Phreedh's Cheap & Cheerful mini-reviews thread

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A while ago I bought a selection of cheapies from a local store. My criteria at the time was that they cost less than 50 SEK ($6) and were readily available. After coming home, it did not take long fo

José L. Piedra Petit Cazadores (43 x 105, Petit Corona, Short Filler) Avg price: $2.23 Price ratio: 108 Did I like it: Quite so. Will I buy it: Maybe, depends on the competition. At first: Ni

Quintero Nacionales or Brevas (41 x 140, Corona, Short Filler) Avg price: $3.25 Price ratio: 90 Did I like it: Sure! Will I buy it: Nah... At first: Very one-dimensional (albeit tasty) tobac

I've never had the JLP brevas but I enjoy the Quinteros brevas pretty often.

I'm looking forward to try the Quinteros Brevas, I have it waiting for me. I'll move it to the front of the queue while I have the JLP Brevas fresh in memory.

Today I picked up the remaining 16 from the box of JLP Conservas above. Will be interesting to sample box consistency. They were mid 2013, as were the Brevas and Favoritos.

Quintero Londres Extra (40 x 123, Petit Corona, Short Filler)

Avg price: $3.07
Price ratio: 79
Did I like it: A little
Will I buy it: No
At first:
Nothing Extra about this Londres.
Later on:
... it started raining.
cnc_quintero_londresextra.jpg
In conclusion:
A thunderstorm picked up while I smoked this cigar, so I lost my notes. I do however remember the general verdict (which is what's really the point of these mini reviews). I found the taste and flavours enjoyable but unremarkable. It's such an unremarkable cigar in all aspects that I can't recommend it. The blend is most likely the same as other Quinteros, and with other vitolas (both bigger and smaller) available the Londres Extra is very "in between" in every way.
  • Like 3

Quintero Brevas or Nacionales (41 x 140, Corona, Short Filler)

Avg price: $2.66
Price ratio: 109
Did I like it: Probably
Will I buy it: Uncertain
At first:
Bitterness, tasty Cuban, cedar.
Later on:
More cedar, more bitterness, still tasty, also almonds.
cnc_quintero_brevas.jpg
In conclusion:
I'm pretty sure something was wrong with this cigar. No idea what. I have never tasted such foul bitterness, both in the smoke and on the lips. Very strong cedar flavours coupled with the bitterness made me put it down early. There were some enjoyable aromas in there too but the bitterness really made it hard to pick anything out. Almonds, almost like french nougat, and a hint of leather wafting through it all. Most of all, it felt more complex than the other same size Quintero I had. Out of all Quinteros, so far, I think this was the most interesting one. In spite of the bitterness... go figure.
  • Like 1

I cracked the remains of the cigar open today, to inspect and found nothing out of the ordinary. However, a strong perfumey odour came from the filler. I'm wondering if it's something in the tobacco that can cause this, as I've had the same sensation in one brand of Swedish snus from time to time. Only in that one single brand, mind. Never noticed it in cigars before.

As a newbie to cigars this thread and all of your reviews are extremely helpful. Obviously being new I don't want to spend big coin on cigars that I may not like so your reviews help and will allow me to by some C&Cs so that I can figure out exactly what suits my palate. Thanks a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Cheers Scrubber, I'm happy you find it useful. Welcome to the siblinghood of the leaf! =)

As a newbie to cigars this thread and all of your reviews are extremely helpful. Obviously being new I don't want to spend big coin on cigars that I may not like so your reviews help and will allow me to by some C&Cs so that I can figure out exactly what suits my palate. Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

Quintero Panetelas (36 x 127, Short Panetela)

Avg price: $2.81
Price ratio: 72
Did I like it: No
At first:
Mostly sweet tobacco, some dried fruits and marzipan.
Later on:
Bland and boring. Umami body on the retro.
cnc_quintero_panetelas_2.jpg
In conclusion:
A rather boring and pointless affair. Had this in the morning, with a nice cup of coffee on a day off. Can't say I enjoyed it. There was nought wrong with it, but the flavours were dull and boring. The draw was a little on the tight side. Won't bother with these again. With this small size of cigar, it's worth putting in a little extra coin to get something better.

Rafael Gonzáles Panetelas Extra (36 x 127, Short Filler, Short Panetela)

Avg price: $3.08
Price ratio: 66
Did I like it: Yes
Will I buy it: Maybe
At first:
Wow, orange zest and some vegetal notes.
Later on:
Underfilled, still tasty but heavier and "muffled" flavours.
cnc_rafaelgonzales_panetelasextra.jpg
In conclusion:
This was a fun cigar. Right from the get-go it displayed an array of flavours the Quinteros haven't come close to matching. Very nice blend. The specimen I had was a bit under filled in the last third so got spongy, hot and raw in the flavours. I had to purge it constantly. The main body of the cigar was a full, dark citrus flavour mixed with some spicy herbal or vegetal notes on the retro. I rather liked it, but it felt a bit cheap in construction (go figure) so the final verdict is mixed. Great flavours though, quite enjoyable!
  • Like 2

Rafael Gonzales Panetelas Extra (36 x 127, Short Filler, Short Panetela)

Avg price: $3.08
Price ratio: 66
Did I like it: Yes
Will I buy it: Maybe
At first:
Wow, orange zest and some vegetal notes.
Later on:
Underfilled, still tasty but heavier and "muffled" flavours.
cnc_rafaelgonzales_panetelasextra.jpg
In conclusion:
This was a fun cigar. Right from the get-go it displayed an array of flavours the Quinteros haven't come close to matching. Very nice blend. The specimen I had was a bit under filled in the last third so got spongy, hot and raw in the flavours. I had to purge it constantly. The main body of the cigar was a full, dark citrus flavour mixed with some spicy herbal or vegetal notes on the retro. I rather liked it, but it felt a bit cheap in construction (go figure) so the final verdict is mixed. Great flavours though, quite enjoyable!

Great review. The RGPE is one of my go-to cheap cigars: I like the flavours a lot. However, they all need to be well packed with thick wrappers, IMO.

• Like 1

José L. Piedra Cremas (40 x 136, Short Filler, Corona)

Avg price: $2.43
Price ratio: 111
Did I like it: Somewhat
At first:
Good. Almonds and french nougat. Tight draw.
Later on:
Citrus zest and burnt wood.
cnc_joselpiedra_cremas.jpg
In conclusion:
An enjoyable but rather anonymous and non-descript smoke. Nice flavours, but very subtle and subdued. Everything was wrapped in a basic tobacco flavour. I liked it, but not enough to buy again or recommend it. To quote Douglas Adams and the HHG; "Mostly harmless".

Oi so many Quintero and Jose L Piedras, I feel bad for your tastebuds.

Try out the Hoyo De Monterrey Palmas Extra - I find this to be a highly underrated and surprisingly full flavoured smoke.

A lot of people like the Por Larranga Pantelas but I just find them OK.

HUHC are a staple in everybody's humidor but I prefer the Majestics. Would be interested in your thoughts since you didn't seem to care for the Majestics much.

R&J Coronitas en Cedro are another staple and are fantastic with a couple years on them.

At least I hope you keep buying and reviewing, really enjoying this thread!

• Like 1

Don't feel sorry for my taste buds. Since I started this thread I've had Cohiba BHK 54s, a HdM DC and several other premium cigars outside of the scope of this thread. :D Add to that, I actually like the JLP flavours. Not the Quinteros so much...

I've had the Palmas Extra and I'm a sucker for HdM in general. Didn't manage to take any notes though so will have to revisit at a later date. =)

Regarding the HU Majestics, I haven't tried it. I do like Upmann (such as the HC or Noellas) and I enjoyed the Epicures I tried. I disagreed with nothing but the format. =)

The upside of me trucking through the JLP and Quinteros is that I don't have many shortfiller left to try. Here's what I've got in the stash for this thread, so far:

Bolivar No 3

H. Upmann Coronas Junior
H. Upmann Coronas Major
Jose L. Piedra Cazadores
La Flor de Cano Petit Coronas
La Flor de Cano Selectos
Partagás Super Partagás
Por Larrañaga Montecarlo
Punch Coronations
Punch Petit Coronations
Romeo Y Julieta Romeo No.2
San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe

Oi so many Quintero and Jose L Piedras, I feel bad for your tastebuds.
Try out the Hoyo De Monterrey Palmas Extra - I find this to be a highly underrated and surprisingly full flavoured smoke.
A lot of people like the Por Larranga Pantelas but I just find them OK.
HUHC are a staple in everybody's humidor but I prefer the Majestics. Would be interested in your thoughts since you didn't seem to care for the Majestics much.
R&J Coronitas en Cedro are another staple and are fantastic with a couple years on them.
At least I hope you keep buying and reviewing, really enjoying this thread!

• 2 weeks later...