An Amazing Rum

jwr0201

1 hour ago, BMWBen said:

Stanza is nice in the north end for a smoke every now and then but I do agree about the hookah's, its never fun getting stuck next to a section smoking hookahs. I don't think they have the ventilation for it really.

I don't mind sitting next to someone smoking hookahs, cigarettes, or pot, but I need ventilation!   The opposite is no good either.  Places with strong ventilation; I can hardly taste the cigar!  Some wafting smoke is nice, but it can't be overboard.

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2016 at 7:21 AM, mi000ke said:

I find the el dorado 12 to be a bit too sweet for my taste. The Bacardi 8 is a bit light, but nice.  Really like the Zacapa 23 - some nice spice and complexity.  But my favorite go-to sipping rum, and what I think is the best value going, is Cuban Havana Club Anejo 7 that I buy on Grand Cayman (where we visit often) at the duty free shop.  My last purchase a couple of months ago was $16/bottle.  And it's now legal to bring home to the States along with your CCs!

Try the El Dorado 15.  To me it is completely different than the 12.  Not sure if it is blended different, but I don't think it is the same stuff just 3 more years of age.  Awesome with a cigar too.

I've tried most mentioned here.  Of them all, the El Dorado 21 is my favorite by a margin.  The Zacapa 23 is good; have a bottle of the XO I need to dig into.  I found the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva just ok, and not particularly worth a re-purchase.

On 26/09/2016 at 9:59 PM, kinglingcheng said:

hah i just tired a bottle of Bacardi Ocho 8 year old rum ,  and absolutely cigar worthy bro Rum.jpg

Have to agree with the sentiments.  Just finished up a bottle.  Nice drop and a perfect accompaniment to a good cigar.

• Like 1

For everyday drinking, I'm a fan of the Bacardi Select and 8 year.  El Dorado isn't my style.  I've had a bottle of Zaya open for ages, never touch it.  The Zacapa is good, haven't tried the XO yet.  Gotta try the Diplomaticos, lots of people seem to love it.  My favorite so far has got to be Bacardi Riserva Limitada, found it on sale near me and stocked up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

While picking up a bottle of bourbon this evening I decided to browse the rum aisle.  After looking at darn near every bottle on the shelf I decided to roll the dice on the Flor de Caña Centenario 12 yr.  I am extremely impressed.  What a wonderful sipping rum!  Extremely smooth and well balanced with a subtle sweetness.  Flavors of caramel and walnuts, baking spices and a bit of oak in the background.  Good stuff for sure.  :party:  

110773.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/28/2017 at 11:25 PM, MahDooRow said:

While picking up a bottle of bourbon this evening I decided to browse the rum aisle.  After looking at darn near every bottle on the shelf I decided to roll the dice on the Flor de Caña Centenario 12 yr.  I am extremely impressed.  What a wonderful sipping rum!  Extremely smooth and well balanced with a subtle sweetness.  Flavors of caramel and walnuts, baking spices and a bit of oak in the background.  Good stuff for sure.  :party:  

110773.jpg

Very nice bottle of rum! If you ever get the chance, pick up the 18 year old as well. It's another step above this one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2017 at 7:03 AM, Rustyman said:

Just got at bottle of the Mount Gay XO which was on special at Dan Murphy's.  Will try that with a good cigar.

Just bought a bottle of Mount Gay XO myself, which came highly recommended.  I’m curious how you liked it and what you paired it with.  

I’d stuck to Havana Club 7 and Kaniche XO for so long, I need to expand my options!  Hope the Mount Gay XO is as good as they say!

56 minutes ago, cmbarton said:

Just bought a bottle of Mount Gay XO myself, which came highly recommended.  I’m curious how you liked it and what you paired it with.  

I’d stuck to Havana Club 7 and Kaniche XO for so long, I need to expand my options!  Hope the Mount Gay XO is as good as they say!

Haven't cracked the bottle yet but as soon as I do, I will give some feedback.