My ghetto humidors

Hi new here.

Amazing forum, amongst friends im known to be a serious cigar smoker/collector.

Here though ile call my stash a humble start.

I have divided my so called ghetto humidors in 2, one for everyday smokes / non cubans.

And one for more exclusive habanos / ageing humidor.

Enough talk some pictures ( sorry for the instagram filter:))

post-28875-0-55874100-1454461404_thumb.j

post-28875-0-22665800-1454461410_thumb.j

12512575_10153408394763946_7778222191551

12651271_10153408398408946_6701274364509

12592292_10153408401598946_5136508348980

Don't mind the boxes on the last pic, as i keep my dailys in no specific order or in neat boxes.

Currently 270 sticks total:

Long term humidor:

1 box Bolivar Super Coronas ( love these on the hunt for more)

2 boxes Partagas Sellecion Privada ( latest buy, very good LE imo)

1 box Partagas Maduro 1 ( blind buy, disappointing to say the least, still have some hope for the future)

5 boxes Partagas Salamones ( amazing to me)

1 box Partagas Culebras ( love this cigar, underrated!)

1 box RA club allones ( descent LE)

1 box Cohiba RS (smoked one, enjoyed it very much)

2 boxes BHK 52 ( the next best BHK imo, amazing in other words)

2 boxes BHK 54 ( the very best cigar i smoked)

1 box BHK 56 ( least favourite BHK, still lovely)

Short term humidor:

As you can see for yourself, some nice limted ones that couldn't fit above. And some utter crap.

Daily smokes:

Partagas D4 ( go to cigar)

Hdm Epicure Especial ( go to when in need of something mild)

Bolivar Belicoso (go to when needing a punch)

Cohiba Magicos ( go to when life is good, love the chocolaty flavor)

Singles:

Partagas P2 ( me no like this, to harsh on the pallet)

Cohiba Siglio IV ( gifted)

Non cubans:

Padron no9 ( love it!, the only non cuban brand i enjoy, and the 9 maduro is superb)

Padron no1 ( blind buy, i need to get rid of these, not to my taste at all!)

Padron 80th ( Amazing, heavy smoke)

Padron 45th ( As above)

Crap:

Cain ??? ( from my early days of testing non cubans, not nice, not horrible though)

Nub ??? ( better than the cain)

Oliva serie V ( this i can enjoy actually so not really crap)

Magna ??? ( total crap)

Carlos torrano ??? ( as above)

Finally some help please:).

I have these 2 humidors in my cellar, the winter is humid and cold in sweden, right now both of them are at : RH 73% Temp : 14.3 C

I wonder if its to high, they smoke well, also abit worried about the low temp.

I have 2 bovedas in each with RH 65% but they can't seem to get it under 73%, the room itself is at 76%.

• Like 3

I'd say that's a pretty nice collection! Appreciate the detailed inventory and commentary.

Let's see it in a few months sneaky.gif

Maybe try 60RH Bovedas. That or dry beads/kitty litter could help.

Lots of people use coolidors, not a ghetto.

If I were you I would try to buy a bigger one. Believe me, in some weeks/months you will not have space anymore.

I think Bovedas are not working and to change them for 62% packs will not be enough.

Try to find some other threads about Rh here in the forum, there are plenty of them.

In my opinion temp is ok if not going even lower.

I'd get rid of those types of storage tub and replace them with ones that have a silicon/rubber seal. Much easier to control the RH in a sealed environment, especially if the room's RH is 76%.

• Like 1

Like Fuzz said, those containers aren't really air tight at all. Next time you have the coin for a box of those 54's or 56's spend it on a couple wineadors or even some high quality coolidors. You'll end up providing your cigars with a much more STABLE environment. Right now they are just in boxes in your basement which is why you can't keep the RH down, you could fill the entire box with Boveda 62%s and a Hygrometer is still gunna read the ambient RH.

You've also alluded to temp swings from summer to winter, the Wineador/Coolidor solution really helps cut down on those swings as well. The Wineadors even more so because of the electric cooler along with the insulation. Over the long term fluctuating temps and RH will start to break down the cigar, especially the wrapper.

Check out some of these threads in the Humidor Tutorial Section, there is more info there than you'll have time to read.

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109201

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97049

• Like 1

It's your stogies bud. If you like the way they're smoking and aren't concerned about them then just stick with what you got. Don't let us guys convince you of something if you're content.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I love my coolidor 150qt beats buying a $3000 humidor and not having money for smokes ! good job spotlight.gif

Too many people nowadays just dont understand this concept.

• Like 1

Too many people nowadays just dont understand this concept.

That's true brother ! I am a po man ! lmao.gif Cant lie though every time I go and have a smoke with StogieLuver I drool at the sight of that Aristocrat Humidor sitting in his man cave!

That's true brother ! I am a po man ! lmao.gif Cant lie though every time I go and have a smoke with StogieLuver I drool at the sight of that Aristocrat Humidor sitting in his man cave!

Well I cant exactly claim to be po. I do however have my funds allocated in ways that dont allow me to buy a humidor as big as I am. Similar situation though irratebass has one of those big assed aristocrat humi's and 130 qt cooler humi. Guess I am lucky shooting sports are my first hobby/addiction and cigars my second

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love my coolidor 150qt beats buying a $3000 humidor and not having money for smokes ! good job :spotlight:

I don't think of it in raw $ terms, but in % investment terms. If -- hypothetically -- one has $20-30k in cigars intending to age them for long years, paying 10% of that cost to protect them with controlled temperature and RH can make some sense. OTOH, if you're not worried about temp and RH control beyond what a coolidor can provide, it's pointless.

Viva la coolidor!