Need Reccomendations based on Preference

adamllado

I'm very new to the Cuban side of the Cigar Industry and I've actually never had a Cuban Cigar yet. Any idea what I should order if my preferences in Non-Cuban Cigars are full-bodied, spicy, meaty, and earthy?

I also hear most Cubans are far more nuanced and mild compared to their Nicaraguan Brothers.

Adam Llado (Smoking Bull)

Well go slow read what other members say here and above all be kind and well mannered to your brothers / sisters

on this site. This site is not a right but a privilege provided by our host Rob and his great staff. Rob and Diana (place

orders with her) work very hard in keeping us members happy and well stocked. This is the best "bang for your buck"

for CC's on the planet hands down. You won't find any better quality than here. If going the CC route then start with a cigar

that is mild to medium and attempt to find the flavour you like by finding a site or listening / talking with others

(here) and get a feel / taste for your pleasure.

• Like 1

I'm still pretty new to the game, but the heavy hits in spice and pepper for me have been in Saint Luis Rey. Some of the best C&C I have had which are on the fuller side have been Partagas Shorts and Bolivar Petit Corona.

Careful, this site will do great harm to your CC's (Credit Cards)! ok.gif That said, welcome to the world of (mostly) much better cigars!

Personally, I found that smoking and thoroughly enjoying Cubans left the experience with NC's not so satisfying as they once were. That's not a bad thing, just the way it evolved. You are correct (IMHO) that Cubans seem to be more refined and definitely not as harsh. Hopefully, others will chime in here.

I'd caution that "nuanced" does not necessarily equal "mild." I too love a very full bodied cigar, and can honestly say I've never had one that is too strong, either in nicotine or flavor.

NCs tend to come in larger ring gauges because, IMO, that's the only way they can get a "big flavor" to the smoker. Although, truth be told, CCs have (relatively) recently added some larger RGs as well.

I compare NC and CC as hamburger to steak. They are both beef. If you honestly prefer hamburger, fine. Most beef (cigar) lovers progress from hamburger (NC) to steak (CC). While many steak lovers, myself definitely included, still love an occasional hamburger.

No NC I've ever had really "developed" over the smoke like a CC does. This is the "nuance" you've heard of.

Try a sampler. After a few CCs, try another NC. Taste the difference. If you really prefer NC, there's nothing wrong with that. The only time I'd say there's something "wrong" is if you say the NCs taste exactly like the CC, in which case I'd recommend you simply buy the cheapest cigars you can find and live happily. Very few smokers fall in this category, btw.

- MG

• Like 1

I always recommend the excellent samplers offered by our host for those new to CCs.

My personal recommendation for a cigar that's really full-bodied and hearty right now is Juan Lopez Selection #1 or #2. These are much fuller than they used to be and very similar to the fullness you tend to find in many current Nicaraguans.

Try to find a sampler that includes JL #1 or #2, and good luck on your CC adventures!

Come in to it with an open mind and palate. You won't find quite the same profiles in any Habanos as those you mention.

There is earthiness, spice, leather and more to be found. Just in a different way than you're used to.

Enjoy the journey.