Havana Club?

ptrthgr8

I've had a hankerin' to try some of the Havana Club offerings. I love rum, so I'm sure I'll like it... just not sure if it's worth the associated shipping costs. I looked on a couple of different sites and for one bottle (70cl) each of the following: Anejo 3 yo, Anejo 7 yo, Anejo Especial, and Anejo Blanco it would end up costing right around $210US to my door. For 280 cl of rum. Oh, and a free Havana Club margarita glass. Hmm...

Is the Havana Club worth it? Am I missing out on something awesome? Or would I be better off buying four bottles of the outstanding Zacapa 23 that I can pick up locally for the same price?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

my personal opinion (and i'm in the same position as you) is that it just isn't worth the cost to ship.... but i don't have the flexibility to spend that kind of money (unless it's on cigars).... i know the site you are talking about, because I was in the same position.... instead I took the advice of many members here and grabbed the Zacapa 23 and i sip that while waiting for the embargo to end.....

but that's only my opinion.... if i had the flexibility, I would have purchased them long ago.... because Havana Club is brilliant stuff

I would agree it is not worth the cost BUT

I would still try to talk friends into bring some back from trips (Cuba, Mexico,etc)

or grab some yourself as it is nice to have any of the styles in the house. If you are across the border,

slip a bottle in the box your tequilla came in and import is not a problem.

I go for HC7 and Seleccion de Maestros when available in Duty Free. Picked up a bottle of each in Schilpol last November.

Agree not really worth the shipping costs.

Alrighty. Sounds like HC would be fun to try sometime, but until I can get it for a more reasonable cost I'll just stick with the Zacapa 23 and others I can get locally. I'll likely be in Montreal for a week or so this summer, so I'll get a bottle for my hotel room while I'm there. :)

Thanks, all!

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've had a hankerin' to try some of the Havana Club offerings. I love rum, so I'm sure I'll like it... just not sure if it's worth the associated shipping costs. I looked on a couple of different sites and for one bottle (70cl) each of the following: Anejo 3 yo, Anejo 7 yo, Anejo Especial, and Anejo Blanco it would end up costing right around $210US to my door. For 280 cl of rum. Oh, and a free Havana Club margarita glass. Hmm...

Is the Havana Club worth it? Am I missing out on something awesome? Or would I be better off buying four bottles of the outstanding Zacapa 23 that I can pick up locally for the same price?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

The Anejo 3 & Bianco are not really for sipping; better for mojitos. 7 & Especial are good for sipping but you may as well settle for the RZ if they are priced the same

I have some Havana Club 7 if you want to try it G.

Right on. I'll give you a shout and we can set up something.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple bottles of the Seleccion de Maestro that while very good are not as good to me as Zacapa 23. They do have a flavor that is unique though and worth the taste.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm not sure I'd go for it at that price point, but the Seleccion de Maestros is a very good rum. I also like Santiago De Cuba 11, if you're not worried about brand, just origin.

I have a bottle of Santiago De Cuba 20yr I pull out on special occasions and my oh my. Never cared much for Havana Club, the Zacapa... ah yes. That reminds me time to get some more been a while for sure. Don't mind the Legendario either... and so on it goes.

The price points are significantly different, to me.

Ron Zacapa 23 goes for about $45/bottle locally. I can get Havana Club 7 for about $28/bottle. $17 difference is quite a bit.

I think Havana Club is pretty tasty stuff, but I don't think it is the best rum ever or anything like that. Especially for the cost, it's pretty darn good. I would try it, but I wouldn't kill myself trying to get it. Now if you can get Santiago de Cuba, that's a whole different story. I loved the 12 yr., and found out that they make a 20 and a 25 yr. as well. I need to procure some of that!

The other suggestions were for excellent rum as well, but pricey- Seleccion de Maestros is quite expensive at around $80/bottle and Zacapa XO here is between $65-100. Obviously, if you get Zacapa in Central/South America, it is much, much cheaper.

I find myself reaching for the Zaya 12 Year Old over the Havana Club most nights I am in the mood for sipping rum.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Havana Club is a high quality distillate, but as any rum of its kind, depends on from which to choose and that you want it. If you compare a Havana 7 with better Zacapa rum then lose the battle, if instead you give me any Zacapa and I put it beside a Havana Club 15 years, then we could discuss widely qualities and properties.

The big problem is that the American Customer knows Zacapa, as it is widely known and famous in its market, few however know Havana Club and everything that the brand has, not to mention already that in Cuba there are better products than HC no doubt.

Havana Club is a high quality distillate, but as any rum of its kind, depends on from which to choose and that you want it. If you compare a Havana 7 with better Zacapa rum then lose the battle, if instead you give me any Zacapa and I put it beside a Havana Club 15 years, then we could discuss widely qualities and properties.

The big problem is that the American Customer knows Zacapa, as it is widely known and famous in its market, few however know Havana Club and everything that the brand has, not to mention already that in Cuba there are better products than HC no doubt.

It's all subjective, but I was very underwhelmed by Havana Club 15. Light bodied, no real depth of flavor. I like a heavy rum with depth and sweetness, though. However, I prefer Seleccion de Maestros aka barrel proof over HC 15/GR.

Santiago de Cuba is a different story. Even at the overpriced SAQ prices, Santiago 12 was worth it to me. I would like to find some 20 or 25 now.

I have not tried Maximo, but Zacapa XO and some of the Demerara products are, IMO, way better. Eldorado SB, 21 and 25.

• 1 month later...

It's all subjective, but I was very underwhelmed by Havana Club 15. Light bodied, no real depth of flavor. I like a heavy rum with depth and sweetness, though. However, I prefer Seleccion de Maestros aka barrel proof over HC 15/GR.

Santiago de Cuba is a different story. Even at the overpriced SAQ prices, Santiago 12 was worth it to me. I would like to find some 20 or 25 now.

I have not tried Maximo, but Zacapa XO and some of the Demerara products are, IMO, way better. Eldorado SB, 21 and 25.

As you said, he prefers heavy rums, which are all the opposite of what Cuba manufactures, since the classic standard used in my country, light rum, is unmatched with other styles which are often seen in the markets.

If you prefer El Dorado, Zacapa, or any Demerara, seems a very good choice, but a Santiago de Cuba 11 years, does not envy anything to those brands, and I speak of the 11 years that is not the top of range, it's not necessary to get up there. Zacapa XO face to face with a Santiago de Cuba 25 years, tasting blind, would be more than one surprise.

About Máximo there is no need to talk, sincerely i believe it is beyond what any one besides Cuba, can make. I could talk about other things, maybe Siglo y Medio, a reserve from another world, Isla del Tesoro, or any other reserve that made exist in Cuba, but we could leave it for another time.

• Like 1