IE bourbon or rum.

The smoke or the drink?

:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Flying home from Asia to the States for the holidays, a snow storm caused me to be diverted through Narita airport. I already had a bottle of Hakushu 12 and some RASS, HDM 2, and HU 2 to share with my brother but was now able to pick up another bottle through duty free.

I had been looking at the $100 Hibiki 17 in their commemorative bottle but the kind sales lady recommended the $35 ***** Naketsuru 17 Pure Malt blend and offered a taste ... I was sold!

The Hakushu was so smooth with hints of citrus and floral and really paired well with the HDM 2 while the added sweetness and slight smokiness of the ***** went well with the RASS.

The trip to NY had extremes in temps as I landed in a snow storm but was able to enjoy the stogies and whiskies in rare 70 degrees in December.

Hiro ... you are right, the bottle looks sweet. I'm hoping to go back and pick one up .... just didn't want to make those long flights chancing that the bottle (full or empty) would get damaged.

• 3 weeks later...