Por Larrañaga Encantos

ayedfy

Laz kindly offered me this cigar last night. We had a chat about it, and I took down some notes about what we were finding as we smoked, so this is something of a dual review.

Por Larrañaga Encantos. Cuban, 2010 Asia Pacific regional release for Pacific Cigar Company. Vitola size: 6.75x43.

Hv1ru5K.png

Cold observations: Clean, uniform tan wrapper. Aroma at cold is creamy and sweet, with tropical fruit meringue dessert notes at the foot. Full flavour coming through on the cold draw, that same fruity sweetness with the addition of passionfruit citrus. Draw is certainly on the tighter side.

Opening third: Luscious dark chocolate begins the cigar, with a gently bitter toasted wood element. The bitterness makes me think that this could definitely benefit from a few more years ageing. Body is at an elegant medium, and towards the end of this introduction, an Upmann-esque salted peanut note moves forward.

Middle third: Dropping back very quickly at the start of this third to a light-bodied dry grass flavour, but then the body suddenly returns to medium, as the flavour profile shifts towards the creamy dessert sweetness of the cold aroma. Fresh raspberry adds to the meringue cream, and the youthful bitterness has disappeared entirely.

Final third: A savoury character of juicy medium-rare steak surprisingly enters in the back half - a completely unexpected note I've never picked up in a cigar (but both Laz and I picked it, so I don't think I've gone completely mad yet). Oaky dry wood bitterness eases in as the sweet element drops back.

A very complex cigar that always had me guessing. There were several moments of brilliance here, occasionally followed by moments of blandness. I would guess a few more years would fix some of those closed sections, so keep that in mind if you happen to have a box tucked away.

88/100

Good review. I smoked one of these recently and certainly got that meaty taste in the last third. Thought it was a classy smoke and vowed to have another on a sunny day.

Definitely seem to be over-hyped. I am a huge fan of anything PL but all the Encantos I have tried have left me with a bad taste and swearing to myself I will not buy a box as it is not going to get any better. Who knows maybe it will but I will look elsewhere.

Much overrated cigar on foh. I've smoked several examples and just lackluster at best I don't think any amount of age can fix.

Man I seriously have to disagree. To me, these are like a more rich and less harsh PLPC. I love PLPCs and the price is great but every now and then they can be harsh. The Encantos have none of that and to me are pure class! If they stick around long enough I am hoping to have 4-5 boxes of them put down to nap.

Much overrated cigar on foh. I've smoked several examples and just lackluster at best I don't think any amount of age can fix.

A solid price point and an uncommon size sees this cigar a touch overrated, agreed. I think they are slowly improving and absolutely blended for medium/long term ageing. Not getting too excited just yet, but I thought the same thing two years ago with the PL Robusto RE '07 and now they are outstanding.

A solid price point and an uncommon size sees this cigar a touch overrated, agreed. I think they are slowly improving and absolutely blended for medium/long term ageing. Not getting too excited just yet, but I thought the same thing two years ago with the PL Robusto RE '07 and now they are outstanding.

I heartily concur.

It seems to me that all PLs are blended for serious aging, even the humble TC Pantelas.

I picked up a couple boxes of '13 Panetelas from a recent czar special,

and the one I tried was harsh, though showing potential.

I still have some '06s that are smoking beautifully, and full of that sweet PL flavour.

My '07 PCs have only recently opened up.

I hated them when fresh, but they are now among my favorite smokes.

Considering that the Encantos are packaged in varnished wood,

which is meant to allow for slow and steady aging,

it would seem that these cigars will probably hit their sweet spot

(double meaning intended), from around the eight year mark.

I have two boxes so far.

The couple of cigars I have tried have been excellent in construction,

showing typical PL character, and, while somewhat rough,

have IMHO, enormous potential.

If you are into relatively long-term aging,

and like both the PL flavour and the Dalia vitola,

go for them while you still can.

For me, they, along with the identically sized and packaged

'13 LGC Medaille d'or #2, are some of the best deals of the year.

If not, then pass.

.... Not getting too excited just yet, but I thought the same thing two years ago with the PL Robusto RE '07 and now they are outstanding.

Oh I hope so too. The PL Robustos are amazing atm

Just got a box of these, have to say the packaging looks absolutely outstanding, the cigars look and smell amazing. Can't wait to try the first cigar.

The three I've smoked have left me on the fence.

I quite enjoyed the flavors. Similar to a PL PC.

But the draw was so tight and the smoke production so limited that I constantly felt like I was fighting with the cigar, rather than smoking it.

The three I've smoked have left me on the fence.

I quite enjoyed the flavors. Similar to a PL PC.

But the draw was so tight and the smoke production so limited that I constantly felt like I was fighting with the cigar, rather than smoking it.

Nothing can ruin one's impressions of a cigar faster than it feeling more like a chore than an enjoyable experience. And this possibility goes way up with the larger cigars - I really hated most of the Hoyo DCs that I've had simply due to it just needing too much care and feeding during the smoking experience (although the flavor didn't move me much, either).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a box of the Encantos. Great flavour profile, but lots of construction issues. From now on, the smallest ring gauge I will buy is 48 and anything over 6 inches I'll want 52 guage.(that's what she said) regardless of the tobacco quality they just have too many knots for whatever reason.

Got a box of the Encantos. Great flavour profile, but lots of construction issues. From now on, the smallest ring gauge I will buy is 48 and anything over 6 inches I'll want 52 guage.(that's what she said) regardless of the tobacco quality they just have too many knots for whatever reason.

Hmmm. I'm working through some right now and although they're rustic looking, they've all burnt well. How long were they in your humi before smoking?

A Dalia is one of my favorite vitolas

I thought the same about the PL Robusto (07) when they were 4 years old. Now I wish I went longer on them as they have seriously hit stride.

My box of Encantos (smoked about 6) have been good to excellent, FWIW... I think they will be stellar in a few more years.