Cherry Smoked BBQ Baby Backs

SaintLuis

For Memorial Day, my father enlisted me for the rib portion of the barbecue.

We had six racks of fresh (never frozen) baby backs to eat, which were prepped and dry rubbed the day before, and foiled overnight. prep is simply trimming excess fat and odd bits, and stripping the membrane from the bone side. Rub is a brown sugar and chili base with cayenne, cumin salt and pepper.

I was limited on space, so I used a rib rack to help get all 6 racks on the 22" space, all off the heat. I also used a water pan over the coals to help modulate the temperature for the meat closest to the fire, and turned all racks bone side towards the fire. Despite the crowd you'll see below, I was able to get them all in with space between them, and they cooked surprisingly evenly. I did rotate after 2.5 hrs anyways, just in case.

Wood of preference for this cook was cherry. I prefer fruit wood alone for ribs, so as to not overwhelm the pork and spice taste.

Total cook was about 5.25hrs, and the ribs were a big hit. Great consistency and flavor, and just enough smoke. We served them dry, but had a nice sticky KC style sauce on the side, which for the one rib I did allow to touch it, was a very nice compliment if that's your thing.

Enjoy. smile.png

post-19989-0-82234700-1401227042_thumb.j

post-19989-0-58853800-1401227056_thumb.j

post-19989-0-15021900-1401227212_thumb.j

post-19989-0-12000600-1401227222_thumb.j

• Like 1

Look damn good. I've got a couple racks brining now to smoke tomorrow. Typically use Apple wood myself.

Will be doing the dry rub in a couple hours, rest and wrap overnight.

Smoke 'em over indirect heat for about 5 hours at 220, always awesome!

Looks absolutely mouthwatering! May I ask what you use for your rub? I've just been using off the shelf stuff, or going super simple (ground red pepper, black pepper, salt) as I find the prospect of crafting a rub sorta daunting.

We are more likely to do flank, skirt, brisket than ribs. Sometimes salmon sides.

Wilkey

I use different rubs for beef than pork.

for pork, I like a simple chili based rub.

4 parts chili powder

1 part garlic powder

1 part onion powder

1 part salt

1 part black pepper

You can also add 1 part brown sugar which helps a bit with bark formation.

for beef I'll usually dial back the chili, eliminate cumin, and add coffee and more black pepper.

• 1 year later...

Personally I don't care to much for Cherry wood but to each there own.

For pork i prefere Hickory and Apple..

Your Ribs look Fantastic!

You could try the 3 2 1 method

3 hours on the smoker with your rub

2 hours wrapped in tin foil with a little juice of your liking a little honey or extra brown sugar to your taste

1 hour unwrapped to firm up!

Now I'm hungry...too bad BBQ sucks around my neck of the woods.

Sam's BBQ in Campbell will change your opinion!

• Like 1