2014 Blind Tasting Competition - Cigar No. 3 Reveal

Reveal time!

Wow, disappointing... tongue.png 1/62... 0.016% correct. To be fair, conniving Rob did throw you a curve ball here. I am certain that many of you would not have tried this cigar before in your rotation, and perhaps would have purposefully declined to smoke this in the past.

The 2014 Blind Tasting Cigar No. 3 was - Montecristo Open Master (Rob the Scrooge? rotfl.gif)

Some clients were impressed by the initial construction (wrapper particularly) of this cigar, but the resounding consensus was that cigar no. 4 was a very one dimension cigar that petered out into nothingness fast. At least there was some consistency on this point innocent.gif

Some clients did enjoy it however, and I must raise the point - never judge a book by its cover. The Open line cops a lot of flak, but for some BOTLs, this example was certainly an enjoyable cigar.

I think that a special mention should go out to Famous, who was the one and only member to pick this correctly. Well done mate biggrin.png

This round was a write off for many members, so with only two members sitting ahead of the pack at 2/3, the last 2 cigars offer a chance to make up lost ground. Bring on cigar no. 4 party.gif

post-17193-0-29867900-1402364873_thumb.p

• Like 1

My example tasted great.

It's the first I've ever had, and it was by far the best of the three blind cigars I've had so far.

It had sugary notes, sweetenss and a hay like profile that I rarely see in montecristo. It's construction was also impeccable.

I'm not sure on what they cost, but I'd buy a box if they all tatsed like the I had. In fact, I'd make them part of my regular rotation.

Did you read the reviews?

I did, some were impressed - others not so much. Muted and dull descriptions were brought up a bit.

Also some members got a sense of this cigar having no real discernible direction, with underdeveloped flavour profiles coming at the from left, right and centre.

Every cigar smoker has an individual palete - impossible to find a cigar everyone will like/hate

No way!? My #3 stick had a kink in it at the halfway point like it was on the outer ring of the bundle where the ribbon was tied. Open Master's come in dress boxes. W T H? I should have taken a photo. That "kink" helped me narrow it down a bit. Or so I thought.

It's the only cigar I have never smoked.

The only cigar!?! What about sticks 1 and 2? wink.png

And wow. What's next? Punch Northern Lights? MC 2000 anniversarys!?!

Might as well have someone guess those laugh.png

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

No way!? My #3 stick had a kink in it at the halfway point like it was on the outer ring of the bundle where the ribbon was tied. Open Master's come in dress boxes. W T H? I should have taken a photo. That "kink" helped me narrow it down a bit. Or so I thought.

It's funny you say that, Frank.

My example also had all the hallmarks of being a cabinet packaged cigar. In fact, I ruled out anything dress boxed right away as it was obvious (or so I though) that this was 100% from a cab.

What's funny is I called this on #1.....PM to Rob:

2014 Blind Tasting cigar #1

Habana Mike

Prominentes

• Interests:Traveling, BBQ, homebrew, single malts, habanos, deep sea fishing, technology and jazz

Sent 27 March 2014 - 12:58 AM

OK, here's my guess.

Based on my limited knowledge and experience I have to go with the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure #2.

There's no other that hit the keys I'd look for though I would not be surprised if you threw in a Montecristo Master as a ringer, never had one of those but based on what I've heard about them and the somewhat flat experience wouldn't be surprised. If it was a CoRo it was quite sick.

Cheers

Mike

Funny my guess was Coro on this one. Reviewed #3 as flat and muted, like many young CoRo's in past.

Regardless I am obviously a tosser when it comes to blind tastings........

Too funny indeed. I haven't smoked a Montecristo Open since the release party where I kinda decided that I wouldn't smoke another one... lol3.gif

Sorry you had to mate. You know who to blame moon.gif

• Like 1

yeah baby! i knew this must be a monte open... here are my notes to the vote:

The cigar has perfect construction, but totally mute in flavors. absolutely nothing… just a relatively smooth smoke, but without any flavors coming from it. As a result I want to say that my initial instinct is that this is the Montecristo Master… but i find it hard to believe that El Pres will play with us like this…

lol.

cheers

Funny my guess was Coro on this one. Reviewed #3 as flat and muted, like many young CoRo's in past.

I made the same guess for similar reasons. Mine was plagued with construction issues, tunneling like crazy. The first bit was pretty tasty, but after that it kept getting screwed up from the constant touch-ups. I ended up ditching it at the beginning of the last third. I figured that I just got a bum stick, but apparently not. Two left to go!!