Steak knives

jazzboypro

Hello all,

I'm starting to look for a good set of steak knives to replace my current cheap set. After some readings these three brands seems the way to go

Wusthof

Zwilling JA Henckels

Victorinox

They all have some reasonably priced sets and some expensive ones.

Do any of you have any experience with these brands ? Any recommendations ?

Thanks

I have a set of the JA Henckels steak knives. I like them a lot. They work well, feel good in the hand, seem well constructed. I'm glad I splurged and bought them. (on sale) Had them for only about 2 years now so I can't speak to their longevity.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the other two.

-Dan

Henckel has three bazillion sets of knives. Worth getting the top tier ones if you know what the hell to do with them. Otherwise, their regular lines available at most big box stores, including Costco, are fine.

I have an affordable set of Laguiole that are wonderful and were really not expensive at all.

As others have said Wusthof and Henkel I think your on the right track. I was doing some research before I bought my Wustof set 5yrs ago. No idea most of the great knife makers in the US are gone. There is still a couple of guys but they do their own stuff and the wait is over a year and really expensive. Best knife makers for the home that is readily available come from either German or Japan. The two I mentioned are really good as well as KIN from Japan. KIN makes some really gorgeous high quality knives.

http://www.kinknives.com/

• 1 year later...