Any worthy whisky recommendation?

kinglingcheng

Guest robertsccr5

I had a bottle, long gone now. I've got a bottle of Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask though. Nowadays with all the limited releases it's getting tough to find the same Whisky a few months or a year apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't tried the Caribbean cask yet. I have bottles of Founders Reserve, 15yr sherry, signature, double wood, and triple cask (1L from Duty free)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ahight.. I'm a bout ta throw down! Backstory, I'm from Kentucky and love Bourbon. (Which pretty much makes me an expert, or perhaps it's the, I think, 48 open Bourbon Bottles in my pantry - but I

This in single barrel is around $65 to $75 and is one of my absolute favorites.

picked this up yesterday for $49 USD. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a big Balvenie fan. 12 year double wood is a staple and a great buy. Just finishing the 15 year single cask. The Caribbean Cask is fantastic and my fav of the 3. But the best Balvenie is the 21 year Port wood.

However, Bruiladdich has stolen my heart. Working on this glorious dram right now:
72af6bbffc28315da53fac32d0cb112d.jpg
Highly recommended!
Cheers! ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I was feeling adventurous and decided to try Barrell Whiskey Batch 004.  This company is not a distiller, nor do they claim (or infer in any of their marketing materials) to be a distiller.  However, the reviews of their products have been quite good.  They seem to have a talent for creating interesting blends and for employing creative finishing techniques.  

Barrell Whiskey Batch 004 was blended from 11 year old whiskey distilled in Indiana and Tennessee, finished in used rum casks and rye barrels and bottled at cask strength (120.6 proof).  This is the first of their products that I have sampled and I have to say that I really liked it.  The influence of the rum casks is very evident on the nose as well as on the palate, but the whiskey still has good overall balance.  I got flavors of honey and pineapple on the front end followed by a burst of heat and spice with some vanilla and sweet oak on the finish.  

If you like your whiskey at cask strength and are in the mood for something a little different then I'd definitely recommend you give Barrell Whiskey Batch 004 a try.  I quite enjoyed it.  :)

barrell-whiskey-004-600x530.jpg

On the more traditional end of the spectrum I also recently sampled the third offering of 2017 from the Booker's Small Batch series, "Front Porch Batch".  I love anything and everything Booker's and this batch did not disappoint.  The reviews of Front Porch Batch have been somewhat tepid and I will admit that this is not the best batch I've had.  However, on balance it's still very good.  You get that traditional Booker's corn sweetness with a noticeable amount of vanilla, a moderate amount of burn and an oaky finish.  The finish on this batch is shorter than usual, but not short enough to cause any reason for complaint.      

2017-03_grande.jpg?v=1508237015 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

First time I tried Booker bourbon was in a cigar shop called La Luna on Caille Ocho in Miami about 15 years ago. The owner; Gael, had launched the La Luna cigar brand and he was manning the shop that day. He invited me in for a smoke and led me to a very cozy little lounge area he had setup with some leather armchairs near the back of the store. As we sat down and lit our cigars he pulled out an unopened bottle of dark aged Booker. We smoked and drank for a couple of hours chatting and enjoying the company. He was very hospitable. I still recall that pour and that memorable experience quite fondly. The La Luna brand didn't survive, but I still have a few sticks kicking around in my humidor. The African Fuerte torpedo was my favorite of the brand, they had a toothy Cameroon wrapper that put out a terrific aroma. It was a decent smoke, and it paired quite nicely with Booker.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:38 PM, Ethernut said:

Ahight.. I'm a bout ta throw down!

Backstory, I'm from Kentucky and love Bourbon. (Which pretty much makes me an expert, or perhaps it's the, I think, 48 open Bourbon Bottles in my pantry - but I digress LOL)

Opinions as these are, I'll say I think pound for pound the best Bourbon out there is consistently coming from Four Roses. They're still, amazingly, stunningly, frustratingly under the radar. 

Why?

Four Roses is doing something that no one else in the Bourbon industry is - They have 10 Bourbon Mashbills. How so? They have 5 runs at 20% Rye (Low Rye) and 5 runs at 35% Rye (High Rye) and they're using 5 different yeast strains per run. This gives them the control and variety within their end-product thats second to none. My advice? Seek out and buy Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Strength releases. My Favorite recipes are OBSV (vanilla caramel yeast) and OBSK (spicy yeast) (and full disclosure the F and O recipes aren't my favorites but they might be yours). Check out this infographic below, open it and zoom in... Four Roses are producing their SBBS Bottles at $72/Bottle US. It's the best deal in the entire industry for super-premium Bourbon. Is it better than Pappy? Yes. Yes. All motherfreaking day long... and its' generally available. This Infographic does not show their SBBS line but it's simply one mashbill bottled at barrel strength. This is what I drink all the time when I want that next-level experience.

16FRB1118_Infographic_c5-2.jpg

IMG_8071.jpgIMG_8072.jpg

On Pappy...

I live 30 minutes from where Pappy, Buffalo Trace, BTAC, Colonel EH Tayor, Woodford, Four Roses, and Wild Turkey are made. Let me say something else controversial. Pappy is at best "Very Good" whiskey, it is not the best whiskey. Buffalo Trace are masters at creating scarcity and demand. Do I love me some Buffalo Trace products? Yep. Just sharing the truth. Want another truth? Pappy has one mashbill and that mashbill is also used to create Old Weller 12 Year (and I think Old Weller Antique 107). Want some Pappyish whiskey on the cheap? Buy those.

How bout another wicked good under-the-radar Bourbon? Single Barrel (55% alcohol) Russels Reserve from Wild Turkey. It's incredible stuff for $55. Currently $49 at my Costco and I bought 7 bottles of the stuff because I put it up against my benchmark FR SBBS OBSV and was pleasantly surprised! It had serious juevos!

IMG_8102.jpg

These are all super premiums frankly that represent the top 5% of what is possible, period in a bourbon barrel. Possible to improve on that much? Nope..

I also recommend Woodford Double-Oaked if you like that sweet-woody-oaky profile at $55/bottle.

Here's one that I LOVE that's super inexpensive at around $22/bottle. Old Forester Signature 100 Proof. It's a 3 trick pony of Sweet, Vanilla and Toasted Oak Barrel. you can drink it neat and it's fantastic value or you can mix it to create a top-shelf cocktail and feel like you've done nothing wrong..

old-forester-signature-100-bottle.jpg 

If you find yourself coming through Lexington KY.. Forget the Bourbon Trail, PM me.. My hospitality is legendary. We'll sit on the deck and I'll feed you the best bourbon in the world until you tap-out!

giphy-3.gif

Love the Buffalo Trace products,  Just found 2 bottles of Weller 12, after searching for 2 years.  

On 9/27/2016 at 2:38 PM, Ethernut said:

Ahight.. I'm a bout ta throw down!

Backstory, I'm from Kentucky and love Bourbon. (Which pretty much makes me an expert, or perhaps it's the, I think, 48 open Bourbon Bottles in my pantry - but I digress LOL)

Opinions as these are, I'll say I think pound for pound the best Bourbon out there is consistently coming from Four Roses. They're still, amazingly, stunningly, frustratingly under the radar. 

Why?

Four Roses is doing something that no one else in the Bourbon industry is - They have 10 Bourbon Mashbills. How so? They have 5 runs at 20% Rye (Low Rye) and 5 runs at 35% Rye (High Rye) and they're using 5 different yeast strains per run. This gives them the control and variety within their end-product thats second to none. My advice? Seek out and buy Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Strength releases. My Favorite recipes are OBSV (vanilla caramel yeast) and OBSK (spicy yeast) (and full disclosure the F and O recipes aren't my favorites but they might be yours). Check out this infographic below, open it and zoom in... Four Roses are producing their SBBS Bottles at $72/Bottle US. It's the best deal in the entire industry for super-premium Bourbon. Is it better than Pappy? Yes. Yes. All motherfreaking day long... and its' generally available. This Infographic does not show their SBBS line but it's simply one mashbill bottled at barrel strength. This is what I drink all the time when I want that next-level experience.

16FRB1118_Infographic_c5-2.jpg

IMG_8071.jpgIMG_8072.jpg

On Pappy...

I live 30 minutes from where Pappy, Buffalo Trace, BTAC, Colonel EH Tayor, Woodford, Four Roses, and Wild Turkey are made. Let me say something else controversial. Pappy is at best "Very Good" whiskey, it is not the best whiskey. Buffalo Trace are masters at creating scarcity and demand. Do I love me some Buffalo Trace products? Yep. Just sharing the truth. Want another truth? Pappy has one mashbill and that mashbill is also used to create Old Weller 12 Year (and I think Old Weller Antique 107). Want some Pappyish whiskey on the cheap? Buy those.

How bout another wicked good under-the-radar Bourbon? Single Barrel (55% alcohol) Russels Reserve from Wild Turkey. It's incredible stuff for $55. Currently $49 at my Costco and I bought 7 bottles of the stuff because I put it up against my benchmark FR SBBS OBSV and was pleasantly surprised! It had serious juevos!

IMG_8102.jpg

These are all super premiums frankly that represent the top 5% of what is possible, period in a bourbon barrel. Possible to improve on that much? Nope..

I also recommend Woodford Double-Oaked if you like that sweet-woody-oaky profile at $55/bottle.

Here's one that I LOVE that's super inexpensive at around $22/bottle. Old Forester Signature 100 Proof. It's a 3 trick pony of Sweet, Vanilla and Toasted Oak Barrel. you can drink it neat and it's fantastic value or you can mix it to create a top-shelf cocktail and feel like you've done nothing wrong..

old-forester-signature-100-bottle.jpg 

If you find yourself coming through Lexington KY.. Forget the Bourbon Trail, PM me.. My hospitality is legendary. We'll sit on the deck and I'll feed you the best bourbon in the world until you tap-out!

giphy-3.gif

One day I'd love to take you up on this (and the trail)!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bierz said:

One day I'd love to take you up on this (and the trail)!

You're more than welcome. Travel Tip: My house has better bourbon than the trail. Not quite as pretty tho!

Since Rutledge left the price of 4R1B has gone up $10 at my local... maybe coincidence but the train is moving on 4R.

They have had underpriced bourbon for quite awhile but soon will be right up there trying to get their market share on the premium price tag.

It wasn't long ago the Private SB's were $60 and an extreme value, those days are gone as well. 4R is some of my favorite bourbon, their LE's have topped most BTAC/Pappy the last 5 years IMO.

Since Rutledge left the price of 4R1B has gone up $10 at my local... maybe coincidence but the train is moving on 4R.

They have had underpriced bourbon for quite awhile but soon will be right up there trying to get their market share on the premium price tag.

It wasn't long ago the Private SB's were $60 and an extreme value, those days are gone as well. 4R is some of my favorite bourbon, their LE's have topped most BTAC/Pappy the last 5 years IMO.

Single barrel is $29.95 here. I’ve stocked up.

Private single barrel from KL Wines are always priced at $64.99

On 4/5/2018 at 12:23 PM, Lotusguy said:

Single barrel is $29.95 here. I’ve stocked up.

Private single barrel from KL Wines are always priced at $64.99

Yeah, I would stock up too at those prices. Single barrel now runs $42 to $48 with the barrel picks at $80.

On 4/2/2018 at 6:42 PM, KJND said:

Rutledge exit has nothing to do with the Four Roses increases. The demand has everything to do with it. Bourbon demand right now is beyond insane. Locally (I live in central Kentucky) a rare bottle for $100 can be flipped for $300 into the local/national market same day.

I remember when SBBS was $52. I bought a case if 17.5 year OBSV and still have one left. They are charging $72 at the gift shop these days for SBBS and it’s till quite a value vs some of the crap that’s hitting the market for twice the price.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...