Japanese Whiskeys

Hiroshiro

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been soooo busy traveling for work but sometimes the stars align .... just returned from Japan and was able to pick up a few items only available there (or at least very hard to find outside): - ****

Tried the ***** Coffee Grain this summer and wow!!!

An interesting article that may be a good guide for some; BANZAI: THE 9 BEST JAPANESE WHISKIES TO DRINK Traditionally, the realm of fine whiskey was divided into four nations with well-defined rol

Better than in the states. About 90 bucks a bottle there...

Hibiki 12 45 Bucks at Costco...Can't beat that Price

• Like 1

Costco US. Regular Retail Price is not bad at 60. Japan Price is about 30. so anything in between there is not a Bad Price for Hibiki. and Up to 60 for Yamazaki is ok too@!

Hibiki 12 45 Bucks at Costco...Can't beat that Price

Umm care to hook me up? We can take this to PM if so. I can't touch a bottle in Ohio for less than 90 if I can find it.

Umm care to hook me up? We can take this to PM if so. I can't touch a bottle in Ohio for less than 90 if I can find it.

Similar to Australian prices...Hibiki 12 at Dan Murphy's (An Australian Liquor Chain Outlet) is $AU115, which equates to about $US90 after conversion (at the time of writing this post).

• 2 weeks later...

LOVE the Yamazaki 12. One of my favourites.

Still looking for the Distiller's Edition 2013 and the 18 (if I can find somewhere that hasn't gone extortionate on price!)

An interesting article that may be a good guide for some;

BANZAI: THE 9 BEST JAPANESE WHISKIES TO DRINK

Best-Japanese-Whiskey.jpg

Traditionally, the realm of fine whiskey was divided into four nations with well-defined roles. Scotland was the king. It was the home of the best whiskies, and that fact was almost never disputed. And Ireland was the queen, largely seen as an excellent alternative to Scottish whiskies, but no real threat to upset the natural order of things. Of course, there was also America, the knavish knight who sought to usurp the king (and had many supporters), but just never seemed to be mature enough to do the job. And, finally, there was Canada, the court jester, who just seemed to be following its own strange path with fewer true followers than dabblers.
And then the unthinkable happened, and the whiskey world was turned upside-down. The Whiskey Bible gave out its top awards for 2014 and the winner was from Japan (actually, Scotland was shut out of the Top 3, with America getting second and third. Lots of self-proclaimed whiskey experts are only vaguely unaware that Japan even makes whiskey, let alone some that are among the very best in the world. So here’s our quick guide to the best Japanese whiskies you’ll want on your shelf and in your glass.
Yoichi-10-Year-Old.jpg
YOICHI 10 YEAR OLD
Just as it might come as a surprise to many that Japanese whiskies are among the best in the world, it might also shock some to know that older is not always better and that blends can compare quite favorably to single malts in many cases. This 10-year-old can stand up to any other whiskey in the world. It has a head nose of fresh fruit and peat, but what makes it great is a creaminess that belies its age. The finish is clean and smoky, certainly befitting the experience that came before it. Made on the northern island of Hokkaido in the old Scottish tradition of direct-fire stills and aged in premium wood barrels, this simple and elegant young whiskey is a peaty masterpiece.
Nikka-Coffey-Malt.jpg
***** COFFEY MALT
Distilled in the super old-school Coffey still, the ***** Coffey Malt puts most of the old Kentucky bourbons that inspired it to shame. Rich and flavorful, it tastes very much like it would be at home in Kentucky or Tennessee, but a quick splash of barley adds a mature fullness the old Colonel never considered. The result is an impeccable whiskey, one with hints of the old South, but with a flavor all its own. Consider this the perfect lubricant for after-dinner relaxation and conversation in place of bourbon.
Hibiki-12-Year-Old.jpg
HIBIKI 12 YEAR OLD
If you’re looking for a more complex whiskey, here’s the one for you. Aged in plum liqueur barrels, this multiple award-winning Hibiki can overwhelm some drinkers with the several distinct fruit combinations in its nose. But stay with it. From there, it’s a rich combination of fruits, cloves and a bit of sherry. And it comes to a close with an equally distinct finish that will make you want another sip. Be careful, though, you won’t get this one cheaply anywhere, but it’s worth the price, especially if you’re not exactly excited about the thought of your next glass of Macallan.
Hakushu-12-Year-Old.jpg
HAKUSHU 12 YEAR OLD
I remember that Car and Driver once called a certain Infiniti sedan “the Jaguar that Jaguar should have made.” You’ll get the same sense with Hakushu — it’s the Scotch the Scots should have made. It’s made in a forested nature preserve in idyllic northern Japan, which guarantees an unending source of pristine water, then distilled and aged using the most traditional method. It’s a no-nonsense whisky with no fruit or sherry overtones and a minimum of smoke, so it’s not meant to be sampled and discussed at length. But as a pure sipping whiskey, it’s hard to beat by anyone.
White-Oak-Akashi-Blended-Whisky.jpg
WHITE OAK AKASHI BLENDED WHISKY
Don’t buy this in or from Japan where they add molasses spirit to sweeten it to suit the local palate; instead, get the export version, which is all whiskey. It’s a blend, and proudly so. Distilled in bourbon and then sherry casks for only two months a year, quantities are low since the company relies heavily on its primary products — sake and brandy — for its revenue. It makes whiskey for the love of it, and it shows. This blend combines the smoothness and drinkability of a fine bourbon, like Buffalo Trace, with the complexity and subtlety of a top-shelf Scotch, like Talisker. Not for everyone — especially dedicated whiskey nerds — but a great summer sipper. Try it before you try White Oak’s sublime single malt; they’re both great, and the blend is a bargain.
Nikka-Taketsuru-17-Year-Old.jpg
***** TAKETSURU 17 YEAR OLD
While you might sip the White Oak blend with close friends, there are times you have to impress those who believe they know better. That’s pretty easy with this 17 year old. From nose to finish, there are so many distinct flavors — even the least refined palate will find many, identifying oak and honey right from the start — that it will almost certainly create a long discussion in which tasters try to outdo one another. And, while they’re talking, you can enjoy the whiskey. But do not enter into a relationship with ***** Taketsuru 17 Year Old lightly. It is a colossal whiskey, one meant for sipping and savoring — and one that just might ruin you for others.
Nikka-Pure-Malt-Black.jpeg
***** PURE MALT BLACK
This is another blend you’d be wrong to pass over. Bursting with a variety of flavors — varying from dark chocolate to coffee then to peat — it ignores the biases people have against blended whiskeys and transcends the price it can be had for. It’s definitely not a whiskey for noobs, though. The flavors that come through at the highest volume are all the heavy ones, peat, dark chocolate and smoke. It’s a perfect way to end a hearty meat-focused meal, but it’s not great for casual drinking.
Togouchi-Premium-Blended.jpg
For the record, this whiskey isn’t really distilled in Japan — it’s a blend of malt spirits from Scotland and grain spirits from Canada — but it is masterfully blended and aged there, making it officially a Japanese whiskey. Aged in plum brandy casks in an old railway tunnel into a mountain (beats a warehouse, no?), it tastes like no other whiskey from anywhere. Without trying to sound too pretentious, it’s a youthful whiskey with plenty of alcohol nose and tang, but little finish, making it perfect for casual drinks or even before dinner. Try it with a bit of soda on a hot day.
Yamazaki-12-Year-Old.jpg
YAMAZAKI 12 YEAR OLD
One of the reasons to love Japanese whiskeys is while they adhere to time-honored traditions, they also like to add a twist or two. And so it is with the popular (even beloved) Yamazaki 12 Year Old. It’s malted in the traditional Scottish way, but then aged first in American bourbon barrels, then Spanish sherry barrels and finally Japanese oak barrels. The result is a delightfully robust whiskey, brimming with powerful fruit flavors. And, more than any other whiskey on this list, it looks and feels good. Thick and almost viscous, it has a beautiful orange-brown hue that almost screams “I am a great whiskey.”
  • Like 4

Thanks for the article Michael. I've been thinking of getting a bottle of Hibiki at some point this year. What do we recommend...12 year old or 17 year old?

I've but sampled the 12 yo and I loved it, I can only imagine what the 17 yo must be like as I've heard great things. :)

I'm looking at the ***** TAKETSURU 17 year old for my next purchase.

• Like 1

Thanks for the article Michael. I've been thinking of getting a bottle of Hibiki at some point this year. What do we recommend...12 year old or 17 year old?

I find the 17 yr more complex and very satisfying, but where I am you can get 2 bottles of the 12 yr for that price. Both excellent choices.

One day I'll pick up a bottle of From the Barrel. Easier said than done my side of the globe.

• Like 1

My favorite is missing - ***** from the barrel.

Yes, I love this too, I always have a bottle on hand!

I find the 17 yr more complex and very satisfying, but where I am you can get 2 bottles of the 12 yr for that price. Both excellent choices.

One day I'll pick up a bottle of From the Barrel. Easier said than done my side of the globe.

Hibiki 12 is awesome. I need to find more for a reasonable price...

Thank you for your recommendations. I look forward to sampling and enjoying Hibiki at some point soon as I love ***** From The Barrel! party.gif

Hibiki 12 and 21 are My favorites as the 17 seems to be stuck in the middle ground not knowing what it actually is.

Out of that List I don't really agree with it. Yoichi 15 over the 10 as the 10 seems like a waste. All the Hakushu are pretty low on my list of Japanese Whiskey or any whiskey my buddy loves the Coffee Malt. The Green Label Akashi Single Malt is more bang for your buck and its Amazing. The Taketsuru 21 would be a better choice over the 17 and the Price difference shouldn't be that big in most Markets. And all the Yamazaki are fantastic.

In Los Angeles if you ever get a chance you can hit up Bar Jackalope and try all the Japanese Whiskey and kind of get a feel for what you might like. I tried everything I wanted last time and paid around 100 dollars total. Light a Cigar there too!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dan Murphys has pulled all Hibiki 12 and 17 stock off the shelves last month...so I consider myself lucky to have found a bottle of Hibiki 12 last week at an independent retailer!

post-23478-0-76715000-1436675162_thumb.j

• Like 1

Does anyone else find Japenese whiskeys to be too flavoursome?!!! For some reason i find them to be overwhelming especially the yamazakis! Taste great but need to water it down and not because it's hot but just because the flavour is just too strong if that makes any sense!

Just got into Japanese whisky, and only tried the Hibiki 12 and ***** Coffey whisky. The Hibiki I drink straight but I have to add a splash of water to the ***** to make it taste better for me.

Serious? Wow...

What happened there? Product recall?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, seriously Hibiki have brought out a new NAS whiskey product called Harmony (I think) and it seems to me that Hibiki's aged bottles have been taken off the shelf.

Does anyone else find Japenese whiskeys to be too flavoursome?!!! For some reason i find them to be overwhelming especially the yamazakis! Taste great but need to water it down and not because it's hot but just because the flavour is just too strong if that makes any sense!

Must be the Mizunara casks.

• Like 1