Phreedh's Cheap & Cheerful mini-reviews thread

H. Upmann Coronas Junior (36 x 115, Aluminium Tube, Short Panetela)

Avg price: $5.48
Price ratio: 34
Did I like it: Very much
Will I buy it: Could happen
At first:
Toasty wood, cedar. Mild but rich.
Later on:
Creamy, pastry and still cedar.
cnc_hupmann_coronas_junior_1.jpg
In conclusion:
A very nice little smoke enjoyed a sunny but windy day on the beach in Cretes. Practical with it's tube and the small dimensions. It was a little bit dry, but that's probably more due to the windy conditions than the cigar itself. Definitely a contender for a box purchase of small tubos. Refined and classy smoke!
cnc_hupmann_coronas_junior_2.jpg
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A while ago I bought a selection of cheapies from a local store. My criteria at the time was that they cost less than 50 SEK ($6) and were readily available. After coming home, it did not take long fo

José L. Piedra Petit Cazadores (43 x 105, Petit Corona, Short Filler) Avg price: $2.23 Price ratio: 108 Did I like it: Quite so. Will I buy it: Maybe, depends on the competition. At first: Ni

Quintero Nacionales or Brevas (41 x 140, Corona, Short Filler) Avg price: $3.25 Price ratio: 90 Did I like it: Sure! Will I buy it: Nah... At first: Very one-dimensional (albeit tasty) tobac

Punch Petit Coronations (40 x 117, Aluminium Tube, Petit Corona)

Avg price: $6.07
Price ratio: 38
Did I like it: Yes indeed
Will I buy it: No, probably not
At first:
Ooh, flavourful! Citrus, berries, leather. Strong!
Later on:
Deep leather, very rich flavours.
cnc_punch_petit_coronations.jpg
In conclusion:
Liked this quite a lot. Draw was tight, but not too tight. It's a nice little tubo with good bang for the buck, with what I'd expect to be pretty good potential for aging a few years. I'm sensitive for harshness and there was none here, no rough edges at all. All these positives aside, it's probably not something I'd pick when choosing from several alternatives.

Hi all! After a bit of a seasonal hiatus coupled with a few tenacious chest colds I'm now "back" of sorts. First update this year is the above Punch Petit Coronations that I actually smoked in October last year. Oh well. :D Tomorrow I'll add a Bolivar No. 3 I had the other day and then we'll see where we'll take it from there. :)

Bolivar Tubos No. 3 (34 x 125, Aluminium Tube, Small Panetela)

Avg price: $6.47
Price ratio: 28
Did I like it: In part
Will I buy it: No
At first:
Rich tobacco, coffee and almondy.

Later on:
Leather, rich sweetness and vanilla.
cnc_bolivar_tubos_no3.jpg
In conclusion:
Very rich and dense flavours. A bit too much for me, I prefer lighter bodied cigars. No bite, nothing rough about it - just very flavourful. I quite enjoyed the vitola. If you would ask for a small cigar with some oomph to it, I'd recommend this.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just discovered this thread....thanks for the reviews.....I also started following you on IG ok.gif

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 8/14/2016 at 0:24 AM, miurajus said:

Thanks for the great thread.  Hope to see another review one day!

It's been a while, but I'm going to pick this up again. Thanks for the encouragement above!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, phreedh said:

It's been a while, but I'm going to pick this up again. Thanks for the encouragement above!

Looking forward to it!

ps. kul att se en annan svensk här. Brukar röra mig söderut när jag är hemma på besök (Halmstad) så vem vet, kanske har stött på dig i någon av affärerna! ds.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2015 at 8:27 AM, phreedh said:

Don't feel sorry for my taste buds. Since I started this thread I've had Cohiba BHK 54s, a HdM DC and several other premium cigars outside of the scope of this thread. :D Add to that, I actually like the JLP flavours. Not the Quinteros so much...

I've had the Palmas Extra and I'm a sucker for HdM in general. Didn't manage to take any notes though so will have to revisit at a later date. =)

Regarding the HU Majestics, I haven't tried it. I do like Upmann (such as the HC or Noellas) and I enjoyed the Epicures I tried. I disagreed with nothing but the format. =)

The upside of me trucking through the JLP and Quinteros is that I don't have many shortfiller left to try. Here's what I've got in the stash for this thread, so far:

Bolivar No 3

H. Upmann Coronas Junior
H. Upmann Coronas Major
Jose L. Piedra Cazadores
La Flor de Cano Petit Coronas
La Flor de Cano Selectos
Partagás Super Partagás
Por Larrañaga Montecarlo
Punch Coronations
Punch Petit Coronations
Romeo Y Julieta Romeo No.2
San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe

Loving this thread! Thanks for your efforts. Looking forward to your reviews of the above.