Why I go to Malaysia

Fuzz

Those noodles look good from my carb-starved perspective.

What are prices like? I had butter crab in Singapore served at $30/kg I think, which was delicious and cheap, 8 years ago.

I am hopeless at cooking seafood in general.

Who uses tent poles to catch crabs?

Those noodles look good from my carb-starved perspective.

What are prices like? I had butter crab in Singapore served at $30/kg I think, which was delicious and cheap, 8 years ago.

I am hopeless at cooking seafood in general.

Who uses tent poles to catch crabs?

Prices have gone up a bit since they now have to charge GST. My favourite curry mee vendor in Ara Damansara has raised his prices. Used to get a bowl for RM5 a few years back, now I pay RM6.20... which is still a bargain. My breakfast of choice!

Not my pics, but the curry mee at Do Re Mi in Ara Damansara is fantastic! The guy at the stall has been there for as long as I can remember (at least 8 years). Can never get enough of it.

Seriously, I'm salivating at how good that looks!

Man, you're making me hungry!

When in KL/Singapore I always hunt out Nasi Lemak, Chicken rice, Bak Kut Teh, Roti Canai, Asam Laksa and either chili or black pepper crab.....great stuff pooped.gif

Hainan chicken rice in Singapore is a must! Had a version in Bangkok, from a restaurant that has been in business since the 1960's. To be honest, whilst it is quite nice, I prefer Malaysian or Singaporean versions of Hainan chicken rice.kaitonpratunam-stall2.jpg

15099432997_3ec1a7bafb_b.jpg

• Like 1

Another must for me in Malaysia is kopi peng. Malaysian kopi/coffee is made by roasting the beans in butter/palm oil margarine and sugar to give it a very distinctive taste.

DSC05995.JPG

There are many ways to order kopi:

kopi-chart.jpg

And maybe order some kaya toast to go with it.

kaya-toast.jpg

• Like 1

When I travel to Malaysia, I always say it is for business or visiting family, but honestly I go for the food! :lol3:

Claypot Chicken Rice

attachicon.gif20160223_142448.jpg

Nyonya Laksa

attachicon.gif20160223_201041.jpg

Would have posted a pic of a bowl of curry mee (my favourite :drool: ), but it was gone by the time I remembered to take a pic! :blush:

I was lucky to stop in KL for a few days a couple of years ago. Loved it. Had some great food on Jalan Alor (prob one of the most touristy spots?) and the standout was some stingray. Cooked very simply, but was to die for. Can't wait to get back - miss the smell of durian!

Jalan Alor is definitely a tourist spot. Plenty of hawker food 24/7. And there's plenty of shopping malls nearby (Sungei Wang, Lot 10, Low Yat, Plaza Imbi, Berjaya Time Square, Pavillion, KLCC is a bit of a walk).

Ah man this thread...

@Habana Mike - I make a good Bak Kuh Teh brother spotlight.gif

For all those in KL or will visit please check out Restoran Ahwa in Petaling Jaya for their Hokkien Black Mee - you won't get anything else like it! There's always going to be haters - I've been eating this stuff over the years everytime I head back to KL. It's quite out of the way from the tourist spots...

No ones mentioned Durian yet - like Marmite, I love it!! (only Malaysian durians mind you)