Any worthy whisky recommendation?

kinglingcheng

Whisky price been up again in the current OZ market , sad .

And some brand start doing foundation series instead of their 12 years, even worse.

i was in one of Dalmore tasting event in Asian-region , they get some great 18 years ,not even expensive. but some stores here rob your money with a bottle of cigar malt , cause you pay >120 bucks!

Any nice single malt , bourbon, Rye  recommend? brand and price plz , thanks

Night.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ahight.. I'm a bout ta throw down! Backstory, I'm from Kentucky and love Bourbon. (Which pretty much makes me an expert, or perhaps it's the, I think, 48 open Bourbon Bottles in my pantry - but I

This in single barrel is around $65 to $75 and is one of my absolute favorites.

picked this up yesterday for $49 USD. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@shlomo  mate, shame on them, cigar malt 150 cdn ? that's crazy    ,i feel like a bottle of cigar malt maybe 80-90 USD may all right ? i know they selling a bottle of 15 years single malt (Dalmore) for like 650 CNY which means aronud 110 AUD there lol .

Depends on what your tastes are.  I have no idea what your prices are like, but I'm a fan of the classic Bruichladdich at a low price point ($40-$50).  I think their Octomore 7.3 is incredible but it's on the higher end at $150USD, do note it's incredibly peated.  Crown Royal Rye won rye of the year last year and is a fantastic bang for your buck as it's cheap as all hell ($20-$30USD)

Not sure how much I can help price wise, as living in Los Angeles, we're quite spoiled with some of the lowest prices in the world.

1 hour ago, kinglingcheng said:

@Hurltim mate , i tried 12 year double wood, brilliant drop, rich smooth.

Thanks for the recommendation on Blaton's , never tried before.

Blanton's is REALLY hard to find. Personally, I think it's way better than Pappy Van Winkle and delivers nice, rounded bourbon flavors of vanilla and caramel. Great stuff if you can get it and not really that expensive.

• Like 1

I very recently tried the Oban 14 and really enjoyed it. Smooth, a bit honeyed, apple / pear. I don't drink singles too often, so I don't know how it might compare, quality-wise, to others. It looks to go for between U.S. $70 and $80 at my locals. I'm thinking of getting a bottle at some point.

Ill take a bourbon beat down like thay any day!
Four Roses added to the list to try. Thanks!
I had the Knob Creek lineup Saturday. The only one I liked was the single barrel--Very tasty. The sales rep is a good friend of the wifey so he let me partake in some Makers Mark Barrel Select (nfs)--holy crap was that good!.
I followed that up with a free shot of Pappy's and moved on to Colorado wiskey companies and getting sloshed.
I will toss up George Dickel Barrel Select. Not really a bourbon but tasty and inexpensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

@Hurltim Come to KY and you shall have one.. :rotfl:

Colorado dont know nuthin bout makin' Bourbon! :D Besides, they buy their barrels from us and slap a label on it (High West in Utah anyone?? :ph34r:). 

By the way, Four Roses helped High West learn how to make payroll early on. Neat story..

http://qz.com/697411/a-utah-distillery-proudly-drags-the-whiskey-industrys-dirty-little-secret-out-of-the-shadows/

Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 can be very good. I respect what they're doing. 

MM Barrel Strength is quite good as a wheated whiskey - very christmas spices, Christmas candy flavors. 

we get all KY burton expertise here , which is great .

thanks all ya for the recommendation , definitely gonna give a shot on Pappy and Four rose .whats the entry level bourbon , i can feel the differences?

And any single malt guy here , we need some single malt advice now hah 

So

Many

Great

Singlemalts.. Hard to know where to begin.. Here's my shortlist.

In my Cabinet Regular Production

• Laphroig Quarter Cask *
  • Ardbeg 10
  • Ardbeg Correyvrecken *
  • Ardbeg Urgedial
  • Springbank 12 Cask Strength * 
  • Caol Isla *
  • Glenmorangie 10 *
  • Lagavulin 16 *
  • Talisker Storm
  • Old Pultney
  • Macallan 12 Cask Strength 
  • Highland Park 12
  • Dalwhinnie 15

The * are next to my favorites -

41 minutes ago, kinglingcheng said:

whats the entry level bourbon , i can feel the differences?

Entry Level Bourbon would be the Old Forester Signature posted above, for entry level folks I add a bit of water to reduce the heat until they learn how to drink it. That is where I would start anyone. Four Roses Yellow Label is quote approachable also, but at 80 proof it's a little light for me. (side note, I _cant stand_ Basil Hayden for this very reason, 80 proof whiskey at 40 bucks.. LOL and gimme a break :rolleyes: - an example of Marketing)

There is only 2 things happening in the world of Whiskey. Marketing and Whiskey. The prettiest bottles don't necessarily have the best whiskey. 

• Like 2

@Ethernut you had me at WR Doubled Oaked and Russels Reserve. I don't have 50 open bottles but have been known to have a half dozen empties of the two above. But I still love Basil Hayden's. (I also drink Stagg neat)
And for me fall is bourbon drinking. And I can not wait for the cool nights and warm belly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Ethernut  true on marketing and whisky strategy ,   cooperation like Suntory is best example  ,i mean look at them,  they get blends bourbon like Jim Bean, Marker's mark (both sucks), and  Canadian clubs, royals, yamazaki,  Laphroaig, Hakushu, Hibiki, Kakubin Chita and fking Bowmore(only cooperated). Damn i feel like they get everything there in the market. And price been boomed up recent years on Yamazki , Bowmore , Hibiki, now people start chasing all these shit.

Personally i value whisky if its worthy that much money.Don't get me wrong,  i'm not a expert, but bro have you try the new Glenlivet founder's reserve, It used to be the 12 years single malt, and some kick ass whisky , but now damn , undrinkable at  all. 

Any way, thanks all ya for the bourbon list.   head to liquid store now  

Bowmore.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jfire said:

@Ethernut you had me at WR Doubled Oaked and Russels Reserve. I don't have 50 open bottles but have been known to have a half dozen empties of the two above. But I still love Basil Hayden's. (I also drink Stagg neat)
And for me fall is bourbon drinking. And I can not wait for the cool nights and warm belly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it very much neat! ?

IMG_0376.JPG

• Like 1

I have in the past 5 years become a bourbon hound. That's hard when you are Canadian to find some of the more rare stuff. 

Big fan of Evan William Single Barrel $25-$35 in US and $50+ in Canada. Some bottles are better than others but that's what Single Barrel is all about. 

Blantons is a good choice too for bourbon. Excellent gift as it is a very unique presentation. 

Not a huge scotch fan. Have a few bottle I keep for pals who are but I think it is just too expensive. 

There are also lots of good ryes where I am from. I have praised it before on this site, but try Alberta Springs Premium if you can find it. It is made from 100% Rye and it is cheap $25-$30. I know, I know Canadian whiskey has weird rules about how it's made and some distillers do things to their product that a lot of purists feel is wrong. But that is only some, not all. Do your research and keep an open mind, if you are interested in trying something not everyone is talking about. 

• Like 1