Cuba and lighters

Ryan

I forgot to mention this after my last trip. On the way out of Havana airport, security were going through every carry on bag and confiscating every lighter they could find. I lost 6. All cheapos. Hard flame or soft flame didn't matter. Everything. None of the shops airside were selling any either, they told us they were no longer allowed. I bummed a bic off an Austrian tourist who managed to get one through.

This was one week after the Paris attacks so may have been related.

Anyway, just a word of warning, don't travel to Havana with a lighter you'll be upset to lose. Or cutters for that matter.

Most of the hotel shops sell cheap lighters, from 2 cuc up to 15. At 15 you get a hard flame lighter with a little bottle of gas. A handy thing, gas can be hard to find in Cuba.

I forgot to mention this after my last trip. On the way out of Havana airport, security were going through every carry on bag and confiscating every lighter they could find. I lost 6. All cheapos. Hard flame or soft flame didn't matter. Everything. None of the shops airside were selling any either, they told us they were no longer allowed. I bummed a bic off an Austrian tourist who managed to get one through.

This was one week after the Paris attacks so may have been related.

Anyway, just a word of warning, don't travel to Havana with a lighter you'll be upset to lose. Or cutters for that matter.

Most of the hotel shops sell cheap lighters, from 2 cuc up to 15. At 15 you get a hard flame lighter with a little bottle of gas. A handy thing, gas can be hard to find in Cuba.

Good heads up!

But just to add - doesn't just hold for flights to/from Cuba! Better leave your Duponts and Dunhills at home when flying.

• Like 1

Ryan,

they are controling and confiscating lighters in la Habana airport since about two years.

Sometimes they don`t care about the lighters, sometimes they take all they can find.

and sometimes they are confiscating all the cuban dollars you have in your wallet!!!

The reason is that is not allowed to leave Cuba with cuban money!

Mostely they don`t care, sometimes they take all they can find.

regards

PC

Ryan,

they are controling and confiscating lighters in la Habana airport since about two years.

Sometimes they don`t care about the lighters, sometimes they take all they can find.

and sometimes they are confiscating all the cuban dollars you have in your wallet!!!

The reason is that is not allowed to leave Cuba with cuban money!

Mostely they don`t care, sometimes they take all they can find.

regards

PC

I know the rules "fluctuate" at Havana security. I usually get through with a torch lighter. This was the first time though that I noticed them looking for all lighters including soft flame and even matches. Also the first time that airside duty free shops had no lighters, even the "Cuba" and "Che" cheap bics.

Regarding money, I've been lucky I suppose, I've never had any confiscated, quite the opposite for me, I've had people at the airport, in a roundabout way, refuse money..

I've heard all kinds of stories though. And I'd believe them. I could tell a few myself.

I know the rules "fluctuate" at Havana security. I usually get through with a torch lighter. This was the first time though that I noticed them looking for all lighters including soft flame and even matches. Also the first time that airside duty free shops had no lighters, even the "Cuba" and "Che" cheap bics.

Regarding money, I've been lucky I suppose, I've never had any confiscated, quite the opposite for me, I've had people at the airport, in a roundabout way, refuse money..

I've heard all kinds of stories though. And I'd believe them. I could tell a few myself.

Those kinds of stories make me really nervous about going..

In ANY international flight I leave my lighters at home and buy anything I can find during the trip.

It's not worth the worry about having this kind of sh*t.

And when going back home I have tons of cigars. The last thing I need is someone checking my luggage.

so are soft flame lighters, aka BIC"s or what have you easy to find on the island? i'm flying out to HAV on friday, and i read with air transat that I can bring a lighter on my flight in a plastic bag...

so are soft flame lighters, aka BIC"s or what have you easy to find on the island? i'm flying out to HAV on friday, and i read with air transat that I can bring a lighter on my flight in a plastic bag...

I would say you can easily find them in Cigar stores. 1-2 Cucs "I love cuba" lighters.

Go to the Habana Libre hotel LCDH. They'll have a range of lighters for sale. Starting at 2 cucs. Bring a box of cigar matches or fire lighter matches as a back up.

I bring 2 empty torch lighters with me. I buy them cheap at about 2.50 euro each from Hong Kong. I fill them up there and leave them after me at the end of the trip. Bar staff love them. I swap them for a beer on the last night.

I would say you can easily find them in Cigar stores. 1-2 Cucs "I love cuba" lighters.

Go to the Habana Libre hotel LCDH. They'll have a range of lighters for sale. Starting at 2 cucs. Bring a box of cigar matches or fire lighter matches as a back up.

I bring 2 empty torch lighters with me. I buy them cheap at about 2.50 euro each from Hong Kong. I fill them up there and leave them after me at the end of the trip. Bar staff love them. I swap them for a beer on the last night.

Thanks for the Info guys. Appriciate the help.

Those kinds of stories make me really nervous about going..

Don't be nervous. Cuba is a brilliant experience. You'll have days where every corner you turn you'll see something you never thought you'd see in your lifetime. It's hard to explain but unlike any country I've ever been to.

All the Cuba security stories I have are funny. There were a couple of odd moments but nothing bad.

It's not a country for the kind of tourist who expects everything spotless and on time. If you're prepared to go with the flow a bit, you'll have a blast.

• Like 1

I may be wrong but you can bring lighters with you on International flights but they have to

be empty. I go to Asia and Europe once a year and I think that is the rule. Also

I don't think lighters are allowed in your carry-on bags but ok to have them in your

check-in bags but again no fuel in them. About Cuba I have not been there yet

but would think the said rules apply just as if flying to and from anywhere else

in the world. 9/11 made flying a big pain in the rear. I get stopped everytime (airport security)

because I have metal in my body and I trigger the alarm.

this is what air transat says about smoking material :

* Specific country restrictions may also apply.

• 1 lighter per passenger, packed in the allowable 1 plastic bag per passenger (due to liquid content).*
  • No lighters in checked baggage
  • 1 book of matches per passenger, carried only on your person
  • Electronic cigarettes: stowed unused in carry-on baggage at all times. Carriage in checked baggage is prohibited.*

this is what air transat says about smoking material :

* Specific country restrictions may also apply.

• 1 lighter per passenger, packed in the allowable 1 plastic bag per passenger (due to liquid content).*
  • No lighters in checked baggage
  • 1 book of matches per passenger, carried only on your person
  • Electronic cigarettes: stowed unused in carry-on baggage at all times. Carriage in checked baggage is prohibited.*

The one lighter you can carry on you or in your cabin baggage cannot be a torch lighter, otherwise, this matches with my experience leaving from US.

In China, no lighters whatsoever - checked or carry-on.

• Like 1

The one lighter you can carry on you or in your cabin baggage cannot be a torch lighter, otherwise, this matches with my experience leaving from US.

In China, no lighters whatsoever - checked or carry-on.

yeah thats what I gathered from that, so im assuming brigning a bic soft flame would not be an issue then...

yeah thats what I gathered from that, so im assuming brigning a bic soft flame would not be an issue then...

Yup.

Good to see you post more again!

Yup.

Good to see you post more again!

thanks claus. im always on the forums, but I post when i have something relevant to say lol.

I was thinking of getting a IRODA micro jet lighter, is it worth it to buy given i can seperate the fuel cell from the lighter? I was thinking of just packing the lighter part serperated in my checked luggage and the fuel cell in a platic bag on my carry on as air transat stipulates that is ok

Guys I promise you I'm not making this up. Anything that even looked like a lighter, Jose Marti security were taking it in November.

As I said, don't bring a lighter out of Cuba in your carry-on that you might be upset to lose. There's no arguing with them over it. Other stuff maybe, lighters no.

I was thinking of getting a IRODA micro jet lighter, is it worth it to buy given i can seperate the fuel cell from the lighter? I was thinking of just packing the lighter part serperated in my checked luggage and the fuel cell in a platic bag on my carry on as air transat stipulates that is ok

Empty Iroda in your check in, probably fine.

Why would anyone want to leave Cuba with CUCs anyways, they're worthless everywhere else ;)

I always leave with a bit so when I go back I have some to get started without lining up at the currency exchange at the airport.