SPEARFISHING - Greatest Hits, show us yours.

StingMeadery

Nice ...that king fish take you for a ride ..or did you nail it .

Got the ride

Bombed straight down to 30m and used my reel to play it back up, was awesome.

The Kingfish gun I use is an Alemanni Stilo Express 115 Carbon fibre roller gun with inversion rubbers and 8.5mm shaft ...its an Oceanslayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice work enjoy    little scary to get in the water at the moment 2 people taken by great whites in the last week .

Yeah doesn't take long to realise the food chain can easily get reversed in the water

Life is for living to the fullest...

"Better to burn out than fade away" - Highlander

Snapper that size would be an absolute dream fish in Australia, especially where I'm from in Melbourne. We usually hunt plate size pinkies down here. The only real snapper I have landed was in NZ. The Kingfish make great sashimi. I do the triangle section next to the gill plate near the belly as sashimi and the belly as island style ceviche with coconut milk and lime juice, the tail as steaks and the back section as chunks for teriyaki skewers on the barbie served with Japanese mayo for dipping.

• Like 1

The Kingfish make great sashimi. I do the triangle section next to the gill plate near the belly as sashimi and the belly as island style ceviche with coconut milk and lime juice, the tail as steaks and the back section as chunks for teriyaki skewers on the barbie served with Japanese mayo for dipping.

Love your Kingfish cuts and recipes

The Bellyflap triangle is the best Sashimi ever ay

Going to try Poly Island style raw fish as suggested, though in NZ we normally use Snapper or Trevally.

Made some new Spearfishing mates from Melbourne earlier this season, Watto, Kiwi, Mitch and another guy who were on a Trans Tasman Spearo road trip

• Like 2

16 hours ago, StingMeadery said:

Love your Kingfish cuts and recipes

The Bellyflap triangle is the best Sashimi ever ay

Going to try Poly Island style raw fish as suggested, though in NZ we normally use Snapper or Trevally.

Made some new Spearfishing mates from Melbourne earlier this season, Watto, Kiwi, Mitch and another guy who were on a Trans Tasman Spearo road trip emoji2.png

Yep, I know those guys. They are part of the Southern Freedivers. They dive quite a bit and do comps. Younger than me though. I've dived with Watto a few years back at Wilson's Prom Islands in South East Victoria. Got my only Vic kingfish that day. But recently Watto and a few other guys were out there and had an encounter with a Great White that buzzed them so unfortunately that spot is only for the those with a death wish. You might want to join the Southern Freedivers and Shipwreck Coast Freedivers Facebook pages. Those guys feature a bit. 

• Like 1

On 9 June 2016 at 3:12 PM, StingMeadery said:

Took Two of my personal best fish in the last two trips to the same spot, Arid Island on the Eastern Coast of Great Barrier Island, New Zealand.

NZ Snapper 8.2 Kg

7b9210802464432a15f45685bdaf9195.jpg

NZ Kingfish 18-20kg (unweighed)

58af8f2dea7868866289f67fb5bb18da.jpg

Great fish ,enjoy!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 13 September 2016 at 2:54 AM, philtastic said:

I'm so jealous! Ever scuba and spear fish? I've been thinking of incorporating it into my scuba for a while now, or is it just as easy to free dive?

Depends on whether you are allowed to legally spearfish on scuba in the area you are in. I am strictly a freedive spearo. It also would depend on what fish you are after. Kingfish seem to like a bit of commotion but snapper spook easy. You wouldn't go deer hunting in a tractor. Free diving when performed well can offer better results because you are more at one with the ocean and essentially make less noise and movements that are unusual. Sometimes you can sneak up on fish, other times you gain the trust of the fish in the area and they are curious as to what you are up to and come over for a look, hoping for an easy feed. As the Fijians say, "make friends with the fish first, then shoot it". With some fish species you can dive to the bottom and casually toss up clouds of sand and fish get curious. Some other species are best surprised when they are attracted by burley. Free diving spearfishing also depends mostly on the skill of the diver and their breath-hold ability. Experience also counts and knowing your species and terrain. But spearing on scuba can get pretty good results from what I've seen on Youtube. I just like the feeling of free diving a lot more.

• Like 2

I'm so jealous! Ever scuba and spear fish? I've been thinking of incorporating it into my scuba for a while now, or is it just as easy to free dive?

I'm with Bill, half of the enjoyment of the art form of Spearfishing is the aesthetic and skill...the rest is the stalk and the kill, plus you get to eat fresh fish

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice! I saw this pic and went looking for a couple good ones I had. Turns out they are on my last phone with a blacked out screen. They were from a trip to the Elbow off our coast. Had a stringer of 18-20# ones. Still have yet to get one over 20#. 

9 hours ago, steelcity said:

Nice! I saw this pic and went looking for a couple good ones I had. Turns out they are on my last phone with a blacked out screen. They were from a trip to the Elbow off our coast. Had a stringer of 18-20# ones. Still have yet to get one over 20#. 

Just happened to be at the right spot at the right time