• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very old.... Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

and..... vintage... Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This just came in today. Orient Mako II USA.

Orient makes the prettiest, most accurate wristwatches for guys on a marevas budget. I have two and they punch way above their weight class.

image_zpskq7gpbqx.jpg

and this arrived in Friday's mail, straight from Tokyo. Haven't even adjusted the bracelet yet, so a stock photo will have to suffice.

WZ0061DV.jpg

• Like 2

Always loved the original Heuer Autavia. With the autaviacup.com finalized, looking forward to the reissue of the Mark 3 ref 2446. For now, enjoying a media and watch aficionado maligned but much loved (by me anyway) TAG Heuer Autavia CY2111.

09c9a8f3c436be243d6b1eea869185ea.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/21/2016 at 10:38 AM, rmill3r said:

I haven't been able to enjoy a cigar for a while now because I've been waiting over a month for a follow-up evaluation with my oral surgeon for a weird brown "patch" on my bottom lip. Thankfully, the surgeon is pretty confident that I just bite my lip a lot (which I do) and that the combustion from the cigars themselves just cause the skin to be dry, so I'm waiting for a re-evaluation and keeping my promise that I won't smoke in the meantime.

So, naturally, I've had to fill this void in my hobbies with yet another hobby....WATCHES!

My collection is very humble (and of the Japanese persuasion), but I'd like to see you all share your own watch collections if you will, or at least some of your favorites--even if it's one you're saving up for! I've really come to appreciate the intricacies and heritage in a lot of brands and their respective movements. But for the quality, integrity, and price point I was looking at, Seiko and Orient hit the mark for me across the board.

Orient Mako (blue)

This was my first watch. I was a little hesitant about getting a dive watch, as I'm not a diver, but many convinced me that they can still be fun/casual everyday kind of watches. Out my current collection, this is the one that I'm sort of considering getting rid of...but the way that blue dial shines in the sun just right keeps bringing me back eeeevery time!

TY0oHgQ.jpg

Orient Sun & Moon

This is pretty much the "wild card" of my collection. The closest thing you could call this watch is a dress watch, but even then the gimmick is that there is a "Sun & Moon" indicator (or "day & night" or "AM & PM"). I don't need a watch to tell me whether or not the sun is out, but I'll be damned if it isn't cool as hell. Plus, the detail on the face of the watch is surprisingly intricate for its price point. If you look at the date indicator there are a lot of layers to the face. Its gimmick is essentially pointless, but it's sure fun to look at!

tvFXGys.jpg

Bonus pretend casual "oops! you caught me with my hands in my pocket!" photo...

lttZkbE.jpg

Seiko SNK809

This wasn't my first watch, but for a lot of people on a budget this watch is one of the quintessential "entry level" automatic watches. At about a $50-$70 price point, this is the cornerstone of Seiko 5 with their five features: an automatic movement, day/date indicator displayed in a single window, water resistance (it's not much, but it's there), recessed crown at the 4 o'clock position (probably my least favorite feature, as it is so tiny and recessed that it's very difficult for me to adjust), and a "durable" case and bracelet (I actually changed the strap on mine, so that last feature is debatable). The pilot-type watch face is very easy to read, it has a red-tipped second hand that looks nice against the black face, a minimal amount of lume, and a surprisingly robust movement.

Mine has a particularly small scratch on the crystal which you can hardly see, so the guy who sold it to me basically gave it away for free, which I was extremely grateful for. It's also a rather small watch, but I find that to be a nice change of pace for my collection.

lzNA8XD.jpg

Seiko SKX007

Do you like the Submariner but nearly suffer a heart attack at the mere thought of the usual asking price? Well, so do I, and that's why I like the SKX007 so much. It has a similar feel to a Subby, but it retains all of its integrity by copying nothing and giving it its own unique Seiko spin. To be honest, I didn't like this watch at first...now it might be one of my favorites. It's so unique, tough and stylish all at the same time. It's cheap, and yet it's something to be proud of.

OnCi9PF.jpg

Bonus shot in the sun

mkXtArJ.jpg

Seiko SARB033

An affordable dress watch to end all affordable dress watches.

Modeled after their high-end Grand Seiko line, the SARB033 is made specifically for the Japanese domestic market, but it is fairly attainable with the nearly unlimited access the internet gives us today. Detractors will say that this watch is boring, or that it doesn't differentiate itself enough from a ton of other Seiko dress watches, but a careful eye will realize that this watch is subtle, understated, and incredibly classy.

This watch comes with Seiko's in-house 6R15 movement, which is robust and includes hacking, hand-winding, and a beefy 50-hour power reserve. I'd like to put it on a nice leather strap eventually, but for now I'm enjoying it on the oyster bracelet. Another great thing about this watch is its ability to dress up or down. With its simple dial, almost any bracelet or strap will work on it. Everything from plain leather, to textured leather, to perlon, to a bracelet, to NATO, it is surprisingly diverse!

BAPK3I4.jpg

Bonus shot with all black

0Va3nh8.jpg

Seiko SARB065 ("Cocktail Time")

Like the Orient Sun & Moon, this is sort of another wild card. Also made for the Japanese domestic market, this dress watch was designed by Shinobu Ishigaki, a famous bartender in Japan. He gave it a very 1920s/1930s art deco style with its incredible sunburst dial and subtle blue needle second hand. Being a fairly busy face, this watch needs simple/solid color straps in my opinion, so the stock shiny leather strap works well in my opinion. Like the SARB033, it comes with Seiko's 6R15 movement, so it includes hacking, hand-winding, and a 50-hour power reserve...all impressive and surprising features.

qWBcylm.jpg

Who knows what I will love next or fall out of love with in the future, but for now these are my top choices.

I'm interested in what you all have to share as well! What's in your collection? What is your "dream" watch? Hell, what is your least favorite watch? Feel free to share...

Beautiful watches, my friend!  I have an Orient Blue Ray which I wear most days.  Highly underrated watches.  That Sun & Moon is absolutely stunning.  Now I need to get one for myself! :D

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

One day :thinking:

Panerai-PAM-604-Radiomir-Firenze-3-Days-Acciaio-dial-detail-Perpetuelle-620x465.jpg

panerai-pam00604-detail-4.jpg

Once a Panerai man Pres, always a Panerai man.