Your favourite alcoholic (and non alcoholic) pairings with a cigar in the following categories

What is your favourite accompaniment with a cigar from the following categories? I will move this thread to the booze section come Monday but I would love to hear your thoughts over the weekend if for nothing more than to garner some new ideas party.gif

The categories:

Red Wine pairing:

White Wine pairing:

Fortified Wine pairing:

Spirits pairing:

Beer pairing:

Non Alcoholic pairing:

For me:

Red Wine pairing:

Not many Red wines pair well with cigars....and yet I do it regularly rolleyes.gif. I think that any good Italian Amarone is perfect. The sweetness of the fruit and generally low tannins work a treat. I also can't resist a good Bordeaux with a cigar. Both are brilliant.

White Wine pairing:

I don't drink a lot of white wine but I can't go past Gewürztraminer with a cigar. Canadian Ice wine is also a treat.

Fortified Wine pairing:

Simple. Pedro Ximenez Sherry. My drink of choice is Romate Cardenal Cisneros Pedro Ximenez. If you have never tried the pairing....do yourself a favour and rush out this weekend and pick up a bottle.

Spirits pairing:

Rum. Zacapa 23 or XO are my preference. I have tried most rums but I keep going back to these two.

Non Alcoholic pairing:

Good black coffee with a touch of sugar. Stovetop or espresso.

Let us know your favourite tipples spotlight.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My all time favorite beverage to have with a cigar is a glass of Coke with ice.

What is your favourite accompaniment with a cigar from the following categories? I will move this thread to the booze section come Monday but I would love to hear your thoughts over the weekend if for

Awwwww shiiiiit! Super topic. Red Wine pairing: Barolo & Barbera are generally a winner for me. More specifically, lately, the Katnook Estate Odyssey Cab Sav 2009 was next level, highly recomme

The categories:

Red Wine pairing:

None (and I'm shaking my head at the thought of Amarone, heathen. Is Italian Amarone akin to French Champagne? biggrin.png )

White Wine pairing:

Crisp, but not overly astringent.

Fortified Wine pairing:

Don't do a ton, but will try.

Spirits pairing:

Again, nothing astringent - no gin, no tequila, etc.

Non Alcoholic pairing:

While I assume this is a trick question, I also go with coffee - hot or iced, cream no sugar.

Off The Board:

Non hoppy beer - Guinness stout is a fave. Sparkling white or rosé wines.

Great topic; pairings have been something I've been thinking about recently.

Red wine: Usually try to keep red wine for food as the cigar taints the flavour for me but when I do it's an aussie shiraz or argentinian malbec

White wine: German Reisling or NZ Pinot Grigio - Saint Clair Pioneer Block pairs excellently

Fortified: Never paired any fortified wine with cigars but would be interested to try a Dows Quinta Do Bomfin Port

Spirits: Any Islay scotch; lagavulin or Caol Ila are favourites. Or quite often a Negroni, Americano or campari and soda. I love campari and find it's bitter taste pairs very well.

Non-alcoholic: Full fat Milk is a favourite, espresso/americano (dark roasted beans) and Lemon Iced tea a close second

Awwwww shiiiiit!

Super topic.

Red Wine pairing: Barolo & Barbera are generally a winner for me. More specifically, lately, the Katnook Estate Odyssey Cab Sav 2009 was next level, highly recommend, will drink again.

White Wine pairing: Champagne! Easy! Current fave would be Devaux. Always love H. Blin, and that weird 2Xoz experimental thing by R. Pouillon & Fils has stuck with me.

Fortified Wine pairing: Never ventured to deeply into this. Will take you at your word and try your suggestion this weekend.

Spirits pairing: Whisky, Rum or Gin. Depends on the time of day and which side of what meal we are flanking. Negroni is a constant feature in our house though.

Non Alcoholic pairing: Espresso or Chinotto. If you like Negroni and Campari in particular. Look up Chinotto as a an alternative to Coke. It's an Italian adult cola drink.

Beer: How dare you leave this category out! I love Stone & Wood. Would lean towards the Jasper Ale. And I love most dark beers. But my favourite beer of all time is the Estrella Damm Inedit.

• Like 1

99% of the time I'm a rum and diet coke drinker. I blend certain rums to get just the right amount of sweetness. Usually something like Ron Flor de Cana with a really sweet rum like Myers with a mixture ratio of about 70/30. Works for me.

Red Wine pairing: Pass, don't enjoy red wine with my cigars

White Wine pairing: Brown Brothers Moscato

Fortified Wine pairing: McWilliams Hanwood Estate 10 year old Grand Tawny

Spirits pairing: ron Zacapa 23 or XO. Best rum ever.

Cider pairing: Brothers Toffee Apple cider

Non Alcoholic pairing: Ginger Ale or Hot Chocolate :)

Red/White/Fortified Wine pairing:

I don't really drink wine, reds give me migraines and I just haven't found many whites I enjoy.

Spirits pairing:

Most often scotch or bourbon. Love balvenie Carib. Cask and highland 15 or angels envy or basil Hayden right now.

Non Alcoholic pairing:

I love Coke or Pepsi

Beer pairing:

Living in a beer heaven the exact kinds rotate frequently, but I love a good IRA or other red ale, a good golden or a black IPA are my faves in summer. In the winter I go with porters or imperial stouts.

Red Wine pairing

Need to try

White Wine pairing:

Need to try

Fortified Wine pairing

Ramos Pinto red Port Wine LBV 2009 was excellent. Not overly sweet.

Spirits pairing:

Cask Strength scotch -Aberlour Abunadh

Beer pairing:

Need to try.

Non Alcoholic pairing:

Coffee/Espresso. Will try Chinotto

Red Wine: I feel that nice dry bold red cleanses the palette after each puff and gets you ready for the next one. But I rarely do this; I have red wine with red meats, hearty pasta dishes and stews/braises.

White: I only drink white if drinking light socially or eating light seafood/pasta dishes or soups.

Fortified Wines: I cook with the stuff, that's about it.

Spirits:

It's pretty situational and seasonal. Beach environment is usually a gin and tonic, vodka soda garnished twist or wedge w/ or w/o a splash of lemonade, or dark and stormy with the cigar.

Fall is mostly bourbon, sometime scotch

Winter to early spring is usually scotch

There's a rare rum on the rocks here and there. Diplomatico reserva, Pyrat xo, Zacapa 23, to name a few.

Beer:

This usually happens at the beach. Michelob Ultra, Heineken light, Budweiser or Miller High Life, champagne of beers...on ice.

Non alcoholic: Mostly iced coffee with milk and sugar. Sometimes loose leaf black tea or a bottled Honest Tea.

My father had Champagne tastes and a Beer budget and he passed that on to me.

I'm not much of a wine drinker so I cannot list any of them with any sort of conviction.

As for Spirits I usually use a single malt scotch, neat, or some type of dark rum (Bacardi 8yr or Appleton XO)

As for beer I like my beer like I like my water..... Miller Lite. Gets me buzzed and doesn't overpower the cigar.

Anything else would be a Diet coke, Root beer or Ice Water

Beer: Guiness has paired up well with any cigar that has either roasted nut/tobacco and earth flavors for me.

Spirits: Bourbon works well with sweeter flavored cigars. I love peated scotches (Lagavulin, Kilchoman, and Ardbeg, yum) but they wreck my pallet and I don't get much out of a cigar after that.

Red Wine pairing:

I must credit our beloved founder of Cuban Cigar Website and FoH Moderator, Trevor2118 for introducing me to the fine pleasure of drinking Red Wine with cigars. A Cabernet Shiraz with a fine cigar always go nicely!

White Wine pairing:

I do enjoy White Wine, especially if fruity, but have not tried it with a cigar.

Fortified Wine pairing:

I also enjoy Port, but have not tried it with a cigar.

Spirits pairing:

Where do I start? Single Malt such as Ardbeg, or blended Japanese Whiskeys such as ***** from the Barrel. I also love Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey straight or with Coke. I mainly choose Cognac if I want a spirit with a cigar, my favourite is either Hennessy XO or VSOP.

I also love cocktails with cigars. Give me any of the following: Caipirinha, Sidecar Cocktail, Negroni, Manhattan (with Rye), Martini, Old Fashioned Cocktail (with Bourbon or Rum), Sazerac (with Rye), Black or White Russian or an Espresso Martini. These cocktails I always come back to.

Beer pairing:

I'm not much of a beer drinker. If I do, I prefer a dark ale like Guinness, but not with a cigar.

Non Alcoholic pairing:

Most of the time, I enjoy a Black Espresso (or Stovetop) Coffee, without sugar, with my cigar. This is the drink I enjoy the most!

No wine & beer for me. Spirit: Dry Gin like Tanqueray or No.3 + Light Tonic (Schweppes Dry or Fentimans Light) / Non-Alcoholic: Light Tonic or Coke. Love Espresso but not a fan of pairing it with cigars, overpowers the palate instead of refreshing it.

I'm a simpleton and mostly drink carbonated non-alcoholic beverages with my cigars, or coffee.

If I'm having coffee, it's black Swedish percolator dark roasts from Zoegás or Arvid Nordquist.

Sodas, I prefer Coke or Vanilla Coke, but cane cola, cream soda and similar sillyness have worked rather well with cigars too. Dr Pepper as well, surprisingly enough!

I do like whisky or rum with my cigar, but have no pairing ambitions. At the moment I only have one bottle of rum, but it's a nice enough 23 yrs QRM Ron Quorhum.

Red Wine pairing:

No thanks.

White Wine pairing:

No thanks

Fortified Wine pairing:

What in heaven's name is this...???

Spirits pairing:

Now we are talking....a Bourbon Manhattan, a good Cognac, A good single malt, preferably Clynelish, 10 Cane rum

Beer pairing:

Yes! A crisp, cold pilsner!

Non Alcoholic pairing:

Ice water, iced seltzer, coffee (hot or iced) with cream no sugar, sweet black tea, iced cola

But my favorite is to drunkenly pour a splash of red wine into my glass of rum... wink.png

Favourite pairing for me is a good cup of green tea or water. Tend to prefer something that cleanses the palate

If I had to drink something alcoholic, then a cigar with a good single malt or cognac would work

Great topic! He it goes:

Red Wine pairing: Never. Unless I were stuck on a deserted island with a few cases of good Chateauneuf

White Wine pairing: Never. Unless I were stuck on a deserted island with a few cases of good Chablis

Fortified Wine pairing: Rarely now... used to like Barros Colheita with my cigars, but out of that phase now.

Spirits pairing: Calvados or Armagnac, any good single malt (anything with character and complexity, can't be too peaty though), rum (Mulata 7 does the job for me) or bourbon/old fashioned (Evan Williams single barrel or Buffalo Trace neat, Evan Williams Black for my OF...). I'm very flexible when it comes to spirits!

Beer pairing: A good micro-brewery IPA - it's Lawson's these days - or a nice stout - always St-Ambroise!

Non Alcoholic pairing: water or espresso