Screw Top Wine Bottles

polarbear

Had a few beers with my old man last night and somehow we got onto the topic of bottle tops*

I made mention that a colleague of mine told me that Penfolds had a large number of different vintages of Grange bottled with screw tops lids and were cellaring them next to the same vintages bottled with cork. I guess the plan is to cellar the two styles of seal for a long-ish period of time to see if there is a noticeable difference in taste before Grange moves to screw caps. 

Any of the more learned members here know if this is true?
With most of the Australian wine industry using screw caps almost exclusively it makes sense that even our "most prestigious" brand would move to them eventually after a little RnD

For the record, Dad thought I was full of it

*just remembered, the subject of screw caps came up after the old man couldn't get the lid off his stubby and spent 5min digging through the kitchen draws looking for a bottle opener

• 2 months later...

I aged a screw top bottle for like 7-8 years and was fine.  It's one of my favorite daily quaffer's that I highly recommend... 

Saint Cosme "Little James' Basket Press". It's a cuvee of different vintages blended together.  Quite common in Rhone, but usually for just in house/vineyard drinking.  I can only think of one other Rhone like that which is Pere Anselme “La Fiole du Pape” Chateauneuf-de-Pape (NV). 

• 3 months later...