Japanese Whiskeys

Hiroshiro

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been soooo busy traveling for work but sometimes the stars align .... just returned from Japan and was able to pick up a few items only available there (or at least very hard to find outside): - ****

Tried the ***** Coffee Grain this summer and wow!!!

An interesting article that may be a good guide for some; BANZAI: THE 9 BEST JAPANESE WHISKIES TO DRINK Traditionally, the realm of fine whiskey was divided into four nations with well-defined rol

• 2 months later...

Anybody know if it's posible to get ***** from the barrel here in the US? I really want to try it.

I've been told by my regular liquor shop it comes in a small bottle. Can anybody confirm that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks seng.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

No problem.

I didn't realise they started selling Japanese whisky in Msia too. Is whisky getting big there and the whisky drinkers are getting more adventurous rather than the standard Highland Park and Macallan?

It's been a while since I have been back. The last I heard was that Auchentoshan is becoming quite popular.

I had a friend check the airport in s. Korea and he said he couldn't find it. :(

Any idea Where I can find some stateside? If possible?

I found some websites that sell but the cost of international shipping makes me so sad. It's like paying double!

• 1 month later...

Heading to japan then South Korea at the end of this month gents from the states. Got some great suggestions from here on what to try and maybe bring back with me!

• 5 months later...

Nice!

The Fuji-San bottle is very beautiful.

I've been thinking of getting one myself - do you mind if I ask: the decanter bottle, is it nice and flat or does it have a depression where they would normally stick the labels on for the standard releases? Or is it nice and flat all-round?

Been soooo busy traveling for work but sometimes the stars align .... just returned from Japan and was able to pick up a few items only available there (or at least very hard to find outside):

- ***** Tsuru 17 y/o in the ceramic decanter

- Hibiki 21 y/o in limited edition Fuji-san painted bottle (2000 only)

- ***** from the barrel ... available outside but 1/4 of the price found in Malaysia

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy and can't wait for Christmas as I'm saving them to share with my brother with some tasty stogies.

Nice, awesome pickup!

Nice, awesome pickup!

Thanks.

By the way, if anyone goes to Tokyo, "Shinanoya" in the Kabukicho part of Shinjuku had the best prices (approx. 8,000 Yen for Hibiki 17 vs 10,000 Yen at Isetan). This is also where I found the ***** Tsuru ceramic decanter.

Isetan Shinjuku had at least 2 more bottles of the Fuji-san Hibiki 21 and offered an 8% tax refund.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Is the Hibiki 12 worth $60? Found it at a local store. Is it comparable to any Scottish single malts? Also would you choose Hibiki 12 over Hakushu 12?

Hibiki 12 is blended and supposed to be very smooth. Hakushu 12 is more like Highland Park- slightly peated and a touch of smoke, somewhat dry and some underlying sweetness.

Personally, I would choose Hakushu. Hibiki 17 and 21 are very good.

Thanks for the advice. Only Japanese whisky I have in my collection right now is the Hakushu 18. I don't plan on opening it anytime soon I'm afraid to say lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Japanese whiskeys are my favorite...taste is pure and elegant. Yamazaki 12 have been sold out quicker than it has been shelved. If anyone knows where to procure a 18yr bottle in australia please message me.

If anyone knows where to procure a 18yr bottle in australia please message me.

If you're lucky enough to find a bottle anywhere.... be prepared to pay 2 to 3 times the price on what it was last year.

Good luck!

Is the Hibiki 12 worth $60? Found it at a local store. Is it comparable to any Scottish single malts? Also would you choose Hibiki 12 over Hakushu 12?

Better than in the states. About 90 bucks a bottle there...

Japanese whiskeys are my favorite...taste is pure and elegant. Yamazaki 12 have been sold out quicker than it has been shelved. If anyone knows where to procure a 18yr bottle in australia please message me.

Came across this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamazaki-18-Years-Old-Japanese-Single-Malt-700mL-43/181746874304?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107090050%26meid%3D1cc459a9b4bc4f948711d25855312928%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D261281618579

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1