CC Relative Humidity vs. NC Relative Humidity

I'm noticing that many members are keeping their CC's relative humidity a good deal lower than their NC's relative humidity.  Is there a specific reason for this?  I'm currently keeping my CC's at 67-69%, is this too high? 

• Like 1

Too high.  CC's smoke, burn, and taste much better in the low 60's, even high 50's.  Store 'em like you smoke 'em.  Why bother with dry boxing, which only works if the stick is dry boxed for several days in the mid to high 50's.  Now, long term aging of CC's is a different matter.  Most here, I believe, would say they long term age around 65%.  But anything over 65% for CC's will give you an uneven burn, and a harsh taste.  Also, CC's are more susceptible to smoking conditions in high humidity.  If you smoke a CC outside in 80 or 90% humidity, you will want to throw away the cigar about half way through.  I think CC's are affected by this more than NC's.  Some say CC's have a thinner wrapper than NC's.  Smoking too fast will also ruin a good CC.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, stogieluver said:

Too high.  CC's smoke, burn, and taste much better in the low 60's, even high 50's.  Store 'em like you smoke 'em.  Why bother with dry boxing, which only works if the stick is dry boxed for several days in the mid to high 50's.  Now, long term aging of CC's is a different matter.  Most here, I believe, would say they long term age around 65%.  But anything over 65% for CC's will give you an uneven burn, and a harsh taste.  Also, CC's are more susceptible to smoking conditions in high humidity.  If you smoke a CC outside in 80 or 90% humidity, you will want to throw away the cigar about half way through.  I think CC's are affected by this more than NC's.  Some say CC's have a thinner wrapper than NC's.  Smoking too fast will also ruin a good CC.  

+1 on this.  

Longstanding debate which continues on.  My personal preference. Few months ago everything was at 65/65 now I am at 60/70 CC and 68/70 NC.  My CCs are smoking better than ever.  NCs are about the same.  Considering going down to there with my NCs as well.  See if I like them that way.  Just gotta find what you like best really.  

You guys are killing me over here... slaughtering fine cigars (the ones made in Cuba) by smoking them at 70rH. (weep, weep...) (That is taps you hear playing in the background now!)

Yuk... like chewing Bazooka chewing gum while smoking, or dipping them in Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill, or something!

Lord I am making myself sick here...!

I cannot take it, I am just gonna' report this thread for bad taste....! -Piggy

@Sean3 Don't take it personally mate, I am just having fun on your thread, read with levity please!!! Welcome to the forum, and dry out your cigars!!!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sean3 said:

Thanks for all the input guys...and no worries PigFish, I appreciate the input.  Turns out I have a lot to learn about cigars, go figure.

You can call me Piggy! Glad you are of good humor. Best of luck on your journey and welcome again to the forum!

-Piggy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stogieluver said:

Also, CC's are more susceptible to smoking conditions in high humidity.  If you smoke a CC outside in 80 or 90% humidity, you will want to throw away the cigar about half way through.  I think CC's are affected by this more than NC's.

I've found this to be very true. I would only add that larger rg cc's seem to be less susceptible to high humidity during smoking than the skinnies. At least this is my experience. I've been smoking 50/52s this summer with much greater success than any of my pc's. 

2 hours ago, vladdraq said:

Piggy, i was wondering about something these days. Combustion leads to water, right? So what would matter 55-60-65-70 Rh in your cigar, when you're pulling through   vapour anyways? 

If combustion lead to water, there would be no such thing as a fire department!!! -LOL

I think I am missing something here, please try again!!! -P

Lately, I've been set at 62% and 67 degrees F. I'm sure it's not perfectly dialed in (that may take years, as I gain experience as cigars age), but I'm getting good results without dry boxing: I can choose any cigar out of the humidor, clip, head out onto the porch, and I'm good to go.  Maybe there are better combinations, but I'm developing a bit of a "feel" around this particular RH/temp area.  At the end of the day, my cigars are very good.  Works for me!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, planetary said:

Lately, I've been set at 62% and 67 degrees F. I'm sure it's not perfectly dialed in (that may take years, as I gain experience as cigars age), but I'm getting good results without dry boxing: I can choose any cigar out of the humidor, clip, head out onto the porch, and I'm good to go.  Maybe there are better combinations, but I'm developing a bit of a "feel" around this particular RH/temp area.  At the end of the day, my cigars are very good.  Works for me!

I think that is what matters... It is all about individual taste. I just like being BOORISH about it... -LOL

Discovering and maintaining your 'sweet spot' is inspiring to say the least.

-the Pig

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jdouglas said:

it's almost like we could use a whole sub-forum where we could talk about humidity exclusively and forever.    amen.

.... you make my mouth water!!! -LOL

39 minutes ago, planetary said:

You can call it "The Trough".  :D

That's it, kick a brother where it hurts!!! -LOL

-Piggy

• Like 1

CC just smoke better (to me) at 59-65% RH, although I age them in the higher 60s.

I keep my Dominicans at 70% RH for both aging and ready-to-smoke storage.

I have read of people who prefer CC at these higher RH, but I am not one of them.

Been aging my CC and NC collection at 65% RH for years. Taste and burn have been fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk