a must not miss coffee

i'm doing reviews for a column and including a bit on coffee.

have just sampled merlo's proposed 'bean of the month' for december (so you might have to wait a bit). one of the most delicious enjoyable coffees i can recall. not a blockbuster style but elegant and subtle. from Victor Fajardo's small farm, ‘Lucitania’, in the Huila Department in Columbia. called the "Cup of Excellence, 2015 – Columbian Winner”.

just brilliant.

• Like 4

How many sugars and how much milk do you recommend ?? nyah.gif

Cheers for the heads up! I like Columbian coffee! drool.gifcoffee.gif

Any idea where one would procure this particular one from?

EDIT: Ohh never mind, google is my friend :)

I'd like to hear about member's preferred brewing methods. When it comes to the beans itself I just like to find whatever's roasted locally (whatever's freshest), but good brewing methods is where I'm always stumped. French Press is a go to of course, but I like trying a moka pot for cafe cubanos and cafe con leches with a cigar - tends to come out a little too burnt tasting though :/

After trying many different methods, I think that French Press gives the best results for a standard cup of coffee.

Espresso machine if I want a small strong coffee.

Nice!

See if you can get Dean to organise some for those interstate people attending Havanathon at the end of October. I'll owe you one!

coffee quotes

I’d rather take coffee than compliments just now. ― from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Coffee is a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to your older self. ― Thud! by Terry Pratchett. Recommended by DMU Bookshop

I went out the kitchen to make coffee – yards of coffee. Rich, strong, bitter, boiling hot, ruthless, depraved. The life blood of tired men. ― from The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

For I have known them all already, known them all:

Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. ― from The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by TS Eliot. Recommended by Bharathy Singaravel

She poured the coffee, which was so strong it practically snarled as it came out of the pot, and then sat down herself, taking the small cat on to her knee. ― from The L-Shaped Room by Lynne Reid Banks. Recommended by MrsC

Good. Coffee is good for you. It’s the caffeine in it. Caffeine, we are here. Caffeine puts a man on her horse and a woman in his grave. ― from The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

The fresh smell of coffee soon wafted through the apartment, the smell that separates night from day.― from Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami

‘Well, one can die after all: it is but dying; and in the next world, thank God! there is no drinking of coffee, and consequently no – waiting for it.’ Sometimes he would rise from his chair, open the door, and cry out with a feeble querulousness – ‘Coffee! coffee!’ ― from Narrative and Miscellaneous Papers by Thomas De Quincey [about Immanuel Kant]

That’s something that annoys the hell out of me – I mean if somebody says the coffee’s all ready and it isn’t. – from The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger.

I'd like to hear about member's preferred brewing methods. When it comes to the beans itself I just like to find whatever's roasted locally (whatever's freshest), but good brewing methods is where I'm always stumped. French Press is a go to of course, but I like trying a moka pot for cafe cubanos and cafe con leches with a cigar - tends to come out a little too burnt tasting though :/

Try this with your moka pot: start with hot water in the bottom, low heat, pull from heat once steady stream is pouring out. You can even wrap a cold wet towel around the bottom to stop the brew faster. I get the best flavor from moka pot this way. Never burnt tasting.
  • Like 1

To add to Ken's coffee quotes:

Young Boy with Coffee: Excuse me, I happened to be passing, and I thought you might like some coffee.

Little Girl: Oh, that's very nice of you, thank you. Won't you sit down?

Young Boy with Coffee: Cream?

Little Girl: No, thank you, I take it black, like my men.

Flying High! (1980)

lol3.gif

Try this with your moka pot: start with hot water in the bottom, low heat, pull from heat once steady stream is pouring out. You can even wrap a cold wet towel around the bottom to stop the brew faster. I get the best flavor from moka pot this way. Never burnt tasting.

Excellent suggestion. I've tried variations of this and I DO like the flavor but it tends to yield less coffee. Guess I gotta experiment with it more

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

To add to Ken's coffee quotes:

Young Boy with Coffee: Excuse me, I happened to be passing, and I thought you might like some coffee.

Little Girl: Oh, that's very nice of you, thank you. Won't you sit down?

Young Boy with Coffee: Cream?

Little Girl: No, thank you, I take it black, like my men.

Flying High! (1980)

lol3.gif

just when i thought we could not get any classier!

but it is a great film (for our american brethren, i believe that the film you might know as 'airplane', is called 'flying high' here.

no idea why. but i prefer that name.

just when i thought we could not get any classier!

but it is a great film (for our american brethren, i believe that the film you might know as 'airplane', is called 'flying high' here.

no idea why. but i prefer that name.

If it was called Airplane here the average Aussie would go huh what .....Flying High.... that movie was sick braaaaa ..yeah nar

Best coffee I have ever had, besides numerous Merlo's, and a couple little numbers here and there on holidays in Italy, and also this one inebriated evening at Pancake Manor back in 1997, was, the percolated coffee served at breakfast at the Hotel St Moritz in Queenstown, New Zealand a little over 5 years ago. I class it as one of my Top 10 food moments of all time. Was ridiculous.

I roast my own coffee at home and occasionally will sell it in small batches. I prefer to use the pour-over method for brewing most of my cups. I brew by weight (of both coffee and water), so I can guarantee that every cup I make will taste exactly the same.

French press is very nice if you like a more grittier coffee, or to bring out a full-bodied coffee--something in the mediumish levels--but I prefer light roasts.

Never got the hang of the french press. It reqyires a lot of grinds. I like a straight drip coffee maker with a carafe to keep it fresh.

I roast coffee and similar to most things the homemade taste is what i love. Like the difference between a machine made cigar and a hand rolled, if we need a cigar analogy.

Quote:

A mans intelect is directly related to the quality of the coffee he drinks.

-some smart dude from a long time ago said that but i cant remember who. I must need a cup of coffee.