Whynter or Newair pre fab frigadors

ralphie48

I currently have 2 desktop 100ct humidors and they are way filled up. I want to buy more cigars and am pressed for space! I am looking for soemthing simple to store full boxes in that can be setup relativley easy, based on research i am in between either the Whynter or newair (pre fab with cedar shelves already installed), looking at reviews on auction sites and other stores, they seem pretty good. but many of these reviews are from people who may not use them much, or are reviewing them a week after having them. Does anyone own any of these units for some time and have any good/bad experiences/suggestions? I am looking to pull the trigger on one of these today, just want to make sure im making the right move.

I would probably set them up with heartfelt beads

I researched the heck out of wineadors before making a decision. I ended up with the larger Whynter wineador. The reviews I read seemed to be better than the NewAir. After seasoning & adding 65 heartfelt beads it took a couple of weeks to fully aclimate & for the humidity to stay steady. Now it has remained at 66 for months. Very happy with it. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have been researching those myself and have already decided to get the Whynter. Now I have to put in the OT so I can buy it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I have a Whytner as well. The only downside is the shelving layout is not great for SLBS, I've already removed 1 drawer and 2 shelves to properly hold my boxes. If they could make it have more shelving configurations it would be ideal. But as far as quality and consistency, they are great. It is also a lot less then some desktop humis I was looking at without the benefit of cooling and the capacity it can hold. I found mine for about $330.

I ordered the whytner on Amazon along with 2 digital rh/temp meters with high and low records and 65 rh heartfelt beads. Can't wait to start filling it up with boxes from the 24:24

With any luck this thing will be running in 2 weeks better start ordering some boxes now

• 1 month later...

I've had my Whynter CHC-251since November of last year. I filled that baby up and initially everything was rock solid but then ambient temperatures began to rise as summer approached and things turned bad. My summers average 99deg F so keeping the house at 78F is as low as I can go without going broke on energy costs.

With the cooler constantly running air flow is huge and I needed to change my setup. I yanked two shelves, put the drawers in the bottom slots, spread beads throughout and still was having problems. I finally used the bottom of a cigar box, with a 4"x4" hole centered, mounted over the fan/cooler to route the air flow around my boxes. This has made all the difference in this last month of summer and now temp and RH are both at 65 with little fluctuation.

Figured I'd share cause man was I going crazy trying to stabilize this thing.

• Like 2

Forgot to mention I also have a sheet of cedar attached so the chilled air doesn't dump straight into the drawers. I've had more boxes in there and will again and it seems to work if there is adequate spacing on the sides and an opening in the center for the fan intake. Second picture pulled the shelf for a better view. Also disregard hygrometer that's from the door being open for photos.

post-24934-0-45682900-1442440266_thumb.j

post-24934-0-61977500-1442440279_thumb.j

I've had my Whynter CHC-251since November of last year. I filled that baby up and initially everything was rock solid but then ambient temperatures began to rise as summer approached and things turned bad. My summers average 99deg F so keeping the house at 78F is as low as I can go without going broke on energy costs.

With the cooler constantly running air flow is huge and I needed to change my setup. I yanked two shelves, put the drawers in the bottom slots, spread beads throughout and still was having problems. I finally used the bottom of a cigar box, with a 4"x4" hole centered, mounted over the fan/cooler to route the air flow around my boxes. This has made all the difference in this last month of summer and now temp and RH are both at 65 with little fluctuation.

Figured I'd share cause man was I going crazy trying to stabilize this thing.

How are you doing with condesation? I am in a similar ambient temperature to what you described (Louisiana) and i am getting tons on condesation in the bottom because I plugged the drain hole.

The whynter has thermal electric cooling with a plugged drain standard.(Far as I understand) Humidor hasn't been packed very full and I've had two weeks over the last month or so with outdoor temps at or above 100F with ambient temps around 77-80f. Having said that, condensation has been at a minimum and Rh very stable. At the back of the humi on the bottom I have 1/2 lb of 65RH beads to catch excess humidity. I also have another 3/4lbs of 65RH beads spread between drawers and shelves. Not sure what is doing the trick to limit condensation but It's working like a charm for now. If I had to guess I'd say the biggest help is having adequate air flow. I have a couple more SLBs coming so I'll monitor to see how it goes as I keep adding boxes.

• 3 months later...

I have one seems to be working fine, just recently had a build up of condensation on the bottom, It could be from the heat lately of just that I have filled it to the max.

Not sure to be honest seems like my fan is on all the time .

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seriously tempted to pull the trigger on a Whynter. Can't beat shipping from prime. I was looking at a small cabinet or tower, but I could get two Whynter for the price of a small tower with freight charges.

• 2 months later...

Forgot to mention I also have a sheet of cedar attached so the chilled air doesn't dump straight into the drawers. I've had more boxes in there and will again and it seems to work if there is adequate spacing on the sides and an opening in the center for the fan intake. Second picture pulled the shelf for a better view. Also disregard hygrometer that's from the door being open for photos.

This one Dave.

• 3 months later...

I just bought the newair 300 prefab. 

The temp control has been great!  Holding at 70* F, ambient room temps around 76 F.

using xicar fluid with sponges until my beads come in, holding around 60%  RH  (in flux of course)!

Waiting on HF beads to come in. 

Im researching an internal fan source. 

I have been using the remote wireless temp/RH unit some gents have used on this site and it has been really off. I'm going to return it or replace it. 

• 4 weeks later...

On 9/16/2015 at 4:53 PM, Bennettjohnl said:

Forgot to mention I also have a sheet of cedar attached so the chilled air doesn't dump straight into the drawers.

Could you show where the sheet of cedar is attached please? I am considering purchasing the Whynter  CWC-351DD (half frigador half wine cooler) but it's maximum temp in 66F. Idk if that's too cool or if should be good enough. Also trying to figure out how to make it work perfectly with as little tweaks as possible (I like my humidity around 70%)

Here is a look at walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whynter-16-Bottel-Dual-Zone-Freestanding-Wine-Refrigerators/52399700?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3&adid=22222222227040410781&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=87873030410&wl4=pla-203956708610&wl5=9021740&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8453308&wl11=online&wl12=52399700&wl13=&veh=sem#about

I have a newair 280e wineador with 2lbs of HF 65% beads in it. It's been working well for me for over a year now. I don't have any of the custom drawers or anything, just stash my boxes in there.