Petit Edmundo Wrapper Color

jonescej

I did a few searches to make sure no one else had this question, so...

Take a look at these cigars. Both are Montecristo Petit Edmundos. The darker one I bought several months ago, while the lighter one I bought just recently from Rob.

post-27468-0-96372100-1460760719_thumb.j

I know there is some natural color variation even among the same brand and even the same vitola, but that strikes me as a very wide difference. It is even more striking in person. I have complete faith that the lighter colored cigar is legitimate, but I was wondering what people thought of the darker one. Its band is textured and gives every appearance of being legitimate, and I actually bought a box of 10 of those and the warranty seal checks out on HSA's website. I still have that box and again, it looks great and has all the components it needs to have. If I didn't have another markedly different cigar to compare it to, I would have no indication that this is a fake either. The construction of my PEs from several months ago was poor, with roughly half the box plugged, and several others of middling quality. I'd say I only had one or two decent cigars out of that batch, but they all had that very dark wrapper.

What do you think? Is this a common occurrence for wrappers to be that different, or did I get duped with a real box containing fake cigars?

I've noticed a lot of variation with Montecristo, too. I'm still getting a feel for things, but aside from having a sheen (requirement for any color), I do prefer the color of the leaf to be close to the band color. This might be an irrational or merely aesthetic preference, but that rule of thumb really makes me notice differences in color with this marca -- more than most others.

Is this a common occurrence for wrappers to be that different, or did I get duped with a real box containing fake cigars?

Common occurrence. You appear to have two authentic cigars here.

Here's a similar example: http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=124036&hl=%2Bwrapper+%2Bdifference#entry623680

Opinions vary on wrapper shade preference, you can search that topic here and probably find hours of reading material.

I'm in the camp that values thinness of wrapper above everything else.

Common occurrence. You appear to have two authentic cigars here.

Here's a similar example: http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=124036&hl=%2Bwrapper+%2Bdifference#entry623680

Opinions vary on wrapper shade preference, you can search that topic here and probably find hours of reading material.

I'm in the camp that values thinness of wrapper above everything else.

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm glad my question was regarding Petit Edumundos and not the Robustos Supremos, or I would have been just a little more concerned haha!

lol3.gif

I'd be curious to hear how the light wrapper version smokes. Many folks prefer light wrappers across the board.

I did a bad thing...

I smoked it tonight, and I only got it today. Patience is not one of my stronger points I'm afraid.

That said, I still thought it smoked beautifully. Yes it could have done with some time in the humidor, but on the whole the lighter wrapper PE was an enjoyable smoke.

It's funny, I did not enjoy many of the darker-wrapped PEs because they were so packed that it felt like smoking a solid cement stick with a wrapper leaf around it.

The lighter wrapper PE I got as a single was under filled. Irony of ironies. It had an almost hollow core and was exceptionally squishy. That said, it was at least smokable, and in the end I enjoyed it. It had all the creamy, hay notes you want in a smaller Monte, with at times a hint of cocoa and tea.

The lighter wrapper PE was far more flavorful than it's darker-colored brethren, but then maybe that was because I could actually draw air through it...

I prefer lighter shade wrappers but with a gold honey sheen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

For me it depends on the brand. For Monties, that deep brown with shades of rusty red is, to me, classic Montecristo, and I do like to see Monties with that darker leaf. I also find you stand a better chance of getting the cocoa and deeper cream flavor most look for in any regular-production Montecristo cigar.

That said, my lighter colored PE was far better than at least 8/10 of my previous, darker PEs, so what do I know! :-)

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about it.. Here is two different PE.. The newer band is from here and the older band is from another source that I do trust as well. Different boxes, different years, and difference sources but both are authentic.

image_32.jpeg

I took delivery of a box of PEs this week and they were lighter wrappers than the box already in my humidor. Same trusted vendor, legit cigars. I was disappointed hoping for dark and oily wrappers, but hopefully they'll be as good as my last two boxes with darker wrappers.

• 5 months later...

I have noticed that as well with the Montecristo line.  I have two different boxes of 2s, two different shades of wrapper color but both equally as impressive in construction and taste.  I do prefer the dark, oily ones though:P

As others have correctly stated, color/shade variation between the same cigar (even within the same year) is normal.  With a brand like Montecristo, which is produced in high volumes, you are likely to see wider shade variation.  

My personal preference for Montecristos is a rich chocolate-colored wrapper, but I've also had some good ones with the lighter wrappers.  I currently have a box of Monte #3 that have slightly lighter wrappers and they are smoking great. 

I've had great light wrapped Montes, and have recently received darker wrappers. I have smoked just on of dark MC5 so far, and it was pretty good, full of coffee and dark chocolate tones. But I didn't get the creamy side.

I have heard rumors that Cubans are prone to cooking their leaf a bit to rush them to market. I don't know this for fact, but it might explain the darkening shade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk