An Amazing Rum

jwr0201

Now, I really do enjoy a good aged rum with a nice cigar.  One of life's great pleasures.  My previous favorite has been Zaya with it's overbearing vanilla tones.  I read on this forum somewhere about El Dorado 12 and the demerara rum style.  Absolutely fantastic taste!  Smooth, sweet, but not sweet, deep, spicy, balanced.  This is a regal spirit that has few equals.  Hard to admit, but nicest rum I've sampled by a wide margin.  Recommended!

• Like 3

I'll have to look it up! Not very knowledgeable about Rum, care to expound on Demerara style? How is it different than Diplomatico Reserva Extra or Zacapa 23?

Zacapa 23 is a solera blend of aged rums from 6 to 23 years of age.  This is  called fractional blending.  The oldest rum is 23 years old.  However, the average age of the blend is much younger. Solera style rums are aged over proof level and then are cut to the proper strength during bottling.  This is not to say Zacapa is not splendid.  It is considered by many to be one of the finest rums made.  

El Dorado 12 is a Demerara rum and is a blend of aged rums not less than 12 years of age. This style is made in Guyana.  Demarara rums are made exclusively from sugarcane grown in the Demarara region.  Unique, ultra smooth aged rum!

• Like 3

Well now you have my curiosity up. I have been a rum drinker since I was about 3 and downed one of my parents rum and coke while they were popping corn. Best nap I ever took! Since then my tastes have varied from the harsh silver or white rums to the smoother darker and aged rums. I find Zaya and Zacapa to be very good but a touch too sweet for me. This El Dorado sounds very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2016 at 7:22 AM, Dijit said:

Well now you have my curiosity up. I have been a rum drinker since I was about 3 and downed one of my parents rum and coke while they were popping corn. Best nap I ever took! Since then my tastes have varied from the harsh silver or white rums to the smoother darker and aged rums. I find Zaya and Zacapa to be very good but a touch too sweet for me. This El Dorado sounds very interesting.

Try the Zafra 21 yr old.

Zaya tastes like candy next to this one.

If I could rate these based on sweetness, the lowest is Zafra, then Zacapa, with Zaya being the sweetest.

Honestly, I think Zaya is just expensive Captain Morgan.

IMG_20160715_175627.jpg

Hmmmm wonder if I can get that one here in Indiana

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Wow, some really nice recommendations here..........will have to search out a few........like I need more things to buy!!! :lol:

3 hours ago, garbandz said:

I have tried all the above, all are good drams.

I would rate Diplomatico above all of them.  wider range of flavors, less fiery,and very smooth.

Not expensive comparatively.

My next trip to the rum store will have me bringing home a bottle of Diplomatico.Too many people talking about how good it is. ;)

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2016 at 3:35 PM, scap99 said:

Try the Zafra 21 yr old.

Zaya tastes like candy next to this one.

If I could rate these based on sweetness, the lowest is Zafra, then Zacapa, with Zaya being the sweetest.

Honestly, I think Zaya is just expensive Captain Morgan.

IMG_20160715_175627.jpg

Got a bottle of this from Specs last night.  Holly Mother of Mary was it a great pairing with a cigar.

Great recommendation, which I fully endorse!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bundwallah said:

Try the Zacapa XO.  Not as sweet as the 23YO but far more complex. Drinks more like a Cognac than a rum.

Love the Zacapa XO. Picked up the Centenario Edicion Negra as it is also supposed to be less sweet than the standard 23. Looking forward to trying it with the Sydney boys at our next catch up.

And I have to say, the El Dorado 12yr old is a bloody fantastic sipping rum.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:30 PM, jwr0201 said:

Now, I really do enjoy a good aged rum with a nice cigar.  One of life's great pleasures.  My previous favorite has been Zaya with it's overbearing vanilla tones.

Zaya is great and very well priced.  Hard to beat.  There's one brand of rum from India (Old Monk) that is really good if you are on a budget.  Probably like $12 USD bottle and it's 8 years old.  Highly recommended, especially if you're just using it in mixed drinks.

On 9/26/2016 at 8:07 AM, garbandz said:

I have tried all the above, all are good drams.

I would rate Diplomatico above all of them.  wider range of flavors, less fiery,and very smooth.

Not expensive comparatively.

Is this the one you are referring to?

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1034842

I find the el dorado 12 to be a bit too sweet for my taste. The Bacardi 8 is a bit light, but nice.  Really like the Zacapa 23 - some nice spice and complexity.  But my favorite go-to sipping rum, and what I think is the best value going, is Cuban Havana Club Anejo 7 that I buy on Grand Cayman (where we visit often) at the duty free shop.  My last purchase a couple of months ago was $16/bottle.  And it's now legal to bring home to the States along with your CCs!

On 12/4/2016 at 8:21 AM, mi000ke said:

...But my favorite go-to sipping rum, and what I think is the best value going, is Cuban Havana Club Anejo 7 that I buy on Grand Cayman (where we visit often) at the duty free shop.

Never been much of a fan of Havana Club; for me it's quite similar to Bacardi.  Have you ever tried pre-embargo Cuban Bacardi?

10 hours ago, mosesbotbol said:

Never been much of a fan of Havana Club; for me it's quite similar to Bacardi.  Have you ever tried pre-embargo Cuban Bacardi?

Never had the pleasure.  

(BTW, have you had a chance to visit Cigar and Lounge in Watertown? Great place to smoke, especially now that winter is here and smoking outside is not a great option.) 

10 hours ago, mi000ke said:

Never had the pleasure.  

(BTW, have you had a chance to visit Cigar and Lounge in Watertown? Great place to smoke, especially now that winter is here and smoking outside is not a great option.) 

No, I have not had a chance to visit there.  I smoke in my living room or dining room, so getting me out of the house to smoke is a real task!  Even when smoking was allowed in bars and night clubs in MA, I hardly smoked at them.  Sad that there's only one place to smoke cigars in the whole city of Boston.

There's more places to smoke hookah's and pot in our City than cigars!

3 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Sad that there's only one place to smoke cigars in the whole city of Boston.

There's more places to smoke hookah's and pot in our City than cigars!

Stanza is nice in the north end for a smoke every now and then but I do agree about the hookah's, its never fun getting stuck next to a section smoking hookahs. I don't think they have the ventilation for it really.