New £200million Royal Navy Ship to be named "Boaty McBoatface"

I Love this...There's a new 200 million pound NERC science royal Navy ship which went to the internet for its new name. It went viral and now the leading contender; Boaty McBoatface.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/boaty-mcboatface-could-be-the-name-of-200m-research-vessel-after-public-vote-a6942551.html

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That is one good looking boat. I would name it the TheLiquidGator.party.gif

On a side note. I was on the Queen's boat in Charleston, South Carolina. The HMY Britannia. Beautiful boat. The galley was amazing.

The weather that day was extremely hot and muggy. Charleston in July is not a good place for the crew to drill. But, they had the crew drilling in full dress. Marching on the street in front of the boat and playing their instruments. My wife who is British felt bad for them. They were soaking wet from the humidity.

Well, that night after dinner we discovered this fine little British Pub. We walked in and there they were, the crew from the Britannia, all as drunk as a duck. We closed the bar with them at about 3am. They were scheduled to drill again in the morning and made us promise to be there to support them as we were now famous drinking mates. My wife said they can count on us.

We arrived in time to watch them march. We were extremely hung over. They were a mess too, but "carried on" as my wife put it. We all felt awful. I learned to keep my wife away from English sailors. You think i would have already know thatnyah.gif .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMY_Britannia

• Like 1

Sadly it's merchant Navy, not an RN ship, you'll scare nobody with "This is Warship Boaty McBoatface". The Navy likes much more aggressive names, like HMS Duncan...

Although as a matelot I'd love a Boaty McBoatface cap tally! It'd be great to go to Antarctica on that though, looks way more comfortable than the big grey bugger I was there with last time.

They did the same thing with voting for a new bridge across the Danube in Bratislava a few years ago. They cancelled the result when the winning name was overwhelmingly voted in as as the "Chuck Norris" bridge. Of course everyone still calls it this. A rare example of quality here in Eastern Europe.

• Like 1

LOL.... At least it's only a ship. We have people here in the U.S. that give their children goofy names like : TWINKLE TWINKIE TWILIGHT surprised.gif

I kid-you-not:

https://youtu.be/URkX8IhsDf8

• 11 months later...