Video Review - Bolivar Corona Gigantes AGED (FPG NISL) 20 years of age.

Ferrero

Great review and valuable information for me.

I have a few old cigars, and have smoked a few old ones, and for the most part really enjoy them.

I have been purchasing cigars to let them rest, and I don't smoke too much, so will be successful at aging for that reason alone.

When smoking a large cigar, I enjoy how it changes as it is smoked, with new or enhanced flavors from start to finish.

Is this diminished in an aged cigar? Are there fewer changes, or just more subtle?

Appreciate your thoughts.

This is an excellent question, and one that does not have a simple answer... A lot depends on how old is the cigar, how well it was stored, the brand, the type of tobacco used, the quality of the rolling, if/how long it was dryboxed before smoking, your environment (hot, cold, humid or dry) and more... For example, recently I smoked a Hoyo DC from 1985. I purchased this box in 1995 from a known source that had it perfectly stored, kept it sealed, and stored it myself at 68/68 for the last 20 years... It was one of the best cigars I have ever smoked, complex, creamy and smooth, changing the flavor profile every inch or so... Contrast that with a 25 year old Hoyo DC, that a friend gifted me, that was obviously not stored properly, and sat in his singles drawer for many years... Compared to the previous cigar, it was very bland, dry, and had little or no complexity to it... It was still enjoyable to smoke, because it had that "old tobacco" taste to it, but it certainly could have been much better if stored properly.

This BCG that Rob and Ken smoked was from a box that I purchased 1 year after it was rolled, and although it was perfectly stored, I sampled them every few years from about 15 years ago... Because they did not have the "cigar on cigar" environment, and have the oils from the cigars next to them to "mingle", they had less complexity. They were obviously still great cigars, but could have been even better if it was an intact box, and even better if it was sealed this whole time.. I recently sent them one of the aforementioned Hoyos to sample, and hopefully they won't take too long to smoke them, as I am curious to see what they think about them.

As complex as this question is, the answer is obviously equally complex, and I am sure others will have even better input concerning this...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This is an excellent question, and one that does not have a simple answer... A lot depends on how old is the cigar, how well it was stored, the brand, the type of tobacco used, the quality of the rolling, if/how long it was dryboxed before smoking, your environment (hot, cold, humid or dry) and more... For example, recently I smoked a Hoyo DC from 1985. I purchased this box in 1995 from a known source that had it perfectly stored, kept it sealed, and stored it myself at 68/68 for the last 20 years... It was one of the best cigars I have ever smoked, complex, creamy and smooth, changing the flavor profile every inch or so... Contrast that with a 25 year old Hoyo DC, that a friend gifted me, that was obviously not stored properly, and sat in his singles drawer for many years... Compared to the previous cigar, it was very bland, dry, and had little or no complexity to it... It was still enjoyable to smoke, because it had that "old tobacco" taste to it, but it certainly could have been much better if stored properly.

This BCG that Rob and Ken smoked was from a box that I purchased 1 year after it was rolled, and although it was perfectly stored, I sampled them every few years from about 15 years ago... Because they did not have the "cigar on cigar" environment, and have the oils from the cigars next to them to "mingle", they had less complexity. They were obviously still great cigars, but could have been even better if it was an intact box, and even better if it was sealed this whole time.. I recently sent them one of the aforementioned Hoyos to sample, and hopefully they won't take too long to smoke them, as I am curious to see what they think about them.

As complex as this question is, the answer is obviously equally complex, and I am sure others will have even better input concerning this...

This is a great comment, and one reason why the number of boxes I've purchased in the last few years I have done my best to keep hands off - I would rather they age for 10-15 yrs as a full box, than to slowly dip in over the years because I'm curious. Of course - the best way is to buy two boxes so you can do both - but that's not always economically feasible LOL!