China cabinet humidor glass door seal, need ideas

Gurkaman

I am converting a China cabinet into a humidor, the cabinet has two glass doors that are just under a 1/4 inch thick. The problem is the glass doors have a 1/4 inch gap between the doors that I would like to fine something clear that would connect to one door and seal when both doors are closed......Any ideas?

What about the thin seals that they use on glass door saunas? Not the big fat thick ones, but the very thin ones (about 1/4")

Or you could just keep the whole room at 65% rH! :P

Thanks Papa & Optic,

I will try to adjust doors & find some sauna seal products. but if I draw the two doors closer Together it would create two bigger spaces in the glass at the hinges, this area is currently a nice snug fit that passes the dollar test.

Gurk.

You need an item referred to as an astragal. An astragal is a door stop built into a stationary or secondary door where the operating door will rest against while closed. You can probably find something the form of a "T" astragal where you would adhere one side to one door, providing the stop for the other. I have seen these made of aluminum and you may be able to find one of acrylic.

If you are cleaver and neat, you can take some lexan (polycarbonate) and adhere it to one side (one door) with water clear silicon. On the other you would need some form of clear sealing material. That will be the trick here.

You would want to use one side as the primary door as using the secondary door will require the primary door to be opened first.

The next best idea would be to construct a new stile that both doors will come to rest against. Once the stile is in place, you may think that it will ruin the look, but if it were there all along, you would never have thought about the cabinet any other way.

Best of luck on your project. -the Pig

Thanks BigWill and PigFish,

I looked at many china cabinets, this one is entirely made with solid wood inside and out by Thomasville, and the glass all around is pressed into a rubber-like seal.

My plans are to entirely strip the paint and light oak stain and finish the cabinet inside and out, then line bottom cabinet in spanish cedar (still looking for a deal on the wood) the sides and shelves in the top glass cabinet will also be cedar, I plan to leave existing mirror on the back. I have a humidifier with four external fans that will be placed though out the unit. The base and top will have connecting holes drilled between the two allowing air flow up from the humidifier that will be installed in the base unit. Now I need to find a clear plastic astragal door stop and the spanish cedar.

Anyone know of a good source for spanish cedar?

Thanks.

Gurk

• 1 month later...

I am in the middle of converting a China Hutch my self. I think if I were you I would put a solid strip of Spanish Ceder in the middle of the door, so the glass would have something to seal against when closed. Just MO!

• 3 years later...

As I continue to dig through this section of the forum I thought this might be a good place to add another question. what would be the best way to seal around glass inserts in the door like in the cabinet below? would regular outdoor or shower silicone be fine? Really my only concern would be outgassing over time

And how about where the two doors meet? An "astragal" like piggy mentioned?

arist-m713glsdoor-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2017 at 6:40 PM, BMWBen said:

As I continue to dig through this section of the forum I thought this might be a good place to add another question. what would be the best way to seal around glass inserts in the door like in the cabinet below? would regular outdoor or shower silicone be fine? Really my only concern would be outgassing over time

And how about where the two doors meet? An "astragal" like piggy mentioned?

arist-m713glsdoor-1.jpg

I used shower silicone on my glass doors. Just leave the cabinet open for a few days and the smell is gone. If you close the door and the smell returns, just keep it open a few more days. For me it was about 1 week...

For the original poster. I was going to suggest what Piggy said, just use some clear acrylic attach it to one door with clear adhesive.