Water spots vs. mold

I have tried to research this as much as possible. I recently received some cigars and some have green or white dots on them that I think are water stains but I want to make sure. I have attached images. I currently have them in a ziplock bag in my tupperdor with my good smokes.

post-27547-0-14700300-1454436995_thumb.j

post-27547-0-05280000-1454437012_thumb.j

I'm with the others that the white spot is a water stain.

Green is probably a part of the wrapper that wasn't fully fermented during the aging process. Doesn't look good but it can happen.

• Like 2

Definitely not mold. Mold looks like white fuzzy spots that easily wipe off.

Edit: Deleting a previous comment where I thought green color was under fermentation. I've been told that, but also see quite a few other sources mention it's just water spots. I'm out since I'm not an expert...

Do the pale spots only happen before resale or can it be a sign of bad storage?

It has nothing to do with storage. The water spots occur when the leaf is still on the plant, and the green stains occur during the drying process just after harvest (in the casa de tabaco).

It has nothing to do with storage. The water spots occur when the leaf is still on the plant, and the green stains occur during the drying process just after harvest (in the casa de tabaco).

Agreed, think of candela wrappers. The green is maintained in the leaf when tobacco is dried at higher than usual temperature (hence faster), which fixes the chlorophyll and keeps the green colour intact. Spots like that probably occur when a thinner area of the leaf dries faster than the rest of the leaf. As far as I understand it, curing shouldn't change the colour enough for the green to disappear

Thanks so much everyone. I wanted to make sure, as I had never seen this in over 15 years of smoking Nicaraguan, Dominican and Honduran cigars.

This is just one of the many reasons I love Cuban cigars and can't stand noncubans. I've always had the experience that the green spots make for a great tasting cigar. I know it has no effect on flavor but it's just one of the many things that makes a Cuban cigar. I especially love when the green spots are very defined, "frogs eyes" they call them, and have heard that there are collectors in Hong Kong that request them and go nuts for cigars with "frogs eyes".