HDM Epicure Deluxe EML JUN15-HDM Review Comp. 2016

zeedubbya

Smell from foot is like sweet hay. 

Sweet Tobacco and a definite chocolate taste pre light.  

1st Third--Starts off with a bang, very surprising start.  Not the creaminess I usually associate with Hoyo.  Very strong toasted tobacco and an ashy taste.  Surprisingly strong bodied in your face smoke.  I haven't had this cigar before but expected a chocolate cream bomb from what I've read about these.  This one is not like that at all so far.  Going to slow way down and see if it doesn't get better.  Right now not all that great.  

2nd Third-

Settles down some, and get a bit of a chocolate taste but it's a bitter harsh chocolate even smoking it as slow as I can.  Burn is getting pretty rough.  I watched a review a couple weeks ago where Rob and Ken did an aged Siglo 2 and Rob said it had too much ligero--I am wondering if this is the case here?  Everything I've read about the Epicure Deluxe says a light-medium chocolate bomb, but this is not like that at all.  It has a very earthy, rough main flavor which overshadows the sweetness and chocolate barely there in the background.  

Final Third-

Burn got pretty bad and cigar was very harsh so I chucked it early. I tried all the tricks in the book with re-lights, purges, purges with flames, slowing down, speeding up, letting it go out.  Nothing.  Just a bad blend on this one I think.  Not enjoyable.  Have a box of these and I look forward to trying another one in a few months which might change my opinion of these.  Hopefully.  Life's too short to smoke bad cigars!  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have the same EML JUN 15 box of HDM Epi DeLuxe and the first one I had was not like this review at all. It was creamy and light, no problems with the burn, I enjoyed it immensely! Try another from the box and see if there is any difference from the one you reviewed. Also, judging by the pictures, your sticks have darker wrapper, my box is somewhat lighter.