Favourite Cheap and chearful

SlimOne

I am curious what everyone's favourite inexpensive Cuban cigars are.

Specifically what has been the most consistent flavour wise.

Not that I like smoking short filler cigars but from time to time I have to ration out the better puros.

Myself I tend to lean towards the Jose L Piedra "Cremes"

I've been touting the JLP Petit Cetros pretty hard over the last couple years since I kind of rediscovered them. They've become my all-day-puffing cigar. The price simply cannot be beat ($1.35-$1.70 each) and they are pretty darn consistent for me (20+ per box are good.) I can smoke 3-5 of these a day, all day, and don't feel bad about putting one out if necessary. I've had some that are straight-up 90 pointers for me, and none worse than 86-87 points. 

Not had any luck with the JLP Brevas, Nacionales and Cazadores. They all smoke inferior to the Petit Cetros for me. Plus, I find a larger format gets a little tiring with the profile. The Cetros leaves me satisfied.

For a premium C&C, I go for PL Panetelas, HU Majestics and RyJ Mille Fleurs. 

• Like 1

Quintero Favoritos!

Not consistent, to be fair, but I've kept mine at around 60-62rh and this certainly helps. A bit wetter and they burn very unevenly. They have a basic tobacco flavour (doh) and enough bite to keep your interest. My Mrs hates the way they smell but sometimes a chunky unsophisticated cigar is just the thing. I do like them and the price is good. Always have a box on hand. They've come up on 24:24 a couple of times this year already and I'll be all over them like a rash on their next showing.

JLP are OK - but the Cazadores can be hard work and I've rarely got through one without doing that face you pull whilst holding the cigar away from you and glaring at the smouldering end.

Huge fan of the PLMC, haven't tried the Quintero Fav. Will buy in my next order!

Gotta be done - I'm happily smoking one now!

• Like 1

I recommend the cheap and cheerful Jose L Piedra Conservas paired with a pot of strong Russian Caravan tea (I have it black).  There are better cigars out there, but this pairing is a marriage made in heaven.  Duck and oranges; gin and tonic; sirloin steak and chargrills; JLPCON and Russian Caravan.  

• Like 1

Great little thread @SlimOne, I've been away from FOH since 2012, really helped me reorient to the C&C's that are worthy right now. For me, I've had $30-$40 cigars that have been an utter disappointment and $3 sticks that have been amazing. I lean toward value these days for sure -

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I really like the HU Half Corona as it is a great cheap short smoke. One of my other favorites is the ERDM Demi Tasse. I am also considering getting a box of  Quinteros since I noticed how well priced they are!

I really like the HU Half Corona as it is a great cheap short smoke. One of my other favorites is the ERDM Demi Tasse. I am also considering getting a box of  Quinteros since I noticed how well priced they are!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know it's an old thread but could someone please edit the title so that "cheerful" is spelt correctly. It bugged me a year ago and now it's back!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:17 PM, jcorona said:

HdM coronations tubo. Love those sweet cocoa/coffee notes. Good intro to the whole HdM line.

My buddy and I are thinking of doing a box split to try these out. How long do you recommend letting them sit before digging in?

• Like 1