Catch of the day!

Grahamsant

On 11/2/2014 at 7:57 PM, Brah said:

I'm new here so I'm using that as an excuse to post not so fresh pics.

In June of this year my brother and i went on a fishing trip to a lodge at the northern tip of the Queen Charlottes. The sunrise and conditions were absolutely perfect and we kept a few mid teen springs. This corner of the world is absolute bliss.

Fantastic! Salwater Fly? I've read about guys that do that, do you still need to work the line or do you just drop it in and jig?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My brother and I fishing in Canada. Any Musky fisherman around? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abalone day, we only get 5 Sundays a year and one hr on each Sunday between 7 and 8am ...how deliciously  sweet do they look !      

West Australian Dhu fish ...average size ...Went out with an old sea dog ...does not get any better

57 minutes ago, westg said:

004.JPG Today we picked up one king gorge whiting after another ..all between 50 - 55cm ...delicious ...Have to share with my little man Finn

005.JPG

My second favourite eating fish behind Tasmanian Stripey Trumpeter. Strangely, I like them for breakfast. Great catch.

1 hour ago, Bill Hayes said:

My second favourite eating fish behind Tasmanian Stripey Trumpeter. Strangely, I like them for breakfast. Great catch.

Yep any time is a good time to eat these little suckers ...my second fav as well ..

• 2 weeks later...
Big Louisiana Redfish on Fly.  It was 47.4"

781C79AF-6D5A-4B9E-B7CA-38E69496DE0C.png_zpsjqmfvfmp.jpeg

And then a 50lb Black drum on the same fly!

A6F6195E-08B2-4A0A-956E-109ED510B67A_zpskzgc8yax.jpg

Those are too of the biggest of each species I've seen. That redfish is so big i thought it was photoshopped. That one hell of a catch on a fly, well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:31 AM, eswary said:

Those are too of the biggest of each species I've seen. That redfish is so big i thought it was photoshopped. That one hell of a catch on a fly, well done

Thanks!

Yeah, we were calling this a trip to Jurassic Park. Hahaha.

They can be unbelievably huge when the bulls run in the winter time. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, westg said:

A few crays from the pots this morning , beautiful day for it

thumbnail_IMAG2815 cray pull 4.jpg

Not much better than freshly caught Southern Rock Lobster. Great catch. You guys live in a blessed part of the world.

• Like 1

A few more cray and some Roes abalone ...all before 8am  ..a few bottles of nice wine some grey goose vodka.....019.JPG jobs on ...

Mate that is sensational whereabouts are you catching those?

16 minutes ago, westg said:

I am about an hour south of Perth...club med Mandurah...you can see it on the members map ..click on my profile

didn't realise you were from mandurah. had friends from a farm around there (well, knew the daughter mostly - she moved over this way many years ago). i suspect they moved quite some time ago. father sadly passed away. the rocchi family.

22 hours ago, westg said:

we sure do Bill a few more this morning ....and opening day for abalone season  ,,best time of the year

I think our abalone season for the central zone starts on Nov 16 on weekends and public holidays. But the weather has been crap with horrible visibility. Hopefully it gets a bit better as the water warms up a bit. Got a nice pair of carbon Dive R freedive fins for my birthday that I've only used in the local pool so far.

2 hours ago, MPfit said:

Kingfish tournament in Tampa Bay with my stepson! We caught tons but only this guy came to weigh in. Not even half the winning size at 20lbs.

IMG_3868.JPG

nice fish - photos can be deceiving but it looks more like what we would call a wahoo (i think they get called ono or peto or peta? elsewhere). can grow much larger over here.

this is our wahoo. similar?

Image result for wahoo

this is what we call kingfish - very strong fighters and a lot of fishermen target them.

1024x682-KingFish-01

this is what we call spanish mackerel. again, can grow into monsters and serious fighters. i remember decades ago the old man catching one off the reef which was taller than him.

th?&id=OIP.M0709c769a40b36068e96578da5883430o0&w=300&h=225&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

should add that i just grabbed these pics from the internet. nothing here i caught.

4 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

nice fish - photos can be deceiving but it looks more like what we would call a wahoo (i think they get called ono or peto or peta? elsewhere). can grow much larger over here.

this is our wahoo. similar?

Image result for wahoo

this is what we call kingfish - very strong fighters and a lot of fishermen target them.

1024x682-KingFish-01

this is what we call spanish mackerel. again, can grow into monsters and serious fighters. i remember decades ago the old man catching one off the reef which was taller than him.

th?&id=OIP.M0709c769a40b36068e96578da5883430o0&w=300&h=225&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

should add that i just grabbed these pics from the internet. nothing here i caught.

Ken, it may just be regional naming but I reckon the fish MPfit has is perhaps a Spanish Mackerel. Not sure though. It doesn't have stripes so it may be a juvenile Wahoo as you've suggested. The fish on the deck with a yellow background is a Shark Mackerel. Not sure about the fish on the kitchen bench but it may be some kind of mackerel. And the fish the guy is holding is a wahoo or Ono (also means delicious) in Hawaii. Wahoo and Spanish mackerel are very similar. The wahoo is considered one of the fastest fish in the ocean and have longer snouts than Spanish Mackerel and grow bigger and can be caught in open ocean. Spanish Mackerel mostly stick to inner reefs like the Great Barrier reef. But wahoo can be found throughout the Coral Sea. The fish I am holding is a Spanish Mackerel caught in The Solomons and the locals called it a Kingfish. Fish naming is always tricky because of local names like the Mulloway being known as a Jewfish because of its jewelled ear cover/bone. Spanish mackerel and Wahoo are great eating but the Shark mackerel not so much.

spanish mack.jpg

Hi guys! 

Not a wahoo or Spanish mackerel- we have both here- and yes it is a regional lingo issue; it's actually a King Mackeral (cousin to the Spanish that grows much much bigger). We call them kingfish as a short abbreviation for king mackeral! 

However they may be different in different regions. That fish you're holding in the picture from the Solomon Islands I wouldn't call a Spanish mackeral- it's the same species as mine; king mackeral which may be why they call it a kingfish over there also. Species naming can be tricky- but Spanish mackeral have distinctive dots. The king mackeral has that horizontal line that goes across it, and then drops down right around the dorsal fin.

At least that's how we call em in the Gulf of Mexico!

• Like 1

Hope the King Mackerel was good eating. My Spanish Mackerel was shared with the villagers but also served up at our resort Island style in small raw dices in lime juice and a touch of coconut milk like a ceviche. It was one of the best fish dishes I've had. But I was biased because I caught it. 

names are really a problem. i know australia tried to standardise things but that does not help for offshore (or plenty of locals).

i look at the monster spaniard that the old man caught many years ago and it does have some stripes. it was pretty good eating, as i recall, but as it was a big old fish, probably could have been better.

• Like 1