Video Review - Bolivar Corona Gigantes AGED (FPG NISL) 20 years of age.

Ferrero

Ha! Wonderful entertainment as always boys!

I've never been able to let a new box of BCG live out the year, let alone age it for 20. Meanwhile, I've never enjoyed a BRC of any age! Go figure! New BCG, at least those picked by Rob, seem to be eminently smokeable young; only showing their youth in the final third as Ken describes. I'll have to order two or three boxes next time and see if I can get one past the 5 year mark at least. :cigar:

Barracuda on an 8wt??? :o Amazing!

I agree with Ken in the sense that a good aged CC is, for a lack of better term, one dimensional. But that one dimension is a well rounded smoothness that is almost indescribable. That pure tobacco flavor that leans towards no single adjective. They tend to be medium bodied and remain that way from tip to tip. Again, as Ken mentioned, they're not inclined to heat up towards the end of it's life.

Quite frankly, it's all the things I miss in CC in the last 18-20 years. To me, they are pure joy...because that's how I was broken-in to cigar smoking. There was a time when you would experience this quite often from the late 60s to the mid to late 80s with a few choice boxes you would receive. It was hit or miss mind you...but you were seldom disappointed as was common years later.

When you smoke as many cigars as I have over the years, that unmistakable flavor of a well aged CC snaps your palette back in a rush the moment you take those first few puffs. Like your fist love, you never forget it.

Great job on the porch fellas...and great gesture on your part Bill. You are truly 'The Man'.

• Like 1

I agree with Ken in the sense that a good aged CC is, for a lack of better term, one dimensional. But that one dimension is a well rounded smoothness that is almost indescribable. That pure tobacco flavor that leans towards no single adjective. They tend to be medium bodied and remain that way from tip to tip. Again, as Ken mentioned, they're not inclined to heat up towards the end of it's life.

Quite frankly, it's all the things I miss in CC in the last 18-20 years. To me, they are pure joy...because that's how I was broken-in to cigar smoking. There was a time when you would experience this quite often from the late 60s to the mid to late 80s with a few choice boxes you would receive. It was hit or miss mind you...but you were seldom disappointed as was common years later.

When you smoke as many cigars as I have over the years, that unmistakable flavor of a well aged CC snaps your palette back in a rush the moment you take those first few puffs. Like your fist love, you never forget it.

Great job on the porch fellas...and great gesture on your part Bill. You are truly 'The Man'.

Gary, great comments, it's obvious that you know what you are talking about... and thank you for the complement my friend!

Gary, great comments, it's obvious that you know what you are talking about... and thank you for the complement my friend!

one of the problems of forums (i speak from the experience of this one only as i don't bother with any others) is that everyone goes under concocted names - except of course, me, as i had no idea when i signed up that one did that. and a bit late to change.

so i am assuming, from the comments, we have located bill.

incredibly generous thing to do. very much appreciated. hopefully we'll see you out this way (balcony or verandah - never porch) soon and we can share some cigars and drinks this end.

On behalf of our forum, I'd also like to thank you Bill for this gracious gesture. I appreciate the opportunity for Ken and Rob to review an aged cigar and discuss its qualities.

I am curious to know, Ken and Rob, I wonder if you found that the distinctive Bolivar 'earthiness' had mellowed and whether you picked up a tangy flavour throughout instead? To get notes of chocolate and honeycomb into the last third is sensational, and for it to still be cool and not heat up or become bitter/tarry at the end, is exactly what you'd like from an aged cigar.

As always, another great review. Nice work guys.

Being so new to the hobby I've never had the pleasure of smoking an aged cigar. Looking forward to the day though and hopefully by the time I do my palate will be able to truly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one of the problems of forums (i speak from the experience of this one only as i don't bother with any others) is that everyone goes under concocted names - except of course, me, as i had no idea when i signed up that one did that. and a bit late to change.

so i am assuming, from the comments, we have located bill.

incredibly generous thing to do. very much appreciated. hopefully we'll see you out this way (balcony or verandah - never porch) soon and we can share some cigars and drinks this end.

Ken, thank you for the kind words, and the invitation! I will be happy to take my shoes off to visit you...

Still waiting on the picture of Barry.

Bill

I am curious to know, Ken and Rob, I wonder if you found that the distinctive Bolivar 'earthiness' had mellowed and whether you picked up a tangy flavour throughout instead? To get notes of chocolate and honeycomb into the last third is sensational, and for it to still be cool and not heat up or become bitter/tarry at the end, is exactly what you'd like from an aged cigar.

The ending of the cigar only showed that it had a few years (or more) left in it. There was the Boli earthiness....but just outshone by the subtle notes of cream, cocoa. Gorgeous.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great review and valuable information for me.

I have a few old cigars, and have smoked a few old ones, and for the most part really enjoy them.

I have been purchasing cigars to let them rest, and I don't smoke too much, so will be successful at aging for that reason alone.

When smoking a large cigar, I enjoy how it changes as it is smoked, with new or enhanced flavors from start to finish.

Is this diminished in an aged cigar? Are there fewer changes, or just more subtle?

Appreciate your thoughts.