U.S. Based Cell Service in Cuba Thread

Ethernut

AT&T has a deal but no package is being offered to the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saxman

When I called AT&T they told me my phone would work and they gave me a list of rates. I have a cel line in Cuba so I didn't pay such close attention to the rates because they were higher than what it would cost me with Cubacel.

• 2 weeks later...

Just set up my service in Cuba with Verizon. $2.99/minute for calls,  $0.50 outgoing and $0.05 incoming texts. 

• Like 2

I was close to getting one of those Estonian Sims. When I read the fine print that outgoing texts were .85/text and not .15/text. Pretty much sent me right back to ATT which is similar to yours @Habana Mike

• Like 1

Until this summer for $10 a day I could use my phone in Cuba the same way I do at home; all the talk text and data my plan allowed which is basically unlimited. Now for Cuba it is pay per use at $2.50 per minute, .75 text sent, .25 text received but the killer is $1.50 per MB on data. Will try to avoid using any data and keeping it to text messages.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ethernut said:

I was close to getting one of those Estonian Sims. When I read the fine print that outgoing texts were .85/text and not .15/text. Pretty much sent me right back to ATT which is similar to yours @Habana Mike

Give an update how it goes.  Several of us going thxgiving week

2 hours ago, Bohn007 said:

How available is WiFi? With AT&T, as long as you are connected to WiFi, the calls are free, I believe. 

Wifi is about as available as it was back in the early 2000's. only in a few places, about $6/hr and about 56k of bandwidth. 

• 4 months later...

Looks like I didn't revisit this after my trip. Quick and dirty. 

AT&T worked fine, of course you're on Cubacel while there. Texts and minutes are disproportionately expensive, but hey, you're doing your part to support the government. Everywhere we had connectivity texts and calls worked just fine. I think as I recall I ended up spending around $100 more on my bill for my texts and calls from Cuba.

E

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2017 at 2:41 AM, 1moreVice said:

Any update on Verizon functionality in Cuba?  Curious how well things are working

As I recall, Verizon had agreements in place in Cuba before AT&T. Youre good to go but fees are steep no matter which carrier we use from the US. I would call them and ensure youre set up for roaming there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ethernut said:

As I recall, Verizon had agreements in place in Cuba before AT&T. Youre good to go but fees are steep no matter which carrier we use from the US. I would call them and ensure youre set up for roaming there.

Got it, that's what is sounds like - Thanks for reaffirming!

With the Cubacel service incoming texts, emails and calls are free. The person making the call pays for it. Although you have to get set up for email. Calls under 6 seconds used to be free, don't know if that is true anymore.  If someone calls you from a Cuban cell phone with a "99" before and after the phone number (on your screen), you are paying for the call if you answer. John

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2016 at 8:50 AM, Habana Mike said:

Just set up my service in Cuba with Verizon. $2.99/minute for calls,  $0.50 outgoing and $0.05 incoming texts. 

Mike,

How did this work for you last year? I went without a phone last year, which was ok, but won't cut it for this years trip. I would prefer to use my existing phone, rather than getting a Cuban one, but if it doesnt work very well I have no problem getting a temp number through cubacel. 

3 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Mike,

How did this work for you last year? I went without a phone last year, which was ok, but won't cut it for this years trip. I would prefer to use my existing phone, rather than getting a Cuban one, but if it doesnt work very well I have no problem getting a temp number through cubacel. 

Didn't make any calls but texts worked well.

• Like 1