Thoughts on the Ramon Allones Club Allones EL 2015?

5 hours ago, ironpeddler said:

Well gentlemen, it's been over a year now and was wondering if these have calmed down a bit more to the point of enjoyment. The one I was gifted was brutal and unsmokeable. 

One of my favorite cigars and pretty consistent, but I generally need strong flavours to get much out of a cigar. And these are very intense. If they don't suit your palate, then that probably hasn't changed in a year. Maybe in 5+ years they'll mellow out for you?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Recently received some of these and the German 898. Smoked a couple of each. Actually both examples today back to back. The Club Allones comes out of the gate with some great aromas and complexity a

Here is my review. Hope it helps... https://thedirtyashes.wordpress.com/2015/11/07/2015-edicion-limitada-ramon-allones-club-allones/

fruity hammer in a velvet glove. Glove slightly worn...more hammer right now

Love the RACA, tons of flavor with a bit of a punch.  I've only had one Superiores and it was much more mellow, it reminded me of something with age on it.  I give the Club Allones a clear win in a head to head match up...my two cents.

Posted this on daily smokes. Had this May 7. Don't remember the box code. Smoked great. Med to full body. They have smoothed out since last year. A little chocolate, a little fruit. Increadable construction, razor sharp burn. I would be happy to smoke them all now, but will develop wonderfully in the next few years. 92-93 for me right now.

IMG_6379.JPG

IMG_6380.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Smoking my first one right now.  

Hmm....

Love the size.  

Its quite the stretch for me to notice any typical RA flavors.  POSSIBLY i get something here and there.  

Probably wont go back to these for another 6 months and try again. 

Typical LE fail for my palate, lol. 

Honesty wish i had lit up a RASS instead. 

• Like 2

Smoking my first one right now.  

Hmm....

Love the size.  

Its quite the stretch for me to notice any typical RA flavors.  POSSIBLY i get something here and there.  

Probably wont go back to these for another 6 months and try again. 

Typical LE fail for my palate, lol. 

Honesty wish i had lit up a RASS instead. 

Really? I just love these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

i think maduro wrappers just do not agree with me

But these aren't maduros in the true sense although they are a darker, 2 year aged wrapper. Give em a bit more time, like you said above, and see if they've settled more into your zone. I had one of the much vaunted Upmann Mag 56s last week and it was bloody awful!

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

• Like 1

On 14 April 2016 at 9:32 PM, Orion21 said:

I smoked one a month ago. I bought the box from Rob and let it sit for a month before trying my first on a trip. Smoking that one convinced me that I shouldn't even look in their direction for at least another 6-12 months. This specific cigar was so dark, tannic and harsh that it wasn't enjoyable to smoke. It was brutal to be honest, but I am convinced it has everything it needs to be great. My sample just needed a lot more time to come together.

I had a similar harsh experience with this cigar. 

Must be some inconsistency in their production as others rate them highly 

The one sample I've had was interesting. Good strength and flavorful, but not sure what flavors. A bit muddled with very little RA character. Nothing unpleasant, no harshness--just a cigar that's not sure what it wants to be. But a cigar that may have a ton of potential.

Now, I've had only one of these, and I've heard some just love them, so maybe there's some inconsistency among boxes on these. Either way, a fairly strong cigar with present but muddled flavors always has the potential to become a classic. I think this one could reach mid-to-high-90s at some point in its life. Might take 15-20 years but it could get there. Might take a lot less. These can be found pretty reasonably priced and in 10s and I love the vitola. Everyone should have a box of these sitting for the long haul. 

Tried the second from the box - haven't had one in a year. First third was muddled... a bit like fruitcake and some plum trying to make itself known. Definitely sensed a little Ramon Allones, but none of the honey note I adore in the RASS. Has definitely become more smooth. Burn was slow due to thick EL wrapper, but steady with one touch up applied.

Second third switched and was like cocoa/chocolate with some cream on top. Reminded me of the chocolate cake notes in the better RyJ Churchills I've had.

Last third saw muddled plum cake join the cocoa with a little youth. Strength got fairly full for a Havana - felt it in my stomach and a few minutes of head swim.

All in all, they seem blended to age well, like the RA Extras. Not very RA, but a nice change of pace. Should be excellent at 5-7 years. I won't touch one until Fall/Winter 2018 as I only have the 8 left and have been stocking RASS and RASCC instead.

• 4 years later...
On 6/25/2017 at 6:53 AM, earthson said:

Tried the second from the box - haven't had one in a year. First third was muddled... a bit like fruitcake and some plum trying to make itself known. Definitely sensed a little Ramon Allones, but none of the honey note I adore in the RASS. Has definitely become more smooth. Burn was slow due to thick EL wrapper, but steady with one touch up applied.

Second third switched and was like cocoa/chocolate with some cream on top. Reminded me of the chocolate cake notes in the better RyJ Churchills I've had.

Last third saw muddled plum cake join the cocoa with a little youth. Strength got fairly full for a Havana - felt it in my stomach and a few minutes of head swim.

All in all, they seem blended to age well, like the RA Extras. Not very RA, but a nice change of pace. Should be excellent at 5-7 years. I won't touch one until Fall/Winter 2018 as I only have the 8 left and have been stocking RASS and RASCC instead.

Enjoying the end of a RACA EL right now.  (Today's date:  21 Oct 2021)

Despite this cigar's age statement, I can't help but thinking that it could benefit from a few more years of rest to realize its true potential.  

-- Does anyone else feel that is the case?  I know the enjoyment of a cigar is all personal, ...but for me this wonderful cigar tastes like it's best years are at least a few more years away.  

From others' postings, I've always been keen to try out flavors no matter what.  ...But this RA seems to promise greatness ...and then deliver just very good complexity, even after 5 years.  (Happy to wait for the best, but would welcome opinion on either side.)  

Thanks! - Cliff

Glass Half Full

By coincidence, I am about a third into one right now. In general I’ve always enjoyed these but do think a couple more years will probably do more good than harm. At that point we’d know if we could go a couple more, and so on. 

This particular one has a firm draw but not tight. Lots of smoke output and a little more leather with less stewed fruit than normal.  Still have a long way to go so I’ll post up later in daily smoke. 

• Thanks 1

What’s that ole Forest Gump line....Cuban cigars this century are like a box of chocolates....

My experience with this cigar having been thru a few boxes with a few to go....factory codes LAU MEG and OPG all 15. When young these cigars were delicious.....rich, sweet, fruitcake bombs...everything I want from RA. The last couple I’ve smoked lately were a little overpowering. I consider EL cigars after dinner cigars and I didn’t smoke the last couple after dinner......my mistake! They’ve lost some sweetness but now have bittersweet chocolate with the fruitcake. These cigars have legs for days but deserve some rum, bourbon, Port or something sweet to make these cigars really sing.

• Like 2