Hanoi: The Metropole

An older, 2009 thread, mentioned the Metropole Hotel in Hanoi as a cigar friendly location and it still is in spades. Built in 1901 and full of glorious colonial attitude the Hotel sports cigar smoking in the outdoor Bamboo Bar (old wing) and in air conditioned comfort in bar/restaurant Angelina in the new wing. I'm currently smoking a waaaaaay too tight 2009 Punch Punch on an overstuffed couch in Angelina.

The Hotel used to stock cigars (in Angelina) but they do not currently. I heard that there is a cigar shop six blocks away but have not investigated yet.

While the Punch Punch is about as tight as a . . . as a . . . actually I've never had anything this damn tight, the 68F air-conditioning on a 90F day is making up for everything. That and the two for one happy hour cocktails! party.gif

Did I mention the shoe shines are free here? Hmmm?

Pictures please!!!! sounds fantastic and is on my list of places to see before i die.... bummer about the punch punch....

Only for you SL,

First a view of the Bamboo Bar and today's Punch Punch (much nicer draw!). Will try and grab an interior shot of the other cigar bar, Angelina's, tonight.

post-18301-0-25029900-1398413532_thumb.j

post-18301-0-55875200-1398413588_thumb.j

spent a couple of weeks there a few years back doing a australian food and wine presentation. loved it. great memories. thanks.

I read that 2009 thread. What a great story! Would have loved to have been in on that!

that one was not me. i was quite a few years pre that. late 90s from memory.

Correct my friend, Someone else started that thread, but within it you related the story of your food/wine trip there and the altercation between the French and the Aussie chefs who went on to become great friends. Wonderful story. http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98416&hl=hanoi

Correct my friend, Someone else started that thread, but within it you related the story of your food/wine trip there and the altercation between the French and the Aussie chefs who went on to become great friends. Wonderful story. http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98416&hl=hanoi

in that case, yes.

he was round last week for a few drinks and we were actually chatting about it. you've a better memory than i possess.

Here's a pic of the other Metropole cigar venue: Angelina. Open until 2 a.m., a nice bar (not pictured) and an excellent, non-traditional Italian menu. They give you these groovy, extra long hand-made matches (but also have a torch suitable for welding). Don't use their cutter, it's about as sharp as an FOH cigar reviewer into their second bottle on The Deck! :P

The hotel sells cigars from Angelina's and the Bamboo Bar but they were out of stock when I was there. Heard their was a cigar shop about 6 blocks away but haven't checked it out.

post-18301-0-59585900-1398512530_thumb.j

• 2 years later...

Oh, sad news: the Bamboo Bar is now non-smoking altogether.  You can still smoke out by the pool, but nowhere under the roof of the Bamboo Bar at the Metropole. :( 

• 1 year later...

A little good news update:  Angelina at the Metropole, which had gone to "Cigars only allowed late after the dinner hour" has now cordoned off the first anteroom with curtains to better control the smoke and once again allow smoking during all opening hours.